Re-proofing wax for Carradice cotton duck

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
brumster

Re-proofing wax for Carradice cotton duck

Postby brumster » 28 Nov 2020, 9:32pm

Any recommended alternatives to Carradice Wax for Re-proofing wax for cotton duck saddlebags?

Cymro74

Re: Re-proofing wax for Carradice cotton duck

Postby Cymro74 » 28 Nov 2020, 11:27pm

Fabsil can be bought in large 5 litre tins from ebay and you can also use it on lots of things like coats, tents etc

pete75

Postby pete75 » 29 Nov 2020, 11:05am

Gold Label Wax - a much more economical purchase than Carradice's own. It seems better than Barbour own brand. Works well on Carradice stuff.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gold-Label-W ... SwlpNfGYTg

brumster

Postby brumster » 29 Nov 2020, 7:09pm

pete75 wrote:Gold Label Wax - a much more economical purchase than Carradice's own. It seems better than Barbour own brand. Works well on Carradice stuff.

Thanks Pete - Looks like a good option.

pwa

Postby pwa » 29 Nov 2020, 8:15pm

brumster wrote:Any recommended alternatives to Carradice Wax for Re-proofing wax for cotton duck saddlebags?

Just out of curiosity, why not use Carradice's wax? It is only a fiver. It isn't as if it needs doing often. My cotton duck bag has been going for more years than I can remember with no leaks.

Failing that, you want another wax.

londonbikerider

Postby londonbikerider » 30 Nov 2020, 8:01am

pete75 wrote:Gold Label Wax - a much more economical purchase than Carradice's own. It seems better than Barbour own brand. Works well on Carradice stuff.

I second that. Good value for the money.

JakobW

Postby JakobW » 30 Nov 2020, 8:39am

The Carradice wax is rebranded (literally - with a Carradice label stuck on the tin lid) Millerain reproofing wax, but it's about the same price elsewhere. I just used Barbour wax, because I had half a big tin of it in the back of the cupboard.

NUKe

Postby NUKe » 30 Nov 2020, 2:38pm

I used barbour wax for Wax cotton jackets Tin lasts for ever just warm it dab it on. leave the item in front of an open fire to warm and it impenate
NUKe

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 30 Nov 2020, 2:46pm

Mmm, liking the sound of that as 'very special' beeswax for Fjallraven garments, which is from exotic Swedish bees, wot consume only the finest fragrant forest flowers is like a zillion pounds for a tiny block you have to hold with special Nordic tweezers its so small, themselves costing an arm & a leg, innit...
(rides: Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)

pwa

Postby pwa » 30 Nov 2020, 2:48pm

JakobW wrote:The Carradice wax is rebranded (literally - with a Carradice label stuck on the tin lid) Millerain reproofing wax, but it's about the same price elsewhere. I just used Barbour wax, because I had half a big tin of it in the back of the cupboard.

I think I would do the same if I had some wax treatment already to hand, but if I hadn't I would just buy the Carradice branded item if there were not much money to be saved, because it is bound to be the right formulation and buying from Carradice puts money into a company a lot of us would hate to lose. If it were an expensive rip off I'd look around, but it isn't.

rmurphy195

Postby rmurphy195 » 1 Dec 2020, 6:54pm

Cymro74 wrote:Fabsil can be bought in large 5 litre tins from ebay and you can also use it on lots of things like coats, tents etc

I use this fior the hood on my car, much cheaper than the official stuff ....
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !