Memories of the Dawes Galaxy

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
nez

Re: Memories of the Dawes Galaxy

Post by nez »

Hear hear
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

horizon wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 12:51pm I swapped a smaller Dawes Super Galaxy for a larger Horizon (same frame) in order to get a shorter top tube.
Please explain! If the Super Galaxy and the Horizon use the same frame, then how can a larger frame have a shorter top tube? :?:
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 6:56pm
horizon wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 12:51pm I swapped a smaller Dawes Super Galaxy for a larger Horizon (same frame) in order to get a shorter top tube.
Please explain! If the Super Galaxy and the Horizon use the same frame, then how can a larger frame have a shorter top tube? :?:
Not the same frame. My wife’s Horizon is 520 tubing and more sloping geometry than my Super Galaxy which uses 853 tubing and only slightly sloping top tube. They are both circa 2008/9.
Attachments
B581B4EC-5706-4FB8-B33B-A2A6E159D519.jpeg
8D12B2D6-01A7-4AB4-A3DE-EB7AD80E9141.jpeg
Last edited by TrevA on 22 Apr 2021, 7:53pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Whatabout stepover height?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

TrevA wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 7:49pm
Not the same frame. My wife’s Horizon is 520 tubing and more sloping geometry than my Super Galaxy which uses 853 tubing and only slightly sloping top tube. They are both circa 2008/9.
Thanks, that explains the larger frame with a shorter top tube. So I presume "(same frame)" refers to a third bike, another (smaller) Horizon, which has been referenced at some previous point? (Not that it matters, I'm just puzzled!)
horizon

Post by horizon »

TrevA wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 7:49pm
Mine is the year 2000 531 Horizon which, chemical analysis notwithstanding, is identical to the Galaxy and Super Galaxy for that year (they appear together in the brochure spec.). My daughter has the later version (still a good bike IMV).
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
horizon

Post by horizon »

You've inspired me to go through the figures again out of interest (it is 20 years ago!) just to check and AFAICS it still remains the case but based on ETT (though the actual difference is still only 0.6 cm) . I must have had other reasons for getting the new bike and it may have just been a general impression that the larger size would fit me better. I think I came across the actual figures later on. Obviously the difference is negligible and I have since resolved the fit issue so selling the Super Galaxy was probably a mistake. I would still say though that (generally) top tubes don't reduce in size in proportion to frame size, but the seat angle gets steeper - it does catch people out..

Size 57: top tube 56.7 Seat Angle: 74 deg Effective top tube from standard 73 deg: 57.7
Size 59: top tube 57.3 Seat Angle: 73.30 deg Effective top tube from standard 73 deg: 57.6
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

I owned a brand new Galaxy in 1995. It was green (of course) it was beautiful-I loved it and used it. The real reason I no longer own it is because I have a poor spine. The Galaxy top tube was always a little too long for me (and possibly other people). If Dawes had made either a shorter version or a shorter top tube, I would still have it (probably). But I went over the Thorn. No argument, just great bikes. Still have Thorn bikes now.
Sorry Dawes but over the years you did not keep up. The period with Unicrown forks made me shudder.
Best to all Galaxy owners!
horizon

Post by horizon »

leftpoole wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 10:11am I owned a brand new Galaxy in 1995. It was green (of course) it was beautiful-I loved it and used it. The real reason I no longer own it is because I have a poor spine. The Galaxy top tube was always a little too long for me (and possibly other people). If Dawes had made either a shorter version or a shorter top tube, I would still have it (probably). But I went over the Thorn. No argument, just great bikes. Still have Thorn bikes now.
Sorry Dawes but over the years you did not keep up. The period with Unicrown forks made me shudder.
I'm not sure when Thorn introduced their own bikes but I would have had the shorter Club Tour version like a shot had I known (a) about Thorns and (b) my sizing requirements. And that's even before we get to comparing steerer tube length on the Dawes and Thorn! :evil:
nikkip

Post by nikkip »

leftpoole wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 10:11am The Galaxy top tube was always a little too long for me (and possibly other people).
Ha! I bought mine (a 43cm frame) off of someone on this forum (well, the CTC one) because she'd not got on with the reach. It turned out it was just a tiny bit too long for me too, but I struggled more with the brakes being designed for bigger hands and never quite being able to get the leverage/stoppage on the canti brakes. I eventually swapped over to butterfly bars, which worked as a fudge for reducing the reach, but also breathed new life into the brakes with the flat bar style levers.
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

leftpoole wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 10:11am I owned a brand new Galaxy in 1995. It was green (of course) it was beautiful-I loved it and used it. The real reason I no longer own it is because I have a poor spine. The Galaxy top tube was always a little too long for me (and possibly other people). If Dawes had made either a shorter version or a shorter top tube, I would still have it (probably). But I went over the Thorn. No argument, just great bikes. Still have Thorn bikes now.
I understand that certain Thorn models were indeed "rebranded" Dawes Galaxies. Some early 'Club Tour' for instance
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

I alwsys wanted one, then they changed to a compact frame and I didn't want one any more. Deliqium had a really nice BRG one with centre-pulls that he was refurbishing.
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

Interesting (to me) Dawes Galaxy coincidences.

Several years ago I bought a Circa 1981 - 1983 Galaxy via the good offices of this site; from somewhere near Hope in Derbyshire. Bought it home, fettled it up and corrected some 'mistakes' (it had 27" front wheel and 700c rear with a broken axle) and rode it around for a few days.
But I felt the lack of a saddlebag and found one for sale from a chap in London. When the S/B arrived, I lifted the flap and discovered the address of a previous owner - in Hope, Derbyshire.

That Galaxy has rather strange frame geometry. It has a relatively steep head angle and quite a slack seat tube angle This results in it having a long top tube. It took some adjustment (of me) to get used to it. 'Collateral' benefit is that I can use my old set of Karrimore top tube bags without them interfering with my knees. Similar to these:

https://www.carradice.co.uk/ranges/orig ... e-panniers

I now have three Dawes Galaxy framesets sourced from various parts of the UK; all were originally supplied by Chamberlains of Kentish town.

http://camdennewjournal.com/article/end ... tish%2520t
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

jimlews wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 8:55am
I understand that certain Thorn models were indeed "rebranded" Dawes Galaxies. Some early 'Club Tour' for instance
I had one of those and it had a shorter top tube. I have been 'with' Thorn ever since-except my Moulton. My Brompton-my Van Nicholas.....