Rain Jacket with Pit Zips ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
bikerwaser

Rain Jacket with Pit Zips ?

Post by bikerwaser »

Hi All

I know there is a thread on rain jackets here but I need a rain jacket that has Pit Zips / Underarm vents.
It also needs to have a foldaway hood.

Any advice ?

Thanks !

Bikerwaser
De Sisti

Re: Rain Jacket with Pit Zips ?

Post by De Sisti »

bikerwaser wrote:Hi All

I know there is a thread on rain jackets here but I need a rain jacket that has Pit Zips / Underarm vents.
It also needs to have a foldaway hood.
Any advice ?
Thanks !
Bikerwaser

Perhaps this may help.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Showers pass meet the requirements, are excellent but pricey.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m6b0s66p294 ... sit-Jacket

The hood is a separate item that attaches with velcro. You'd have to both buy it and keep it in one of the pockets.

Under arm vents are quite good at letting the rain in if you don't close them, and if you do, they don't ventilate any more..
I've got a Gill eVent jacket (NLA) with similar vents.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I have a RAB Downpour it has pit zips. Packs away into its pocket and also has a helmet friendly hood if you use a helmet. They are £100 but do seem well constructed.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
PH

Post by PH »

I'll make it a third plug for Showers Pass, there are other makes available, but these are the best I've used. I give some detail in the other thread, I'd add that they are cut different depending on intended usage and there's quite a difference between the 2.5 and 3 layer materials. Not all have pit zips, some have long zips placed further forward, I was a little sceptical but so far this seems to be as effective as the pit zips and easier to use.
I don't think any of them have fold away hoods, some are an additional velcro option and others zip off and store on a purpose designed inner pocket.
If you were to buy one that required a velcro hood, I can sell you a hood for half price, tried on once but never worn outside.
Some idea of usage and maybe budget might get you some more responses. There's also the second hand option, so you might mention what size you're looking for.
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

Another vote for Showers Pass, they are designed for weather in Portland area, US, and that's very wet. Mine is Elite 2.1. Buy 2 sizes, send one back free. Usually have a 10% discount too for first order, UK outlet based in Scotland iirc,
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

I had a good innings with a second hand showers pass refuge jacket complete with hood. It cost me about £15 from this forum. Unfortunately I bust a few teeth off the zip so it will no longer zip up.

I can't see how on Earth they can sell a 'rain' jacket without a hood. That really is taking the Mick and I wouldn't buy one of them out of principle!!
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Note what he is holding! Personally I don't like an attached hood on a cycling jacket as IME it doesn't always turn properly with my head when looking round. Instead I use a separate water-resistant cap.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I find my hair is pretty waterproof.
Sweep
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

No hood since its for cycling but underarm vents and cheap
Dare2B Mediant Waterproof Reflective Cycling Jacket Petrol Atlantic Blue
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Sweep wrote:I find my hair is pretty waterproof.

My bald head is very much waterproof... but does get cold quite easily, especially in the wet.

I prefer a hat to a hood (including hillwalking when I don't have to worry about traffic), but there is certainly a Better Class Of Hood that will move with your head. These typically need volume adjusters to work properly, but it's no problem looking behind with one set up properly.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
bikerwaser

Post by bikerwaser »

Thanks for the help.

In the end I've bought a Marmot Precip. Just what I was looking for.

https://www.gaynors.co.uk/mens-c4/water ... EEEALw_wcB