Clothing section?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mikeymo

Clothing section?

Post by mikeymo »

Is it worth having a "Clothing" sub-forum?

There are often questions about clothing that can't seem to find a suitable home. Might be useful to have them all in the same place.
mumbojumbo

Re: Clothing section?

Post by mumbojumbo »

Why not-a lot of men like clothes.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Another sub-section?
We seem to have rather too many sub-sections IMHO.
By have a "multiple choice" system, some posts go in the wrong section or maybe the question spans two or three of them.
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote:Another sub-section?
We seem to have rather too many sub-sections IMHO.

I would agree. Too many and you end-up with occasional activity in any particular section. The question comes down to is the lack of such a sub-section inhibiting questions or discussion on such issues? Is the lack of such a sub-section preventing people finding information using the search facility? In my opinion it's no discouragement and the negatives would outweigh any positives.

Ian
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

There aren't just two ways of interacting with the forums - either read everything or use search.

There are sub-forums I never or hardly ever visit - Lejog, Women's Cycling Interests etc. There are others I will look at if there is sometimes information that I didn't know I needed, but browsing the forum I find something that might be useful and/or interesting - Technical is one of those.

A clothing sub-forum could well be the same - in casual browsing OF THAT SUB-FORUM I might find out an item of clothing that I never knew even existed, so therefore couldn't "just search" for it.

At the moment the Does Anyone Know section is a grab-bag of things that don't fit anywhere else. Or at least it should be, despite people frequently asking specific technical questions there. One type of question that often appears there is about clothing. Another is about navigation/gps. I think both of those subjects would benefit from their own sub-forums.

Of course if you are a forum user who wants to read every single thread, then sub-forums are, I suppose, a waste of time.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Good idea but as mentioned so many people can't put posts in the correct place anyway so this would just be one more option for error.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

mattsccm wrote:Good idea but as mentioned so many people can't put posts in the correct place anyway so this would just be one more option for error.

You might be right. I spend long enough reporting technical posts to get them moved into the right section.