Tier 4 exercise limits

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Syd

Re: Tier 4 exercise limits

Post by Syd »

Can you please define NPI in this context. I’m not familiar with it.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Sorry, "non-pharmaceutical interventions" as in the post a few back.

Jonathan
Syd

Post by Syd »

Thanks.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

@Jdsk out of interest do you wear a mask while cycling? I've tried it and found it pretty uncomfortable, to the extent that if I had to wear one I would almost certainly cycle/exercise less, with a probable knock on effect on my fitness and mental health. Maybe others find them OK?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Not when I'm out in the countryside on my own or with my wife and there's no-one else around, but it's always in my pocket. Yes in town or visiting anywhere where there are other people.

Jonathan
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

gloomyandy wrote:@Jdsk out of interest do you wear a mask while cycling? I've tried it and found it pretty uncomfortable, to the extent that if I had to wear one I would almost certainly cycle/exercise less, with a probable knock on effect on my fitness and mental health. Maybe others find them OK?

At this time of year, I always wear a Buff/Neck gaiter on the bike. This doubles up as a mask, when necessary. I don’t pull it up over my mouth and nose most of the time, but can do easily if it’s cold or if I encounter anyone whilst out. I also wear the same thing off the bike when visiting shops, etc as it meets the requirements for a face covering.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
millimole

Post by millimole »

TrevA wrote:
At this time of year, I always wear a Buff/Neck gaiter on the bike. This doubles up as a mask, when necessary. I don’t pull it up over my mouth and nose most of the time, but can do easily if it’s cold or if I encounter anyone whilst out. I also wear the same thing off the bike when visiting shops, etc as it meets the requirements for a face covering.

A Buff is my preferred face covering - I find 'normal' masks uncomfortable but I can get on with a Buff.
Alternatives to a Buff /for me/ in order of preference are a shemagh, then a mask design that avoids ear loops.
I think it's the ear loops that are my issue - what with glasses and a hearing aid there's not a lot of space left!
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

TrevA wrote:
gloomyandy wrote:@Jdsk out of interest do you wear a mask while cycling? I've tried it and found it pretty uncomfortable, to the extent that if I had to wear one I would almost certainly cycle/exercise less, with a probable knock on effect on my fitness and mental health. Maybe others find them OK?

This is exactly what I do.
It means it's always available.
I have several - cost me not much over a £1 each - easy to wash and dry.
Sweep
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

millimole wrote:
TrevA wrote:

A Buff is my preferred face covering - I find 'normal' masks uncomfortable but I can get on with a Buff.
Alternatives to a Buff /for me/ in order of preference are a shemagh, then a mask design that avoids ear loops.
I think it's the ear loops that are my issue - what with glasses and a hearing aid there's not a lot of space left!

I rarely wear a mask, not because I don't agree with it but because I rarely visit a shop. I can't cope with the ones around the ear so I have one, made by a friend, which ties around the back of my head. I still hate it but it is the least worst option for me.
John
mjr

Post by mjr »

I have few problems wearing masks but cycling in one in cold weather is very easy to fog up glasses. I can avoid it long enough for shops but the slightest movement of mask or glasses leads to fogging and that happens when ever I hit a bump in the tarmac.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote:
Sweep wrote:Does he have any medical evidence for that proposal?

There aren't any good randomised controlled trials and there probably never will be: it's just too difficult.

So the best evidence comes from observational studies, from extrapolation from other viruses and other settings, especially healthcare, and from laboratory studies.

It's then necessary to separate protection of the wearer from protection of others.

And to define "outdoors". Transmission is much more likely with prolonged close close contact in settings with poor ventilation, so "indoors" is much riskier than "outdoors", But "outdoors" includes cycling on your own in the countryside, being packed in a crowd at a racecourse or at a soccer match, and queueing for public transport. The variation in risk across those is enormous.

With those provisos I recommend the current CDC Scientific Brief and advice for the public:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/more/masking-science-sars-cov2.html
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover-guidance.html
and this:
https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-07-08-oxford-covid-19-study-face-masks-and-coverings-work-act-now/
https://royalsociety.org/-/media/policy/projects/set-c/set-c-facemasks.pdf?la=en-GB&hash=A22A87CB28F7D6AD9BD93BBCBFC2BB24

and on how policy should follow:
https://www.bmj.com/content/369/bmj.m1435
and subsequent correspondence, leading to:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jep.13415

You're welcome.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Just on the subject of masks fogging-up specs. When I went for my annual eye test in November, the optician spent some time and trouble taping the top of the mask across my face so there was no gap anywhere at the top of the mask where my breath could escape to affect my specs. That was totally effective, bearing in mind it was an eye test. My wife does our supermarket shopping and she has copied the taping approach and is very happy with the result.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

TrevA wrote:

Yes I do exactly this normally. But when all of the things about mask wearing first started. I decided to try wearing one for "normal" cycling (not just in shops/busy places) and it didn't really work for me. I tried bot the buff and a couple of "proper" masks, the buff was probably best, but I still found wearing it all of the time a problem. As others have said glasses mist up etc. and I find the sensation pretty unpleasant when breathing hard. I suppose if it becomes a requirement to wear one all of the time then I'd have to, but I suspect it would reduce the amount of exercise I'd be prepared to take.

I see that this morning Prof Whitty has said...
"Asked about wearing masks when we leave the house, Prof Whitty says that he would encourage people to wear a mask "and wear it properly over the nose and mouth" when indoors but says that the risk outdoors is only in a crowded space.

"In an open street environment it probably makes little difference," he says."
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

gloomyandy wrote:
TrevA wrote:

Yes I do exactly this normally. But when all of the things about mask wearing first started. I decided to try wearing one for "normal" cycling (not just in shops/busy places) and it didn't really work for me. I tried bot the buff and a couple of "proper" masks, the buff was probably best, but I still found wearing it all of the time a problem. As others have said glasses mist up etc. and I find the sensation pretty unpleasant when breathing hard. I suppose if it becomes a requirement to wear one all of the time then I'd have to, but I suspect it would reduce the amount of exercise I'd be prepared to take.

I see that this morning Prof Whitty has said...
"Asked about wearing masks when we leave the house, Prof Whitty says that he would encourage people to wear a mask "and wear it properly over the nose and mouth" when indoors but says that the risk outdoors is only in a crowded space.

"In an open street environment it probably makes little difference," he says."

that's good enough for me.
Sweep
mjr

Post by mjr »

Being 7 miles away from home is fine: https://www.daventry.radio/people-can-c ... t-hancock/

A new lower bound for the guidelines!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.