Book Recommendations for Christmas Presents

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
jaybee66

Book Recommendations for Christmas Presents

Postby jaybee66 » 12 Dec 2020, 3:10pm

Leaving it till the last minute as usual but has anybody read the following books and do you think they would be suitable for a mildly enthusiastic cyclist - the ones I am looking at are Kings of the Road: A Journey into the Heart of British Cycling by Robert Dineen https://ebay.to/3nf5FBB and Velopedia: The infographic book of cycling by Robert Dineen https://ebay.to/37cadDh

Thanks in advance.

J

rmurphy195

Re: Book Recommendations for Christmas Presents

Postby rmurphy195 » 12 Dec 2020, 3:16pm

I haven't read any of those, but have recently read the road headed west by leon McCarron, and also the Brompton book David Henshaw's "Brompton Bicycle" both of which I enjoyted
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !

mumbojumbo

Postby mumbojumbo » 12 Dec 2020, 6:20pm

Christmas Carol by Thackeray.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 12 Dec 2020, 6:21pm

mumbojumbo wrote:Christmas Carol by Thackeray.

Dickens? Thackeray wrote a famous review of "A Christmas Carol"...

Jonathan

yostumpy

Postby yostumpy » 12 Dec 2020, 8:03pm

'Full Tilt' by Dervla Murphy, c. mid 50's, if you can find a copy. An excellent read, combining cycling, adventure, personal stuff. etc or
' Johnny Gingers last ride', by Tom Freemantle , an even better read.

JakobW

Postby JakobW » 13 Dec 2020, 8:34pm

jaybee66 wrote:Leaving it till the last minute as usual but has anybody read the following books and do you think they would be suitable for a mildly enthusiastic cyclist - the ones I am looking at are Kings of the Road: A Journey into the Heart of British Cycling by Robert Dineen https://ebay.to/3nf5FBB and Velopedia: The infographic book of cycling by Robert Dineen https://ebay.to/37cadDh

Thanks in advance.

J

I remember Kings of the Road being decent enough; it's a mix of potted bios/histories of more of less well-known British cyclists from the 40s to the 90s, before the sporting renaissance kicked off, and Dineen's own attempt to ride the Etape sportive. The latter's nothing special, but he's a decent enough writer and has some interesting interviews.

The Velopedia is IIRC again competent enough; nothing particularly new in there if you know your cycling history, but reasonably well presented.

For a 'mildly enthusiastic' cyclist, my personal recommendation would be something that's about more than just the cycling itself, so something like one of Tim Moore's travelogues; yes, they're a bit samey if read in close succession, but they're generally hilarious. Max Leonard's book Lanterne Rouge is nominally about the last cyclists in the TdF, but is also a beautifully-written philosophical exploration of competition and sport.

mumbojumbo

Postby mumbojumbo » 14 Dec 2020, 7:14am

Pneumant

Postby Pneumant » 14 Dec 2020, 4:17pm

'The Year' by Dave Barter, Vertebrate Publishing, 2015. ISBN 978-1-910240-43-4
A fascinating look at the endurance cyclists who were brave enough to challenge the year cycling mileage record including, of course, the great Tommy Godwin. Dave Barter is a very good writer and this is one of those books which, for me, is a keeper. Be prepared to be awed by the daily distances, times covered and bicycles used.

pedalsheep

Postby pedalsheep » 14 Dec 2020, 4:28pm

Pneumant wrote:'The Year' by Dave Barter, Vertebrate Publishing, 2015. ISBN 978-1-910240-43-4
A fascinating look at the endurance cyclists who were brave enough to challenge the year cycling mileage record including, of course, the great Tommy Godwin. Dave Barter is a very good writer and this is one of those books which, for me, is a keeper. Be prepared to be awed by the daily distances, times covered and bicycles used.

Seconded. That is an excellent and inspiring book.

The 'Lost Lanes' series by Jack Thurston make nice presents especially if the recipient lives near the areas covered. I already have South East, South West, and Wales and Santa is bringing me Northern England this year.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.

jaybee66

Postby jaybee66 » 24 Dec 2020, 9:33am

Thanks for all the suggestions - managed to pick some up for myself from amazon !

Merry Christmas

J