Reflective vests

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mrsbloomsburybarton

Reflective vests

Post by mrsbloomsburybarton »

My daughters need new reflective vests. They're tall 14 and 13 year olds. Most children's vests say something like 'up to twelve years old' but the adult ones seem to be only available in medium or large. Has anybody any suggestions?
...to help all, especially young people of limited means, to a greater knowledge, love and care of the countryside, particularly by providing parking spaces for their 4x4s!!
lauriematt

Re: Reflective vests

Post by lauriematt »

mrsbloomsburybarton wrote:My daughters need new reflective vests. They're tall 14 and 13 year olds. Most children's vests say something like 'up to twelve years old' but the adult ones seem to be only available in medium or large. Has anybody any suggestions?

have you tried JJB sports??

they do several different hi vis tops inc waistcoasts & jackets!
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER
Nerazzurri

Post by Nerazzurri »

Long Link

Plenty of adult small out there. Got mine for about £5 I think; Large city bike shop selling identical one for £17!!!!
piedwagtail91

Post by piedwagtail91 »

builders merchants sell them cheaply, not too sure on the sizings though.
glueman

Post by glueman »

Ikea do them incredibly cheap in a children's safety range. Rather good they are too inc. large sizes.
mrsbloomsburybarton

Nerazzurri wrote:Plenty of adult small out there. Got mine for about £5 I think; Large city bike shop selling identical one for £17!!!!
Thanks. I've ordered two of those. Let's see what comes!!
...to help all, especially young people of limited means, to a greater knowledge, love and care of the countryside, particularly by providing parking spaces for their 4x4s!!
SeanieG

Post by SeanieG »

Earlier this year Sheffield City Council gave a load away via libraries and council offices. "Which was nice."
I have an opinion. It might not always be thoroughly thought through, but it's there.
Asdace

Re: Reflective vests

Post by Asdace »

lauriematt wrote:
mrsbloomsburybarton wrote:My daughters need new reflective vests. They're tall 14 and 13 year olds. Most children's vests say something like 'up to twelve years old' but the adult ones seem to be only available in medium or large. Has anybody any suggestions?

have you tried JJB sports??

they do several different hi vis tops inc waistcoasts & jackets!
Them Hi-Viz Gilets in JJB Sports are gem and a bargain @ £8, I like the zip pockets.
james01

Post by james01 »

I've noticed that some road-workers are issued with bright orange vests instead of yellow. In certain conditions, I reckon that the orange catches the eye better. Does anyone know of any reasearch on this ? Perhaps a vest incorporating large patches of orange & yellow may be the answer?
Nerazzurri

Post by Nerazzurri »

james01 wrote:I've noticed that some road-workers are issued with bright orange vests instead of yellow. In certain conditions, I reckon that the orange catches the eye better. Does anyone know of any reasearch on this ? Perhaps a vest incorporating large patches of orange & yellow may be the answer?

Think I read somewhere that orange is best for daytime visibility, and yellow for nightime. My tabard is orange with yellow reflective stripes; seems a good compromise.
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

My girls refuse to wear the Hi Viz vest or jacket - they are 13 and 15. But the will wear the Sam Brown.

Sam Brown is a sort of belt with a strap over the shoulder.

I point blank refuse to let them ride without some Hi Viz. The more time a car has the better I think.

Its a compromise for us.

Mary
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

james01 wrote:I've noticed that some road-workers are issued with bright orange vests instead of yellow. In certain conditions, I reckon that the orange catches the eye better. Does anyone know of any reasearch on this ? Perhaps a vest incorporating large patches of orange & yellow may be the answer?

I can't quote sources, but I seem to remember lifeboats experimenting with yellow instead of orange once, but deciding orange was a lot more visible in the daylight and for spray. I'd tend to agree that orange is better in rain and fog.

You can get yellow/orange vests speciffically for cycling, but they are ludicrous money when compared to 'road mender' vests, and I don't think the reflective is as good. It's the reflective that is important at night not the colour.

John
mrsbloomsburybarton

We use orange on the railway. When I ride through town with it on, all the postmen say wave me a cheery hello :D