Tier 4 exercise limits

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Pebble

Re: Tier 4 exercise limits

Postby Pebble » 12 Jan 2021, 2:19pm

Boris's only redeeming attribute for me is his enthusiasm for riding is bike.

Bit concerned with the 7 miles! is long covid the reason for such a short ride?

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 12 Jan 2021, 2:22pm

Pebble wrote:Boris's only redeeming attribute for me is his enthusiasm for riding is bike.

Bit concerned with the 7 miles! is long covid the reason for such a short ride?

I thought he drove the 7 miles.

Ian

nirakaro

Postby nirakaro » 12 Jan 2021, 5:33pm

thirdcrank wrote:Just on the subject of masks fogging-up specs. When I went for my annual eye test in November, the optician spent some time and trouble taping the top of the mask across my face so there was no gap anywhere at the top of the mask where my breath could escape to affect my specs. That was totally effective, bearing in mind it was an eye test. My wife does our supermarket shopping and she has copied the taping approach and is very happy with the result.

Stuffing a tissue in the top of the mask works too.

simonhill

Postby simonhill » 12 Jan 2021, 6:44pm

I am certainly not a fan of Boris (politically or personally) but he is the Prime Minister of this country and as such there are security concerns. Riding round the streets of Whitehall with a phalanx of security guards is not a good idea. Using the facilities of Olympic Park makes sense. Personally, I would have liked to have seen his Office clearly and cleanly state this, going on to say that exercise is IMPORTANT. Properly handled this could have been used to impart an important message - instead, as ever, it has become a farce.

We should be thankful, if it had been Trump, it would have been a helicopter trip.

RickH

Postby RickH » 12 Jan 2021, 7:24pm

According to the BBC live web feed on today's briefing by Priti Patel.

BBC wrote:In the meantime she hopes to clear up confusion and firm up compliance but is insisting the current rules are clear. In a very stern voice. (my bold)

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 12 Jan 2021, 7:59pm

It was all ok for Johnson as he did a u turn.
John

prestavalve

Postby prestavalve » 12 Jan 2021, 9:47pm

Pebble wrote:Boris's only redeeming attribute for me is his enthusiasm for riding is bike.

FYI, the last time I saw him in person (a long time ago, when he failed to get elected as rector at Edinburgh Uni), he was signing girls' breasts in a nightclub. So if you like breasts, then that could be something to add to your list.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 12 Jan 2021, 11:03pm

simonhill wrote:...We should be thankful, if it had been Trump, it would have been a helicopter trip.

what, not Air Force One.... :shock: :shock: .... :lol:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

a.twiddler

Postby a.twiddler » 13 Jan 2021, 10:42am

I just have this mental picture of Prime Minister Johnson out on even the most casual of bike rides being surrounded by his security detail of enormous, serious, suited men on a fleet of tiny Bromptons. I don't imagine he is much of a one for solitude but still, it must take away a lot of the spontaneous pleasure of it all.

Then there is the media attention. I don't suppose they use bikes though it adds to the whimsical mental picture. Can't a bloke just go for an incognito bike ride during lockdown? Not if you're the Prime Minister. It probably turns into Boris Johnson's Cycling Circus (all appropriately socially distanced of course). Then gets used as a tool to bash Johnson and/or cyclists depending on the perspective of the media outlet.

mjr

Postby mjr » 13 Jan 2021, 11:07am

a.twiddler wrote: I don't suppose they use bikes though it adds to the whimsical mental picture. Can't a bloke just go for an incognito bike ride during lockdown? Not if you're the Prime Minister.

The security officers of an heir to the throne have been seen cycling with him, on King's Avenue, funnily enough. Well, sometimes cycling well behind him, as the officers carry more kit as well as being typically rather larger themselves - hopefully it's muscle!

Another Duke further down the succession has been spotted motorbiking alone.

Is the PM more or less expendable than a possible future monarch?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

arnsider

Postby arnsider » 13 Jan 2021, 11:30am

If we are to exercise "Locally" then in densely populated places, the footpaths and lanes are going to fill up quite quickly, adding to the infection risk.
We cannot win!

prestavalve

Postby prestavalve » 13 Jan 2021, 2:04pm

mjr wrote:Is the PM more or less expendable than a possible future monarch?

The only problem caused by an untimely Prime ministerial demise would its tendency to increase the relative importance of Priti Patel.

simonineaston

Re: Tier 4 (now national lockdown) exercise limits

Postby simonineaston » 13 Jan 2021, 3:16pm

Those confident that we are as on the ball as Ms Dick thinks we are can try this quiz here, on the BBC's website. Being the daft, illiterate, blinkered so-and-so I am, I sailed past Q1 with aplomb and fell painfully at the unassailable fence of Q2 :shock:
byyeee,
SiE

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 13 Jan 2021, 3:25pm

I got four out of the seven correct, but a couple of the ones I got wrong were iffy IMHO.
The last one about weddings and funerals I got wrong too.
Chatting to a lady we know the other day who has recently got married, and she had fourteen guests. The rules must have changed since she married only a couple of weeks ago.
Mick F. Cornwall

prestavalve

Postby prestavalve » 13 Jan 2021, 3:45pm

When I need to be on site, I normally cycle to work. Today, it started sleeting just before lunch and is still going, so I don't fancy riding back and am taking the train. Just saw a dude get on at Haymarket with a big set of golf clubs. Not the first time I have seen him do it either. Wondering what his excuse could be, or maybe he doesn't need one. Riddle me that.