Hedge Clipping

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
BobSweet

Hedge Clipping

Postby BobSweet » 2 Dec 2020, 5:08pm

I have seen much more hedge clipping than usual on the Manchester/Cheshire border. Is there a new government subsidy for cutting hedges and leaving all the mess on the road?

flat tyre

Re: Hedge Clipping

Postby flat tyre » 2 Dec 2020, 5:14pm

Yes, I think they get paid according to the amount of mess they leave on the road with an extra bonus payment if a cyclist gets a puncture. :D

pedalsheep

Postby pedalsheep » 2 Dec 2020, 5:37pm

Lancashire council seem to be taking the matter seriously (I don't know when this poster was originally issued.)

128749696_2820225758223474_5453051469621402760_n.jpg
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.

De Sisti

Postby De Sisti » 2 Dec 2020, 5:41pm

I suffered a front wheel puncture on Sunday due to hedge pruning taking place here, heading SE towards Bourton-on-the-Water.

[Edit: I even had Scwalbe Marathon Plus on my wheels]
Last edited by De Sisti on 4 Dec 2020, 5:55pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ant...

Postby Ant... » 2 Dec 2020, 5:43pm

I once got ten holes in the front tube and three in the rear after turning onto a freshly done lane. :lol: :roll:

philvantwo

Postby philvantwo » 2 Dec 2020, 6:27pm

A 13 hole bonanza!! Unlucky for some :(

mumbojumbo

Postby mumbojumbo » 4 Dec 2020, 7:13am

We have a young couple across road who constantly trim their bush-firethorn or pyrogira in Greek,and pavement not swept.Spoke to the mister,who replies
"|I do it to please my wife-see her about it"

Should I ask to have the bush trimmed less often?

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 4 Dec 2020, 10:34am

pedalsheep wrote:Lancashire council seem to be taking the matter seriously (I don't know when this poster was originally issued.)

128749696_2820225758223474_5453051469621402760_n.jpg

Interesting - I ride around lancashire quite a lot (Pendle area in particular) and do get more punctures than around London.

Mainly because of the common streams of water (rains a lot in those parts) flushing bits of stuff into the road though I think.

Nice to see that that poster is supported by the National Farmers Union.
Sweep

TrevA

Postby TrevA » 4 Dec 2020, 11:46am

Farmers aren’t allowed to cut their hedges during bird nesting season, from March to August. As soon as September comes around, they are out thrashing their hedges to bits, leaving a trail of mess behind them. Autumn also coincides with them having more time for jobs like this, as they can’t get on the fields to plough, etc and the harvest has finished. It’s actually better for wildlife if they don’t trim their hedges every year.

Farmers are also guilty of dragging vast quantities of mud onto the roads. A friend works in the building trade and he says they get fined if they leave mud on the roads, so employ sweepers, but obviously different rules apply to farmers who seem to be able to do as they please, with no consequences.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 4 Dec 2020, 11:49am

If only farmers would actually do hedging and not simply trash the tops. Hedges would become a huge asset in the countryside instead of the forlorn, inadequate thing they are.
John

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 4 Dec 2020, 1:01pm

TrevA wrote:
Farmers are also guilty of dragging vast quantities of mud onto the roads. A friend works in the building trade and he says they get fined if they leave mud on the roads, so employ sweepers, but obviously different rules apply to farmers who seem to be able to do as they please, with no consequences.

Not true. Report them I do :x
I’ve had two local successes this week. Road after maize harvest left thick with mud. After three weeks it was good to see a lad there yesterday with an old fashioned shovel and brush. A core path where cattle had been fed leaving 12” of slurry now all cleaned up. Of course I’ve no idea what prompted them to do these acts of public good. :wink:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 4 Dec 2020, 1:10pm

Paulatic wrote:
TrevA wrote:

Not true. Report them I do :x

Who too? Highways via pothole reporting (as I'd expect them to do nothing until next summer they are so slow at doing anything).

Ian

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 4 Dec 2020, 1:32pm

TrevA wrote:

I think you need to cut them a bit of slack on this.
Farming and soil/mud/slutch - who'd have thought it?
Maybe you shouldn't go into the countryside.
You might encounter the odd cowpat/farting cow.
There's a bit of difference between mud on a country lane and mud deposits left in a town/city.
Sweep

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 4 Dec 2020, 1:33pm

Who would have thought that you'd get mud on country roads left by tractors! A bit like farmyard odours and cockerel noise. How dare they!

PS Sweep must have posted at the same time as me. Great minds!
John

Pebble

Postby Pebble » 4 Dec 2020, 1:34pm

Had one a few weeks back, clippings all over the road was weaving in and out of it and then - click click click click click click - I had a 4 inch piece of hawthorn attached to the rear wheel, decided just to leave it, 10 mile of that clicking noise before the wood wore away, tyre was still inflated when I got home after another hour of riding. Found the embedded thorn and prised it out followed by the hiss of the air coming out. So it was well worth leaving it in, if I had pulled the whole twig out I would have had to mend it roadside. I have had a few like this with marathon plus, they seem to be able to hold the thorn and keep the air in ?