Why does nobody want paper maps anymore?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
KTHSullivan

Re: Why does nobody want paper maps anymore?

Postby KTHSullivan » 11 Dec 2020, 7:27pm

A couple of Summers ago I purchased a replica Victorian OS map of the local area, I used to take that and the "modern" version out by way of comparing the tracks that existed then and now. It was quite notable that apart from the urban development very little had change over the years. A very interesting exercise.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:

Altissima

Postby Altissima » 11 Dec 2020, 9:33pm

We use 1:50,000 OS maps for day rides, touring and audax. We use Carradice bar bags with the clear plastic mapholders. We both love planning routes using OS maps

Altissima

Postby Altissima » 11 Dec 2020, 9:34pm

We use 1:50,000 OS maps for day rides, touring and audax. We use Carradice bar bags with the clear plastic mapholders. We both love planning routes using OS maps

pete75

Postby pete75 » 12 Dec 2020, 12:23am

chris_suffolk wrote:
pete75 wrote:
chris_suffolk wrote:The OP's original message asked why nobody wanted old maps, and that he had failed to sell any despite advertising on e-bay and elsewhere. That said, I PM'ed asking which ones were for sale as I could be interested. Nothing!!!! So, do you really want rid?

I want rid of all not piecemeal and was prepared to give them away not sell. They're all in a big box and it will take sometime for me to go through and list them all. Do you really expect instant answers to anything you may ask?

No I wasn't expecting an instant answer. But your original message never said that you wanted rid off them all in one go, it just said you were looking to get rid of them, there's a difference. Having read my PM, a quick reply to say you didn't have them listed etc would have been helpful, rather than just ignoring the request. I'll look elsewhere.

I'd have thought it obvious I wanted to get rid of the whole lot from what I posted. Anyhow make your mind up. First sentence says you didn't expect an instant answer, third says you did.

soapbox

Postby soapbox » 12 Dec 2020, 11:03am

rmurphy195 wrote:
Pneumant wrote:I think OS mapping is amongst the worlds best, especially the OS Paper maps. I have a couple of hundred and several copies of the ones in heavy usage. I also like the physical size of paper maps which, for me, definitely aid route planning decisions both on foot and awheel. Looking at the map after a bike ride checking where paths / roads intersect and confirming interesting landscape features such as ancient sunken lanes, earthworks and castles, is a guilty pleasure :D Apparently each map has an intentional error for copyright reasons, could be the shape of a wood or an additional road etc.

Totally agree, when we are planning a walk its these oddities that I look for to provide interest (I didn't realise that there is a moated farmhose in existence not 20mins from home until I studied the OS map and!). My 1:50000 tailored map was one I had produced recently specifically for cycling to save carrying 3 maps for when I pedalled over the edge, so to speak. I'm (as you can tell!) a great fan of OS - and after all, OS incur the costs of regular surveying (even with modern technology this can be quite high), this all has to be paid for somehow.

So glad there are still others out there who love the OS! I still regularly buy OS maps (for myself and to give to others) and never ever throw them away.

soapbox

Postby soapbox » 12 Dec 2020, 11:19am

pete75 wrote:Had a clear out and as a result getting rid of about 125 OS 1:50000 maps. Was collecting the whole country at one time but now I've got them all on Memory Map. Put on Ebay no takers, put on Freecycle no takers so now they're for burning. A shame really - you'd think someone would have a use for 'em.

What area of the country are you? I'd take them off your hands if nearby.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 12 Dec 2020, 11:32am

soapbox wrote:
pete75 wrote:Had a clear out and as a result getting rid of about 125 OS 1:50000 maps. Was collecting the whole country at one time but now I've got them all on Memory Map. Put on Ebay no takers, put on Freecycle no takers so now they're for burning. A shame really - you'd think someone would have a use for 'em.

What area of the country are you? I'd take them off your hands if nearby.

Thanks but I've already had an offer to collect - being picked up on Monday.

