Post-Brexit - buying bike parts abroad . . (incl. Rose/DutchBikeParts)

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jdsk

Re: importing bike parts after Brexit

Post by Jdsk »

amediasatex wrote:
andrew_s wrote:
amediasatex wrote:Never mind importing them, right now you can’t even order a Brooks Saddle if you’re in the UK
https://www.brooksengland.com/en_uk/uk-shipping-notice

I’m sure it’ll all be sorted at some point but just goes to show how it’ll take a while to work out the kinks if the new arrangements

It's the Brooks web shop that's based in Italy, and won't send to the UK.
Supplies to regular shops are direct from the factory, and unaffected, so you can still order via St John St, Wiggle, or wherever, and that won't stop.

Presumably the Brooks web shop got merged into the Selle Royal webshop at some stage post takeover, and is now just a skin.

Well yes, I was just pointing out that the product itself is made in the UK, yet can’t be ordered directly from their website if you’re in the UK, due to their EU based distribution setup. It made/makes perfect sense when we were in, and they won’t be the only company that made use of the ease of cross-EU rules, but once administrative barriers get in the way due to leaving things need to be re-evaluated.

As I said I’m sure it’ll all get sorted out but it IS a good example of the issues that will crop up, some expected, some unexpected, that will need sorting out.

As posted in another thread:
"Brooks England distributor reacts to stories claiming saddle sales to the UK have stopped due to Brexit"
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/brooks-england-distributor-reacts-to-stories-claiming-saddle-sales-to-the-uk-have-stopped-due-to-brexit-487164

Jonathan
Brucey

Re: Post-Brexit - buying bike parts abroad . . (incl. Rose/DutchBikeParts)

Post by Brucey »

back in the good, er, bad, er, well 'old' days anyway -where personal imports were effectively obstructed by various means- the UK was known as 'treasure island' in more than one business sector, because the market was (to a greater extent than most others in Europe) full of 'captive' punters.

If there are business sectors which perceive a benefit from the playing field not being level any more (and there are, lots of them), they will use whatever means at their disposal (lobbying in Westminster, bribing/funding political parties, etc etc) so that things work out best for them. Big business will be pulling strings and this will usually be at the expense of the little guy in business and of course the customers.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

Jdsk wrote:
amediasatex wrote:
andrew_s wrote:It's the Brooks web shop that's based in Italy, and won't send to the UK.
Supplies to regular shops are direct from the factory, and unaffected, so you can still order via St John St, Wiggle, or wherever, and that won't stop.

Presumably the Brooks web shop got merged into the Selle Royal webshop at some stage post takeover, and is now just a skin.

Well yes, I was just pointing out that the product itself is made in the UK, yet can’t be ordered directly from their website if you’re in the UK, due to their EU based distribution setup. It made/makes perfect sense when we were in, and they won’t be the only company that made use of the ease of cross-EU rules, but once administrative barriers get in the way due to leaving things need to be re-evaluated.

As I said I’m sure it’ll all get sorted out but it IS a good example of the issues that will crop up, some expected, some unexpected, that will need sorting out.

"Brooks England distributor reacts to stories claiming saddle sales to the UK have stopped due to Brexit"
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/brooks-england-distributor-reacts-to-stories-claiming-saddle-sales-to-the-uk-have-stopped-due-to-brexit-487164

Jonathan

Yes... and as stated above you can’t order directly from their webshop, I know you can still order from LBS via their UK distributor but LBS stock of Brooks is patchy at best and special orders have extra delays etc. So many people have been ordering direct from brooks happily for ages.

I’m not Implying it’s a ‘sky is falling’ type problem, but as I pointed out it’s a good example of the kind of administrative hiccups and barriers that will come to light and need sorting.

Barriers that were not there before due to cross-EU integration of rules etc, but barriers that are there now.

Look beyond the Brooks example and it’s affecting other bike (and non-bike) companies too where significant portions of their inventory, or components for their products were easily sourced from the EU, and now are being delayed or have extra hoops to jump through.

It’s not insurmountable and there will be solutions, but right now it’s causing some ripples in supply chains or ability to order from sources that were previously painless.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Psamathe wrote:...
Like the GB <-> NI paperwork that apparently could be thrown in the bin (according to our PM)....

To be fair that was referring to the EUs claim that pointless expoert declaration forms were required from NI to mainland uk and he did get the eu to relent.

The Eu seems to be requiring more checks than necessary in the other direction though
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

SA_SA_SA wrote:
Like the GB <-> NI paperwork that apparently could be thrown in the bin (according to our PM)....

To be fair that was referring to the EUs claim that pointless expoert declaration forms were required from NI to mainland uk and he did get the eu to relent.

Johnson said no checks either way:
"There's no question of there being checks on goods going NI/GB or GB/NI because they are part of - if you look at what the deal is, we're part of the same customs territory and it's very clear that there should be unfettered access between Northern Ireland and the rest of GB."
https://www.itv.com/news/2019-12-08/boris-johnson-insists-no-brexit-checks-between-northern-ireland-great-britain-labels-leaked-treasury-document-wrong

Jonathan
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

amediasatex wrote:
Jdsk wrote:
amediasatex wrote:Well yes, I was just pointing out that the product itself is made in the UK, yet can’t be ordered directly from their website if you’re in the UK, due to their EU based distribution setup. It made/makes perfect sense when we were in, and they won’t be the only company that made use of the ease of cross-EU rules, but once administrative barriers get in the way due to leaving things need to be re-evaluated.

