Tier 4 exercise limits

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Tompsk

Tier 4 exercise limits

Post by Tompsk »

Just had a look at:

gov.uk/guidance/tier-4-stay-at-home

It says you can exercise outside but must stay local. Wondering what would constitute as 'local' to make my exercise legitimate?

I'm not trying to push the bondaries to breaking point but wonder if being more than X miles from home will be considered outside the rules. There are plenty of varied road and tracks within 3 miles of me (ymmv) so perhaps that is one definition? On the other hand perhaps 'out for an hour' (wherever that takes you) could be another definition for 'local'?
simonineaston

Re: Tier 4 exercise limits

Post by simonineaston »

It says you can exercise outside but must stay "local".
(my quotes) I imagine the gist is that they don't want you to stray outside of your tier zone...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Wasn't this discussed ad nauseam when we had the first lockdown.

No conclusions reached and everyone doing their own thing, oops I mean working within their interpretation of the rules.
Tompsk

Post by Tompsk »

simonhill wrote:Wasn't this discussed ad nauseam when we had the first lockdown.

No conclusions reached and everyone doing their own thing, oops I mean working within their interpretation of the rules.

Thanks for the reply, sounds like 'local' is a politician's word to mean whatever they want it too.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

In the first lockdown the law itself didn't specify 'local' thus that was guidance only.

While I'm sure the gov legal team are frantically trying to write some faintly sensible statute to cover this governments latest indecisive and last minute law making which is due to come into affect tomorrow morning, they are yet to be published even in the annoying hard to read amendment form, it'll be a day or two before they get properly spliced into the legislation website so at the moment no one knows for sure.

Pragmatically, the key thing is not to come into contact with others, so your normal exercise/cycling routes, if it does that, should be fine.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
peetee

Post by peetee »

I would interpret local as ensuring that should you need medical treatment you would be taken to the same hospital that you would if you were at home. That way those that are infectious, treating infection or susceptible to infection are not coming into contact with people they wouldn’t normally or normally expect to.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

In France we were allowed to take exercise for max 1 hour and a radius of 1 km from home.
We then moved to a max of 3 hrs and a radius of 20 km.
We've now been allowed to go out for as long and as far as we wish.

I can't think this situation will last and we'll be back in strict lock down by the new year. :(
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

what about tests for eyesight ?
Boring_Username

Post by Boring_Username »

One big difference from the Spring lockdown is that we now know the risk of infection from two strangers in brief proximity is very low indoors (e.g. passing in a shop), and essentially zero outdoors (e.g. passing along a road).
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Boring_Username wrote:One big difference from the Spring lockdown is that we now know the risk of infection from two strangers in brief proximity is very low indoors (e.g. passing in a shop), and essentially zero outdoors (e.g. passing along a road).

Except with the new variant perhaps we don't know this. :(
John
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

While I've been searching - so far unsuccessfully - for the new regs, I've found this about the difference between legislation and guidance. It only confirms what's been said on here before, but it is from the government:-

What is the difference between legislation and guidance?

To find out exactly what the rules are during the coronavirus pandemic, you need to look at both legislation and government guidance. Legislation sets out legal obligations and restrictions that are enforceable by law. If you do not abide by the legislation you are breaking the law. Guidance and advice is likely to be based on legislation (in which case it will be legally binding) and it might offer the best or most appropriate way to adhere to the law.

The law is what you must do; the guidance might be a mixture of what you must do and what you should do.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/coronavirus

Scrolling down that page - which has not been updated since 1.12.2020 gives some links to legislation and some tips for searching for more.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Tompsk wrote:... outside the rules....

"Rules" means "the law" and as I understand it, the law for Tier 4 has not been written yet (or not published). So you have to obey a law that has not yet been written/published.

Ian
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Obviously best to obey the guidance (LSO law-shaped-object), not just the law, just to be sure :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Obviously best to obey the guidance (LSO law-shaped-object), not just the law, just to be sure :?

I agree but when I see things like
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/dec/20/police-to-stop-people-fleeing-new-covid-tier-4-areas-hancock-says wrote:Police to stop people fleeing new Covid tier 4 areas, Hancock says
Police will be asked to stop families from driving out of tier 4 areas, the health secretary has said, while extra officers will be deployed at railway stations.

I wonder on what basis given (apparently) there is no law written yet. It all just sums-up how ill prepared Johnson is and such desperate last minute ill-prepared changes are bound to cause loads of law/guidance breaking and people just doing what they planned anyway. Same restrictions a week ago (when it was obvious Johnson's direction was madness) would have means more acceptance.

I raised it only as OP used "the rules".

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Pebble wrote:what about tests for eyesight ?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall