Hedge Clipping

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Oldjohnw

Re: Hedge Clipping

Postby Oldjohnw » 24 Dec 2020, 9:12am

mumbojumbo wrote:
Postby 531colin » 23 Dec 2020, 6:34pm

mumbojumbo wrote:
..........cyclists get free use of roads ......

Have to call you out on that one. Roads are paid for from general taxation, so somebody who doesn't own a motor vehicle pays for the roads as surely as "Mr Toad" who moans about his car tax.
Beep-beep!
Bike fitting D.I.Y. .....http://wheel-easy.org.uk/wp-content/upl ... -2017a.pdf
Tracks in the Dales etc...http://www.flickr.com/photos/52358536@N06/collections/

Well when I nip down shops by road its frse,and even Toad goes free -neither of us pay tax.

If you don't pay income tax, for whatever reason (although you will pay VAT) you do indeed get road usage free, along with many other things (NHS, police, refuse collection). I don't begrudge that: it is the deal we have in a civilised society.
John

pete75

Postby pete75 » 24 Dec 2020, 3:44pm

Oldjohnw wrote:
mumbojumbo wrote:
Postby 531colin » 23 Dec 2020, 6:34pm

mumbojumbo wrote:
..........cyclists get free use of roads ......

Have to call you out on that one. Roads are paid for from general taxation, so somebody who doesn't own a motor vehicle pays for the roads as surely as "Mr Toad" who moans about his car tax.
Beep-beep!
Bike fitting D.I.Y. .....http://wheel-easy.org.uk/wp-content/upl ... -2017a.pdf
Tracks in the Dales etc...http://www.flickr.com/photos/52358536@N06/collections/

Well when I nip down shops by road its frse,and even Toad goes free -neither of us pay tax.

If you don't pay income tax, for whatever reason (although you will pay VAT) you do indeed get road usage free, along with many other things (NHS, police, refuse collection). I don't begrudge that: it is the deal we have in a civilised society.

Years ago when I was a government artist I didn't pay any tax of any description.

De Sisti

Postby De Sisti » 24 Dec 2020, 4:04pm

mumbojumbo wrote:Seems a bit hard on farmers who have enough to do without cosseting a few cyclists daft enough to miss the obvious. Glass is a different issue as breaking bottles is not an integral part of manufacturing.

De Sisti

Postby De Sisti » 24 Dec 2020, 4:05pm

mumbojumbo wrote:We have cockerels galore inside an urban area, and hedges are flayed frequently. We do get a bit of manure and horse bobah. Cyclists get free use of roads so must expect and accept a few thorns.

De Sisti

Postby De Sisti » 24 Dec 2020, 4:06pm

mumbojumbo wrote:Well when I nip down shops by road its frse, and even Toad goes free - neither of us pay tax.

9494arnold

Postby 9494arnold » 24 Dec 2020, 4:50pm

Seen gang mower or very similar in use on severeal occasions behind a Tractor.
Had to proceed very carefully as not just the road but me and my colleagues were being showered in the debris .
Farmer showed no intention in stopping his pursuit, even for a moment to let us pass on at least 2 occepasions (different farmers)
Absolutely nothing to collect the debris .

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 24 Dec 2020, 5:01pm

9494arnold wrote:Seen gang mower or very similar in use on severeal occasions behind a Tractor.
Had to proceed very carefully as not just the road but me and my colleagues were being showered in the debris .
Farmer showed no intention in stopping his pursuit, even for a moment to let us pass on at least 2 occepasions (different farmers)
Absolutely nothing to collect the debris .

I think you are confusing a gang mower with a flail mower.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 24 Dec 2020, 5:05pm

Don't you know your gang mower

OIP (5).jpg
Gang mower

from your hedge cutter?

download.jpg
Hedge cutter

Words fail me :wink:

mumbojumbo

Postby mumbojumbo » 24 Dec 2020, 7:13pm

My parsonomy means pay vat on fuel only,and occasional hardware items-about £100 pa all in

pete75

Postby pete75 » 26 Dec 2020, 9:50am

mumbojumbo wrote:

My parsonomy means pay vat on fuel only,and occasional hardware items-about £100 pa all in

You must be very small if you avoid VAT on clothing purchases.

andrew_s

Postby andrew_s » 26 Dec 2020, 6:32pm

Oldjohnw wrote:If you don't pay income tax, for whatever reason (although you will pay VAT) you do indeed get road usage free, along with many other things (NHS, police, refuse collection). I don't begrudge that: it is the deal we have in a civilised society.

Highway maintenance comes out of county/unitary council budgets, and therefore from council tax (other than trunk roads, which cyclists generally keepoff when possible).

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 26 Dec 2020, 6:34pm

andrew_s wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:If you don't pay income tax, for whatever reason (although you will pay VAT) you do indeed get road usage free, along with many other things (NHS, police, refuse collection). I don't begrudge that: it is the deal we have in a civilised society.

Highway maintenance comes out of county/unitary council budgets, and therefore from council tax (other than trunk roads, which cyclists generally keepoff when possible).

What fraction of those budgets is paid for by taxes collected nationally rather than through Council Tax?

Thanks

"In 2014-15 around a quarter of all budgeted revenue expenditure by local authorities was raised from council tax."
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/444993/2904001_LGF_web_accessible_v0_2__final_.pdf

Jonathan

mumbojumbo

Postby mumbojumbo » 26 Dec 2020, 10:30pm

[quote][Re: Hedge Clipping
Postby pete75 » 26 Dec 2020, 9:50am

mumbojumbo wrote:

You must be very small if you avoid VAT on clothing purchases.
/quote]
173 cm actually-use shops with vat exemption