GPS cycling computer

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
iandriver

Re: GPS cycling computer

Postby iandriver » 2 Dec 2020, 7:36pm

I bought a silicon case for mine pinched two holes in it, pit it on a lanyard and it's made a very nice walking device.

It also attaches to the dogs collar quite nice with some cable ties.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....

eoi2621

Postby eoi2621 » 3 Dec 2020, 3:50am

Thanks i don't own a smartphone but do have a gps speeedp

KTHSullivan

Postby KTHSullivan » 12 Dec 2020, 11:37pm

simonineaston wrote:Back when I trained for various aspects of outdoor pursuits, which included navigation, obs., one of the bedrocks of micro-navigation was to learn about one's pace. The morning of day 1 on the basic course was spent finding out how far we each travelled, over 100 paces, the effect of a slope on that distance, the time it takes and so on. The trainer's promise that these basic measurements don't change much for an individual turned out to be true. I wonder if they're still taught on the modern equivalent of the courses I took 30 years ago, inspite of the increase in availability of electronic devices that use gps postioning. 'Manual' though the old ways are, they can be surprisingly accurate - and of course don't suffer from the risk of the batteries going flat, or breaking if dropped.

+1 for this, I am not a great lover of electronic navigation equipment, although I do use them on occasions for cycling. I have a pace tally card on the same lanyard as my walking compass that has proved invaluable over the years. I am also of the opinion that the batteries cannot run out on a map and compass.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:

rmurphy195

Postby rmurphy195 » 17 Dec 2020, 4:52pm

"Accuracy" is down to the sampling interval your GPS uses, and whether its adjustable. On my Garmin I have the sampling rate set to something (can't remember, maybe 1- or 2second intervals). At walking pace the dots are close together. At riding pace they are further apart (going faster) so corners show up as a series of straight lines that record the corner as being shorter than it really is so you appear to lose distance!

So if you don't change the sampling rate on your bike GPS you should get super-accurate measurements when walking around corners, unless you can run at 20mph all the time!

If you compare reading on your bike GPS and an accurately set-up wheel bike computer the GPS distance may appear shorter for a ride where both are recording at the same time.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 17 Dec 2020, 5:03pm

My Montana is set for 4yds interval. It'll go down to 1yd interval.
Max recording rate is once per second though, so if you're walking (or cycling) quickly, it's a 1sec interval maximum.
They create rather large GPX files! :D
Mick F. Cornwall