Warmest Winter Gloves

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
peetee

Re: Warmest Winter Gloves

Post by peetee »

I have hands that feel the cold easily and am using PlanetX 365 race gloves with silk liners and it’s a great combination. I have used them today with an ambient temperature of 3 degrees C and a 20mph easterly wind and they were ace. If it gets any colder I still have the option of untucking the pull-over mitt too.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
speedsixdave

Post by speedsixdave »

Buffalo Mittens - thin but warm. Slightly tricky to use with STI/Ergo levers but you get used to it. Amazingly they seem to be nearly £50 now, but they are made in the UK. Get a pair, you'll never regret it even if they don't suit your cycling use.
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!
PH

Post by PH »

About twenty years ago I worked in the chiller room of a food warehouse for a few months and we were given the warmest gloves I've ever worn. I cycles in them for about the next five winters, before they wore out, I could do with another pair now and googling "Freezer gloves" brings up loads of options but none of them look familiar. This website seems to have a good choice, I might try a pair, but can't decide which, none of them look expensive compared to cycling gloves
https://www.safetygloves.co.uk/freezer- ... croll=1800
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Years ago I had a pair of Oxford Waterproof gloves. They were really warm, but they eventually wore out and I thought they had stopped making them. I recently found a pair in a bike shop (Richardson’s of Stamford) and bought them. I wore them yesterday when the temperature on the bike varied between -3 and 0 degrees C. My hands were toasty warm throughout the ride.

Oxford also make motorcycle gloves, which might be why their gloves are warmer than others. I have Sealskinz, Aldi and Planet X gloves and none are as warm as the Oxford ones.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

PH wrote:About twenty years ago I worked in the chiller room of a food warehouse for a few months and we were given the warmest gloves I've ever worn. I cycles in them for about the next five winters, before they wore out, I could do with another pair now and googling "Freezer gloves" brings up loads of options but none of them look familiar. This website seems to have a good choice, I might try a pair, but can't decide which, none of them look expensive compared to cycling gloves

At those prices it's got to be worth a punt!
bongo

Post by bongo »

PH wrote:About twenty years ago I worked in the chiller room of a food warehouse for a few months and we were given the warmest gloves I've ever worn. I cycles in them for about the next five winters, before they wore out, I could do with another pair now and googling "Freezer gloves" brings up loads of options but none of them look familiar. This website seems to have a good choice, I might try a pair, but can't decide which, none of them look expensive compared to cycling gloves

Good find.
I really dislike paying inflated prices for 'top' sport specific brand kit, and avoid unless no other option.

I currently use winter thermal gloves from Screwfix, they have quite a good range of options, got mine for a fiver, work well. I also have Decathlon RC 500 thermal cycling gloves which I think cost £12.99 and are good also. A mate of mine got a good pair from the Aldi sport specials and likes them, think they were about a tenner.
I'm in Scotland and both good so far this winter.
PH

Post by PH »

jimlews wrote:

I thought so, I've just put an order together with a friend to avoid paying postage, between us we'll have tried four styles. There's also some mitts, sold as anti-vibration, that might be good for cycling, but currently unavailable in my size.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

pjclinch wrote:All else being equal mittens (and to a lesser extent lobster claws) are warmer than gloves, though they may not be compatible with your gear shifters.

Ski gloves work pretty well IME, mountaineer's double-mitts (with optional thin liner glove inside) are generally over the top, but if you suffer might be worth looking in to. You can get a simple unlined waterproof shell mitt and pull that over gloves to good effect. There's also the battery heated glove/mitt option if you have something like Reynaud's.

Not tried pogies on a bike, but in a kayak they're amazingly effective, even without any more insulation than a wind shell. Main issue, I'd guess, is getting hands in and out: not much of an issue for a lot of touring/off-road, could be a deal breaker in traffic with lots of signalling to do though.

Pete.

I use drop bar pogies for commuting. I was a bit worried about getting hands in and out of them prior to purchase and it is something people very often query when they are remarking on them 'are your hands locked in' or 'aren't they hard to get your hands into?'. In practice though it has never been an issue even in traffic. The neoprene material mine are made of is quite stiff and they sit 'open', ready for a hand and the opening is fairly large.

In summary, not an issue gettings hands in and out.
Bowedw

Post by Bowedw »

Planet X Lobster gloves work for me. Took a bit of getting used to at first. I found ordinary gloves difficult to remove if hands are sweaty and impossible to put back on afterwards.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Drop bar "pogie" type covers are a thing.

Bar Mitts (USA)
Who do all sorts of styles for many activities that need holding onto something.

7 Roads (Ukraine), makers of bike packing bags.

I've considered some but my hands tend to overheat in thick gloves (several pairs of Aldi winter cycling gloves from a few years back) & I end up with gloves that are soggy on the inside. If I'm riding at my preferred pace, rather than riding with someone slower, I tend to swap to thinner full finger gloves after about half an hour of riding & keep the thicker gloves warm inside my layers to swap back if I'm stopped for a while for any reason.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

alexnharvey wrote:In summary, not an issue gettings hands in and out.

Thanks, that's good to know.
(I guess unlike paddling ones the bar stays pretty much put, unlike a paddle shaft.)
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Delta-Plus-V ... Swc3ZUoxM2
Originally work gloves and the idea was stolen by ski instructors in France from the bin men. You can get a posh membraned lined version from Snowshepheard. Those above are not 100% water proof but are ok for an hour or two and warm when wet due to the pile.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

I'd also recommend pogies. You can wear gloves inside them, and as long as the gloves aren't too bulky there is no difficulty in changing gears/operating the brakes. In fact because you need less thick gloves it's easier.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000256488132.html

Since 1st Jan add another 20% to these prices as vat is added at checkout now.

I have both the road and flat bar versions of these neoprene ones. They both work really well and are really good value. The flat bar versions need a little bit of stuffing with thin plastic bag where the cables exit to stop all draughts around them. The drop bar ones don't get any draught at all. The drop bar versions work well with most STI shifters and campag but not older style Shimano 'washing line' shifters as there is nowhere for the side exiting cables to pass. Personally I'd avoid pogies with cuffs as it would be harder to get hands in and out.
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

PH wrote:
jimlews wrote:

I thought so, I've just put an order together with a friend to avoid paying postage, between us we'll have tried four styles. There's also some mitts, sold as anti-vibration, that might be good for cycling, but currently unavailable in my size.

Let us know how you get on with them.
Garry Booth

Post by Garry Booth »

Liner gloves work for me, especially as you can take them out when you warm up.