Memories of the Dawes Galaxy

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mackiemill

Re: Memories of the Dawes Galaxy

Post by Mackiemill »

My current main bike is in fact a 2006 Dawes Ultra Galaxy, which I upgraded last year to the Shim GRX 810 x2 groupset (and Avid Shorty Ultimate rim brakes, so 105 shifters; bigger tyres; etc). Makes for a very decent ‘gravel’ bike.

Which to be honest is what I’ve always done, ie multiple-day tours (originally youth hostels/camping with a Saunders Backpacker tent strapped to the rear rack) for cycling tours of Wales, Dales, Peak District, etc, mainly on minor roads and bridleways (all pre-Sustrans, but planning the route with your mates in advance was all a part of the fun. As was trying to turn over the map in the plastic front-mounted map holder while moving, as too lazy to stop and do it).In those days called cycle touring, nowadays called adventure riding, gravel, bikepacking or what have you.

‘In those days’ = late 70s and throughout the 80s. Had a Dawes Galaxy then too. I remember adding what were one referred to as ‘suicide bars’ brake levers, much frowned upon, but now appear to be accepted as ‘in-line levers’ or similar. (I’ve put those on my 2006 Dawes too...).

I’ve kept all my YHA membership cards back to 1975, my first year of membership (10 years old), and still go through them to look at the youth hostel stamps, as a reminder of the cycling holidays way back when. Fond memories!
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

I've not got a story interesting for a book, but just an experience of riding the same model of galaxy in very different frame sizes. I'm 5'7/8" and I did end to end on a 23.5" galaxy made in about '92. It was in theory much too big but fitted with a short stem and flat bars was very comfortable. A few years later I bought exactly the same year's galaxy in a more suitable 20.5" frame size. I never liked it as much because the smaller frame was noticeably stiffer and harsher to ride even though size wise it was much more suitable for me.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

gregoryoftours wrote:I've not got a story interesting for a book, but just an experience of riding the same model of galaxy in very different frame sizes. I'm 5'7/8" and I did end to end on a 23.5" galaxy made in about '92. It was in theory much too big but fitted with a short stem and flat bars was very comfortable. A few years later I bought exactly the same year's galaxy in a more suitable 20.5" frame size. I never liked it as much because the smaller frame was noticeably stiffer and harsher to ride even though size wise it was much more suitable for me.

It took me many years and riding many types of bike before the penny dropped on this one; OTP frames in most sizes don't use different gauge tubes and smaller ones (esp in PG tubing) are quite a bit stiffer than larger ones are. If you look at a lot of OTP frame geometries the effective top tube length hardly varies between frame sizes, certainly by a small enough amount that in most cases a different stem could make a frame fit any give rider, even if it was a size too large or a size too small.

This probably explains why for most of the 20th century, the recommended frame size was the largest you could ride without completely mashing your nether regions when you stopped. 'Standover clearance' was often negative. This was so common that you couldn't easily buy seat pins that were more than about 6" long; longer ones simply weren't needed because if you needed one you probably had the wrong size frame. A benefit of this 'large frame' approach was that the frame would be reasonably comfortable to ride even if it was made of relatively thick-walled tubing.

FWIW one of my most used bikes is about 1" larger frame size than I'd normally use and it is also built in PG tubing. To me it rides similarly to a 1" smaller frame which is built in much thinner-walled tubing.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Early Galaxy Advertisement, 5 speeds, did it get to 30 by the end ?
P1130180.JPG
Nu-Fogey
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Early galaxy models used Cyclo P2 derailleurs then;
http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/Cyclo_Benelux_Sport_P2_derailleur.html

The Cyclo P2 was the last ever british-made derailleur.