Jonathan

Yes... and as stated above you can’t order directly from their webshop, I know you can still order from LBS via their UK distributor but LBS stock of Brooks is patchy at best and special orders have extra delays etc. So many people have been ordering direct from brooks happily for ages.

I’m not Implying it’s a ‘sky is falling’ type problem, but as I pointed out it’s a good example of the kind of administrative hiccups and barriers that will come to light and need sorting.

Barriers that were not there before due to cross-EU integration of rules etc, but barriers that are there now.

Look beyond the Brooks example and it’s affecting other bike (and non-bike) companies too where significant portions of their inventory, or components for their products were easily sourced from the EU, and now are being delayed or have extra hoops to jump through.

It’s not insurmountable and there will be solutions, but right now it’s causing some ripples in supply chains or ability to order from sources that were previously painless.

In relation to Brooks, I’ve e-mailed them direct and then rang the factory to get the information I needed - they refurbished a titanium saddle with the Brooks select leather- and dealt directly with the factory thereafter: excellent service.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Jdsk wrote:
SA_SA_SA wrote:

"There's no question of there being checks on goods going NI/GB or GB/NI because they are part of - if you look at what the deal is, we're part of the same customs territory and it's very clear that there should be unfettered access between Northern Ireland and the rest of GB."
https://www.itv.com/news/2019-12-08/boris-johnson-insists-no-brexit-checks-between-northern-ireland-great-britain-labels-leaked-treasury-document-wrong

Jonathan

I thought you were referring to the time I saw him mentioning tearing up bits of paper and he was refering directly to the uk to ni pointless export declarations the EU were claiming they should require.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

SA_SA_SA wrote:
Jdsk wrote:
SA_SA_SA wrote:To be fair that was referring to the EUs claim that pointless expoert declaration forms were required from NI to mainland uk and he did get the eu to relent.

Jonathan

I thought you were referring to the time I saw him mentioning tearing up bits of paper and he was refering directly to the uk to ni pointless export declarations the EU were claiming they should require.

Part of the problem summarised
https://www.indy100.com/news/boris-johnson-brexit-irish-sea-trade-border-control-9513536 wrote:Boris Johnson promised no customs checks in NI, months after privately agreeing to customs checks
Boris Johnson faces more accusations of misleading the public after the government confirmed that, despite claims to the contrary by Johnson, there will be checks on goods crossing the Irish Sea.

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

SA_SA_SA wrote:
Jdsk wrote:
SA_SA_SA wrote:To be fair that was referring to the EUs claim that pointless expoert declaration forms were required from NI to mainland uk and he did get the eu to relent.

"ni" is part of "the uk".

Do you mean "GB to NI" or "NI to GB"?

Thanks

Jonathan
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

I
Jdsk wrote:
SA_SA_SA wrote:
Jdsk wrote:Johnson said no checks either way:

"ni" is part of "the uk".

Do you mean "GB to NI" or "NI to GB"?

Thanks

Jonathan

I do know that ... guess why :)
I appear to have mistakenly typed the wrong abbreviation :oops:
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Now I'm completely confused... what's the point that you're making about trade across the new border in the Irish Sea? I've already quoted Johnson's own words containing the lie. Is it that there's a recorded example when he was telling the truth?

Thanks

Jonathan
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

The, local perhaps , news questioning I was referring to was ONLY referring to the EUs entirely unreasonable demand that ni to gb freight needed a pointless export declaration and his negotiators did manage to get that.
Simple enough?

It is a pity about the less important other direction but I hold some remain mp's partly responsible due to their last minute shenahigans scuppering of the govs limited negotiating strengths (already weakened by Mrs Mays approach) .

I think the EU deserves some criticism for its treatment of Northern Ireland : it was using ni as a lever while claiming the high ground....
wheelyhappy99

Post by wheelyhappy99 »

A few days ago I posted information I received from a small Dutch training company which set out that they will no longer supply me with books because the UK government decided to withdraw from.the MOSS VAT agreement, as I understand it used by both EU member states and non member states. Basically too costly to register for UK VAT and too much hassle.

This evening I'm on the other end of this, trying to send an overdue Christmas gift to my son's school exchange friend in Germany, the original courier having cancelled the booked collection just before Christmas. I've had to select options from a succession of nine drop down menus to come up with a Tarriff Code for customs. And that's having entered my VAT status as 'Personal Individual'. I don't have the time or patience to play around and see what hurdles come up if I pretend to be a company trying to export something. If it's remotely similar trying to send something here I'm not surprised EU based companies have concluded it's too much bother.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

wheelyhappy99 wrote:A few days ago I posted information I received from a small Dutch training company which set out that they will no longer supply me with books because the UK government decided to withdraw from.the MOSS VAT agreement, as I understand it used by both EU member states and non member states. Basically too costly to register for UK VAT and too much hassle.

Not true.

MOSS is only for EU members. The separate registration is a necessary function of the UK being outside the EU.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

thelawnet wrote:
wheelyhappy99 wrote:A few days ago I posted information I received from a small Dutch training company which set out that they will no longer supply me with books because the UK government decided to withdraw from.the MOSS VAT agreement, as I understand it used by both EU member states and non member states. Basically too costly to register for UK VAT and too much hassle.

Not true.

MOSS is only for EU members. The separate registration is a necessary function of the UK being outside the EU.

Whether it's true or not doesn't alter things a teeny-weeny bit if it's what's happening in real life.