Insurance against theft - overnight/more than 12 hours

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Oldjohnw

Re: Insurance against theft - overnight/more than 12 hours

Postby Oldjohnw » 20 Dec 2020, 1:12am

My policy with Admiral specifically says that my bike is covered if securely locked to an immoveable object inside the home, in a shed or garage or outside on land on which my home is built.
John

Billy007

Postby Billy007 » 20 Dec 2020, 4:40am

Oldjohnw wrote:My policy with Admiral specifically says that my bike is covered if securely locked to an immoveable object inside the home, in a shed or garage or outside on land on which my home is built.

So how does this help the OP? She states she lives in a flat with no space for a bike either inside or outside to keep her bike.

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 20 Dec 2020, 6:29am

Billy007 wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:My policy with Admiral specifically says that my bike is covered if securely locked to an immoveable object inside the home, in a shed or garage or outside on land on which my home is built.

So how does this help the OP? She states she lives in a flat with no space for a bike either inside or outside to keep her bike.

I was merely saying, as have others, what my own policy says, although the OP does say she has no choice but to leave the bike locked outside. And she did, after all, ask if anyone knew an insurance policy which covered a bike left outside.

My bike is covered whilst away from home, else I could hardly use it.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 20 Dec 2020, 8:33am, edited 3 times in total.
John

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 20 Dec 2020, 7:04am

How high are the ceilings? Is there really not space to hang it up inside? Or put it on top of a cabinet or shelves at shoulder height?
My ceilings are about 240 cm, that makes a lot of unused air space
I have XX m2 floor space, and YY m3 air space

I used to remove my front wheel, then I realised I did not need to, I could just tilt the machine
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

De Sisti

Postby De Sisti » 21 Dec 2020, 7:11am

helenh wrote:I live in a flat and have nowhere I can leave my bike inside,

Surely you can make some sort of sacrifice/compromise and leave it in your bedroom (leaning against
a wall)? Sometimes when you're in an unsuitable situation a sacrifice/compromise must be made.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 21 Dec 2020, 7:34am

One thing to be sure of with insurance policies is exactly what they mean. The toothless watchdoggies have tried to get retail insurers to be much more explicit about that they mean.

"securely locked to an immovable object" That's a big improvement on the general implied condition of insurance policies that the insured will take proper steps to minimise the risk, but it's not as clear as "locked using three locks approved to Sold Secure Double platinum plus standard ...."

Put another way, just because they don't spell something out thread-to-needle, it doesn't mean they will cough up.

Unfortunately, with the modern call-centre / online way of selling insurance, it's not easy to get clarification of any term that's important to you.

(edit to say explicit when I wrote implicit.)
Last edited by thirdcrank on 21 Dec 2020, 10:12am, edited 1 time in total.

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 21 Dec 2020, 7:36am

thirdcrank wrote:One thing to be sure of with insurance policies is exactly what they mean. The toothless watchdoggies have tried to get retail insurers to be much more implicit about that they mean.

"securely locked to an immovable object" That's a big improvement on the general implied condition of insurance policies that the insured will take proper steps to minimise the risk, but it's not as clear as "locked using three locks approved to Sold Secure Double platinum plus standard ...."

Put another way, just because they don't spell something out thread-to-needle, it doesn't mean they will cough up.

Unfortunately, with the modern call-centre / online way of selling insurance, it's not easy to get clarification of any term that's important to you.

Mine also says for bikes in particular using a Sold secure gold lock.
John

NUKe

Postby NUKe » 21 Dec 2020, 9:14am

helenh wrote:It's a (conspicuously) brand new flat-bar hybrid, £700 (not a lot for some people, I know, but it's been a tough year...)

Probably not what you want to hear, but a tale from long ago about the old Clubman who bought expensive bikes then handbrushed painted them badly. mechanically the bike were the same afterward but didn't look like they were worth nicking.
other than that I only have good luck to offer.
NUKe

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 21 Dec 2020, 9:30am

A few things...

It may help the bike both survive outside, and be less conspicuous if you can cover it, either with a bike cover, a motorcycle cover, or even just a tarp, strapped down.

Secondly, if you are parking it in the same place on a regular basis, it may be worth investing in something like a motorcycle lock. Not something you want to carry with, but fine if it's left in place. You may want to have an alternative/spare available, in case it is damaged or sabotaged.

Lastly, there are various bike hangers and things that you buy that would minimise the space a bike takes up indoors. It may be worth looking at those, even if you think you don't have space. For example given an easy way to do it, could you use the ceiling in an entry area or bedroom?

I lived for a little while in a studio with a mini-kitchen whilst looking for family housing, and I used one of those over door hooks to hang my bike on the side of the wardrobe. I was unwilling to leave my bike (and only form of transport) outside, even in a gated parking area.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 21 Dec 2020, 4:38pm

helenh wrote:I live in a flat and have nowhere I can leave my bike inside, nor do we have any of the fancy in-house bike parking facilities that these sorts of policies seem to be tailored towards.

This isn't likely to produce a quick fix... but are there any other cyclists in the building and do you have anything like a residents' association?

Jonathan

mumbojumbo

Postby mumbojumbo » 21 Dec 2020, 4:54pm

If you leave the bike outside
1.likely to be stolen
2.even more likely to be damaged
3.could escape either 1 or 2 but very unlikely.
Sell your bike and buy a cheap substitute and dont waste a penny on insurance.

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 21 Dec 2020, 4:56pm

Or, do I sell your bike! You'll get peanuts for it.
John

horizon

Postby horizon » 21 Dec 2020, 5:36pm

helenh wrote:
It's a (conspicuously) brand new flat-bar hybrid, £700 (not a lot for some people, I know, but it's been a tough year...)

£700 is indeed a lot of cash but by now the bike is probably worth half that. Give it a few months outside and on the road and its value starts to drop sharply. I agree with Vorpal that a motorcycle lock and a cover is a good idea but even better, just use it as much as you can. Insurance, IMV, isn't the way forward on this but if you do find a suitable policy, then that's fine too.

(BTW the reason you are getting lots of replies on this is that it is an issue that affects lots of us - we want a solution as much as you do!)
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 21 Dec 2020, 5:40pm

Using several locks is a simple solution, tealeaves prefer to snap one and go
Just make sure you have all the keys, and spares at home
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 21 Dec 2020, 5:54pm

I have a friend who is vigorously agin unnecssary expenditure and she seldom lets an opportunity go by without remindign me how much she has not spent on bike & house contents insurance. When I look at the sums, I can see her point. There's also a tendancy, us humans being what we are, to relax, thinking "aha, I need not worry now, as the item is covered by insurance". This has a number of downsides as my chum is fond of pointing out. 1) cover doesn't mean the item will not be damaged / stolen - far better to choose not to insure & to perceive a worrying sense of threat and deal directly with it (ie keep item somewhere safe). 2) insurance companies being what they are, if a claim is made, the expected value of the item is seldom paid out 3) in worst cases, the company will find a reason not to pay out anything 4) having claimed (and regardless whether paying what the insured expects) the premiums will inevitably increase, sometimes to the point of being unaffordable.
I understand that there are circ.s that make safe storage of item difficult, but my advice is to persue that choice with vigour, inginuity and determination. Or use a shitty-looking beater and leave it covered & store the saddle / front wheel indoors...
byyeee,
SiE