Interesting that (according to the ad in the post above) the early Galaxy came with a choice of a nylon, Brooks or Ideale saddle. Back then nylon saddle hulls were 'the new thing'.

cheers
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Brucey wrote:Early galaxy models used Cyclo P2 derailleurs then;

Is that what's on this early Galaxy I linked to back a page, it looks similar to my untutored eyes?
A 40 spoke wheel on the back (36 front) too, I noticed from the earlier photograph.
( My earliest derailleur was a Suntour VX GT on a Claud Butler Majestic, their Galaxy competitor I suppose, from the late '70's-early 80's 10 speed era bike, plain gauge 531, Super Champion wheels, rack etc ).
P1130197.JPG

What with all the stars 'n planets in the illustration in the advertisement, might this ad' be close to the age of that bike, bearing in mind it's star-spangled downtube panel ?

It looks like the final versions of the Ultra & Super Galaxy got to 27 speed (3x9)& Galaxy to 24 (3x8) to answer my own question from earlier.
https://cycloscope.net/dawes-super-gala ... kes-review
Nu-Fogey
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I am pretty sure that the derailleur in the photo above is a Huret 'Svelto'.

early Svelto above (photo from Disraeli gears); the final version had a plastic trim piece over part of the parallelgram

cheers
Last edited by Brucey on 9 Feb 2021, 10:15am, edited 1 time in total.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Thanks Brucey, that is indeed svelte...
Nu-Fogey
nez

Post by nez »

colin54 wrote:Early Galaxy Advertisement, 5 speeds, did it get to 30 by the end ?
P1130180.JPG
My 2008 version has 27
colin54

Post by colin54 »

nez wrote:
colin54 wrote:Early Galaxy Advertisement, 5 speeds, did it get to 30 by the end ?
P1130180.JPG
My 2008 version has 27

Thanks for the reply Nez. It looks like they stuck at 3x9 from then or before, until the end of production. See my link up-thread & this ad for 2020 Ultra-Galaxy.
https://www.cyclesolutions.co.uk/67037/ ... black.aspx
I found this short edit of a review of a 1969 Galaxy with spec's on U.S site Bike Forums, quite interesting.
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vint ... alaxy.html
Nu-Fogey
jaybee66

Post by jaybee66 »

Seem to be many available on Ebay from £200 to £2250 for a tandem - like the look of this one http://ebay.us/3pMUKX
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Here's a Chris Juden test of a 2007, welded Reynolds 853 framed Super Galaxy, published in the Feb/March edition 2008 of Cycle Magazine. I came across this during a Google search,but I don't know how to find these old tests on the Cycling UK site, does anyone know ?
https://www.cyclinguk.org/sites/default ... 803062.pdf
Nu-Fogey
nez

Post by nez »

That’s essentially the one I have. It has a new bb, new cassette and a set of ds wheels. Not bad for the use I’ve had. Compare it to a car!
horizon

Post by horizon »

Brucey wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 10:43pm
gregoryoftours wrote:I've not got a story interesting for a book, but just an experience of riding the same model of galaxy in very different frame sizes. I'm 5'7/8" and I did end to end on a 23.5" galaxy made in about '92. It was in theory much too big but fitted with a short stem and flat bars was very comfortable. A few years later I bought exactly the same year's galaxy in a more suitable 20.5" frame size. I never liked it as much because the smaller frame was noticeably stiffer and harsher to ride even though size wise it was much more suitable for me.
It took me many years and riding many types of bike before the penny dropped on this one; OTP frames in most sizes don't use different gauge tubes and smaller ones (esp in PG tubing) are quite a bit stiffer than larger ones are. If you look at a lot of OTP frame geometries the effective top tube length hardly varies between frame sizes, certainly by a small enough amount that in most cases a different stem could make a frame fit any give rider, even if it was a size too large or a size too small.
I swapped a smaller Dawes Super Galaxy for a larger Horizon (same frame) in order to get a shorter top tube. My most used bike, a Sardar, is two sizes too big but with a short stem is extremely comfortable. That's why I do wonder about people asking about correct frame size - it doesn't really matter.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Boy do I miss Brucey's posts.

GWS Brucey.

Cheers James