Hedge Clipping

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jdsk

Re: Hedge Clipping

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks

Jonathan
paddler

Post by paddler »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
grufty wrote:Mrs Grufty had a puncture this morning, a small shard of glass embedded in the tread. We always fix them on the hoof rather than riding on a constantly deflating tyre. We're averaging a puncture roughly every 10 days or so, they're usually thorns but this is the second glass shard in 3 weeks. Working along the tube, counted 8 patches before finding the hole, maybe time for a new inner!

Maybe time for a more resistant outer...

I don't recall getting a fairy visitation more than a handful of times in a decade of commuting every day...
(Well, apart from the time when I got sent the wrong size of tyre, and so was down to riding on canvas, I then cable tied on an even older worn set over the top of my worn to the canvas front tyres, that was OK. I've always had spares at home since then)

Have I read that last bit correctly? You cable tied an older set over the worn ones?
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

pwa wrote:
keyboardmonkey wrote:Out with the lads at the weekend. Really appreciated the foresight of asking the council to move the hedges back a bit when they resurfaced the roads for us...jpeg

We have a few like that around here and they are drovers' roads, formerly used as routes for driving ( as in, cattle walking with people and dogs encouraging them on from the rear) cattle to market.

Aye. A little further on we had the option of taking a ‘B’ road that I’ve seen carpeted with thorns, but we didn’t go that far.

I see your link was to the Glamorgan area. That pic was just south of the Humber Bridge in North Lincolnshire on NCN Route 1.

Coming home is even nicer and barely any traffic... :)

CFA8D934-01ED-46B2-831C-0F16FB831E86.jpeg
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Lets get a petition going to move all hedges 3m back from the road!
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Seems a bit hard on farmers who have enough to do without cosseting a few cyclists daft enough to miss the obvious.Glass is a different issue as breaking bottlesis not an integral part of manufacturing.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

On our ride today, we encountered a narrow Lane where the hedges on both sides had been cut and the debris and thorns just left strewn across the road. It got so bad that we had to turn back and go a different way. It’s just irresponsible!

It was Red Lodge Lane between Screveton and the A46, for anyone familiar with the area, right next to one of the most popular cycling cafes in the area.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Ianwhitwell

Post by Ianwhitwell »

Having moved to the country recently, I'm getting used to hedge cutting and mud, its a reality of the countryside. Its a working environment of the people who live and work here, it certainly doesn't exist for cyclists, I'm amazed by people whining about it and reporting it. Get a life.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Hedges grow and need to be trimmed.

Some people move into the country then complain about manure smells or cockerels. Others buy the Old Rectory, located next to the parish church, and complain about bells ringing.

Others cycle along country lanes in December and complain about hedge cutting.
John
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

We have cockerels galore inside an urban area,and hedges are flayed frequently.We do get a bit of manure and horse bobah.cyclists get free use of roads so must expect and accept a few thorns.
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

Almost universal that Farmers use gang lawnmower behind a tractor to cut hedges.
If they used the correct equipment it would automatically gather the debris. As any responsible tree surgeon would.
Sorry but this town v country arguement doesn't wash .
I cut my hedge, which is next to the highway. I collect the cuttings, and sweep up.
If I didn't I would fully expect to be sanctioned for littering .
I love the Countryside but this isssue is particularly irksome .
Free use of the road? Do you not pay rates?
Working Environment? Other trades don't leave their debris strewn on the carriageway.
Last edited by 9494arnold on 23 Dec 2020, 6:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

mumbojumbo wrote:..........cyclists get free use of roads ......

Have to call you out on that one. Roads are paid for from general taxation, so somebody who doesn't own a motor vehicle pays for the roads as surely as "Mr Toad" who moans about his car tax.
Beep-beep!
pete75

Post by pete75 »

9494arnold wrote:Almost universal that Farmers use gang lawnmower behind a tractor to cut hedges.
If they used the correct equipment it would automatically gather the debris. As any responsible tree surgeon would.
Sorry but this town v country arguement doesn't wash .
I cut my hedge, which is next to the highway. I collect the cuttings, and sweep up.
If I didn't I would fully expect to be sanctioned for littering .
I love the Countryside but this isssue is particularly irksome .
Free use of the road? Do you not pay rates?
Working Environment? Other trades don't leave their debris strewn on the carriageway.

How on earth can anyone cut a hedge with a gang mower?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

531colin wrote:
mumbojumbo wrote:..........cyclists get free use of roads ......

Have to call you out on that one. Roads are paid for from general taxation, so somebody who doesn't own a motor vehicle pays for the roads as surely as "Mr Toad" who moans about his car tax.
Beep-beep!

I think what he means is that for cyclists road usage is like the NHS , free at point of use.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Postby 531colin » 23 Dec 2020, 6:34pm

mumbojumbo wrote:
..........cyclists get free use of roads ......

Beep-beep!
Bike fitting D.I.Y. .....http://wheel-easy.org.uk/wp-content/upl ... -2017a.pdf
Tracks in the Dales etc...http://www.flickr.com/photos/52358536@N06/collections/

Well when I nip down shops by road its frse,and even Toad goes free -neither of us pay tax.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

mumbojumbo wrote:
Postby 531colin » 23 Dec 2020, 6:34pm

mumbojumbo wrote:
..........cyclists get free use of roads ......

Beep-beep!
Bike fitting D.I.Y. .....http://wheel-easy.org.uk/wp-content/upl ... -2017a.pdf
Tracks in the Dales etc...http://www.flickr.com/photos/52358536@N06/collections/

Well when I nip down shops by road its frse,and even Toad goes free -neither of us pay tax.

So, cyclists and motorists both get "free use of the road" ....ie neither pay for the road at the point of use., although both may pay for the roads in general taxation.
As it happens, I don't think a few thorns are anything much to make a fuss about, its part and parcel of being out and about on rural roads, and part of the farmers going about their lawful business, and in the general run of events it doesn't delay me at all....maybe one or two punctures a year.
Similarly, cyclists going about their lawful business don't in general delay motorists much, and so motorists always welcome cyclists sharing the roads.
.....oh, hang on a minute....... :wink: