Tier 4 exercise limits

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jamesh

Re: Tier 4 exercise limits

Post by Jamesh »

doffcocker wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:IIRC, early in the first lockdown, it was reported that the police would not be investigating reports after the event. Indeed, when there were queries about whether eyesight tests were ok, there was no police action on that basis.

That's what I was thinking too pretty much, I just want to avoid creating a negative impression from a social point of view.

Personally if I saw somebody had rode 10 miles one way, taken a few photos then gone straight back, I would thing great for them but that doesn't feel like the general mood of a lot of people right now.

I don't think 10 miles is exceptional.

I ride away from the local city in the direction of the district general hospital as the scenery is nicer, covid is less and I'd rather be in thier if anything happened to me!

Cheers James
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

It would be interesting to find out via FOI how many FPN have been issued for cycling related offences.....?

Cheers James
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

From the first link - footnotes:

Payment of FPNs: At this stage we are unable to provide individual force totals or payment proportions for Regulations which still have payment periods outstanding. We have committed to publishing this at a later date. If an FPN is contested or not complied with within the 28 day payment period, the case becomes a matter for HM Courts and Tribunals Service following a force level review.
(All my emphasis.)

For anybody getting a ticket, that force-level review is IMO the best hope of stopping the process, unless, of course, they want a day at court with the hope of a triumphant media conference on the steps outside. Unless I'm wide of the mark, if a ticket is contested then it becomes a matter for the CPS who must decide whether to prosecute the case.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

An FPN is akin to a formalised bribe to the treasury coffers for the police to drop the matter. If you refuse the 'offer' of a fine then yes the case will be passed to the CPS who may then decide to prosecute.

If that case happens to be cycling in England, on your own, with your household or with one other and it's just that the police officer decided you were 'too far' from home then the CPS will almost certainly decide to file it in the bin and tell the police force in question to stop wasting their time.

The law really is quite clear in this matter.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Jamesh wrote:

It would be interesting to find out via FOI how many FPN have been issued for cycling related offences.....?

Given that FPNs are basically issued for being somewhere you shouldn't be, without a reasonable excuse, I wouldn't assume that the means by which you got there is necessarily being recorded.

There are, of course, no specific "cycling related offences" listed in the Covid Regulations.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Further to earlier discussions about running and cycling near other people,

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... Wl7QfBKQRc

Two experts on GMB advised joggers and cyclists should wear masks in busy areas. Everyone should in busy areas, seems to be common sense.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I'm avoiding the busy back lane, from Ikley to Bolton abbey, instead taking the hilly climb over langbar, avoids the large number of cyclists and walkers on the valley lane.

Makes sense to use less used roads to spread out.

Cheers James
grufty

Post by grufty »

Re the advice on GMB for runners and cyclists to wear masks in busy areas, should smokers and vapers do likewise? ;)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

An example here of an expert going beyond their own expertise

Covid-19: Lockdown 'a success' but UK 'not out of the woods'

... Prof Diamond (head of the Office for National Statistics) said: "I think this lockdown has been a success but at the same time, while we have seen major reductions, we are still relatively high.

"I'm in very much the view that we should do everything we can not to blow it nationally.

"We have done fantastically well in the last couple of months but we are not completely out of the woods yet."

He added that it was "very difficult" to work out the difference between the impact of the lockdown and the vaccination scheme, but it was clear both were working in reducing the number of cases. ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56306105

IMO his job is to provide the best possible statistical data on which others can take policy decisions.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

grufty wrote:Re the advice on GMB for runners and cyclists to wear masks in busy areas, should smokers and vapers do likewise? ;)

Believe I've commented previously on the bizarre sight of smokers carefully puffing their fags around the edges of their covid masks. And as I live very much in a two tier town, 2/3rd's are chain smokers, whilst the rest of us aren't. Suppose it's a bit ironic, rather like local smokers all being dressed in tracksuits and trainers. Can't say I've ever seen the tracksuit clad locals down the gym :lol: (Nb. Or on a bike)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Re enforcement by fixed penalties. Some hefty penalties have been bandied about in connection with various pandemic-related offences.

I was wondering if some these powers were conferred only on certain people. If I've got this right, a PCSO has the power to issue a £10,000 ticket.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/202 ... ulation/12

This is one of those cases where I hope somebody will correct me.
doffcocker

Post by doffcocker »

Hello all,

I was just wondering if anyone knows of any further developments on this?

Was the exercise topic covered or updated at all in the latest restriction easing, such that it might enable cycling further afield?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

doffcocker wrote:I was just wondering if anyone knows of any further developments on this?

Was the exercise topic covered or updated at all in the latest restriction easing, such that it might enable cycling further afield?

Where do you live?

Jonathan
doffcocker

Post by doffcocker »

I am in the Bolton area, Greater Manchester / Lancashire.