Stevek76

Postby Stevek76 » 12 Dec 2020, 5:46pm

Re OS map traps. They claim they don't use them but rely on 'stylistic' choices. I suspect what they're referring to there includes the simplification process that is required to declutter a map at 50k or even 10k scales. Small bends can be removed, objects shifted slightly (but still within the effective margin of error of the map), a great deal of cartography tricks and choices that are actually done to make the map more effective but it becomes a little blatant if a rival publication copies it wholesale as, particularly back then, they would have not had access to the full scale data so would have been constrained by the 'interpreted' representation.

Other companies such as A-Z have been known to use trap streets.

In the modern era of everything being digitised this perhaps becomes a little trickier, particularly if the copier knows what they're doing, though that really applies to copyright generally.

As for paper maps, I suspect hard to find takers as functionally for most people they are much less useful than digital gps enabled mapping. However there are still plenty of them about and people regularly having such clear outs so there's more than enough to go around for the collectors. Prime time to invest in a full set perhaps if you're into long term investments that can be taken to antiques roadshow by you/your offspring... :lol:

Tangled Metal wrote:I grew up learning on an imperial os map. It's what my dad used right up until about when I left home. It's the lakes so nothing much changes there. Easier if you're used to distance in miles. I walked only in the metric OS map era so it was anachronistic. However what's the point of changing if nothing's changed on the ground?

Interestingly OS has worked in metric internally since the 30s, the imperial maps produced were conversions of the metric data.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 12 Dec 2020, 6:13pm

Mile grid iirc and there were a few changes from modern maps.

andrewwillans49

Postby andrewwillans49 » 14 Dec 2020, 7:31pm

People do want paper maps. I've just bought an OS 1:50000 Centred on my house. It's bang up to date. I've dozens of maps , all UK and mostly in my area, say 100 mile radius. Most are out of date. I also have a Garmin 830 and it's a fabulous bit of kit with excellent mapping. I use both GPS and occasionally paper maps as they give a perspective lost on a 2" square screen

BobSweet

Postby BobSweet » 14 Dec 2020, 8:30pm

Maps you no longer need make great wrapping paper for presents!

I love my paper maps, battery never runs out. Always has a signal ....

TimeTraveller

Postby TimeTraveller » 15 Dec 2020, 1:31pm

I love maps and have normaly bought OS laminated maps in the past in either 1:25k or 1:50k, I have now tried another way by having a csutom map made by Aqua3 centered on my local rides are at 1:50k only snag Ive found with Aqua3 maps are that they only can print one side right now, the maps is great though.

ndmbike

Postby ndmbike » 2 Jan 2021, 4:58pm

Paulatic wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Cycling in North Northumberland and the Scottish Borders, I could probably use 100 year old maps and be OK.

For both walking and cycling I often print off from my OS online (of photocopy from a paper map) the area I'm in. Seems to work.

Stay away from Kielder or you might get wet feet on that road on the map.
With a group of mountain bikers back in the nineties we got to Cow Green. I purposefully pulled out my old map, pre reservoir, and asked them where are we at? :wink:

Heh heh...
I went through a phase of carrying an additional 'wrong' map with me up to popular peaks and then asking for help from some unsuspecting punter to help me out and show me where I was...
It was both amazing and entertaining to see how long it took for people on, say Snowdon to realise the map was of Ben Nevis...
No one punched me in the head - but there was often great hilarity. Passing round the hip flask salved any bruised egos!
Oh, those pre Covid days.

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 2 Jan 2021, 9:17pm

My standard stuff for either a walk or a ride, is my satellite tracker, a paper map, centered on the route and a Silva compass. The 'leccy tracker, stuffed full of clever features tho' it is, is next-to-useless for looking at an overview of the route, when I simply want to see the route in its entireity, the surrounding countryside and where appropriate, alternative routes and features that don't lie exactly or near to the planned itinery. It's not either / or - they're complimentary.
byyeee,
SiE

jimlews

Postby jimlews » 2 Jan 2021, 9:30pm

simonineaston wrote:My standard stuff for either a walk or a ride, is my satellite tracker, a paper map, centered on the route and a Silva compass. The 'leccy tracker, stuffed full of clever features tho' it is, is next-to-useless for looking at an overview of the route,...

I bet it will show you where the nearest Mc Donald's is, though. :wink: