Warmest Winter Gloves

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Michelin

Warmest Winter Gloves

Post by Michelin »

I know it's probably been asked loads of times but can anyone recommend a good pair of warm winter gloves that are not too bulky. Ive just bought a pair of C5 GORE-TEX Thermo Gloves which are there warmest gloves but I'm not getting on with them and they don't really keep my hands as warm as what I was expecting but the biggest thing is they are too bulky for me so they have just been put aside as I won't use them again and I've only been out with them once.It is so difficult choosing the right pair as so many say this and that to make you think that they are all fantastic. So Im looking for some toasty gloves that aren't too bulky. Cheers in advance
Syd

Re: Warmest Winter Gloves

Post by Syd »

I went through this a few winters ago and found the best compromise to be a pair of nitrile gloves under my usual winter ones. This added a layer of trapped air that, as its next to the skin, stays warm.
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

I have used sealskinz for years and they work pretty well but may be a bit bulky for you. If you use straight bars pogies could. work as I did hundreds of miles wi ter ca on racing and was surprised how warm my hands kept.
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

Meant to say winter canoe and kayak racing including Devises to Westminster.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

I found my original Winter gloves were a bit bulky for the gearchange when I switched to Brifters (dropped bars), so purchased a pair of Didoo gloves which were less bulky, and better for the gearchanges (though not by much) like these https://didoosports.co.uk/products/dido ... r-gloves-1

Not as warm as my original leather-palm padded gloves, and not much room inside for inner gloves, but a bigger pair would have been too bulky for me. Plus I'm sure the cuffs on mine are longer than the photo shown in the link, though its difficult to tell.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Pogies/Bar Mitts. Easily found for straight bars, not so easy for drops. If using neoprene ones it is still good to wear very thin gloves (like liners) because the neoprene feels rough against the skin. I bought some for the very cold winter we had a few years ago and used them only a few times. The disadvantage, with drop version, is that your hands are virtually locked in one position - on or behind the hoods.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Not cycling-specific, but over the years I've had several pairs of excellent Winter gloves from here

https://www.terra-nova.co.uk/gloves-mitts/

Their range is called Extremities.

Advantages include that they offer a range of different materials and weights.

Disadvantages = price and the fact that I doubt you would find a traditional bricks-and-mortar retailer stocking more than a small part of the range.

I used to buy at Nevisport in Leeds and York but they went down market then closed.

Silk gloves are good inside gloves without adding too much bulk
531colin

Post by 531colin »

tatanab wrote:Pogies/Bar Mitts. Easily found for straight bars, not so easy for drops. If using neoprene ones it is still good to wear very thin gloves (like liners) because the neoprene feels rough against the skin. I bought some for the very cold winter we had a few years ago and used them only a few times. The disadvantage, with drop version, is that your hands are virtually locked in one position - on or behind the hoods.

Whereas the advantage with flat bar Pogies is that your hands are always locked in one position on flat bars? :wink:
KM2

Post by KM2 »

I’ve used a pair of army gloves, canvas, leather palms and fur lined. Have 1955 stamped on. But bought another set few years ago. Have thumb and trigger finger separate.
Failing that Aldi thinsulate, not waterproof but rarely been cold in them.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

"Not too bulky" makes it impossible really - bulkier gloves are warmer.

Second the suggestion that a pair of liner gloves can make a big difference - recommendation above for silk, but personally I rate synthetic ones.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

roubaixtuesday wrote:"Not too bulky" makes it impossible really - bulkier gloves are warmer.

Second the suggestion that a pair of liner gloves can make a big difference - recommendation above for silk, but personally I rate synthetic ones.

Added to that one person's bulky is another's flimsy. That's why I linked to the Extremities range which is so comprehensive.

Re the inner gloves. For many (50+ ) years I used the white gloves provide for point duty and ceremonial wear. eg Security duty / standing idly about at Leeds Town Hall during Assizes etc. More recently, I treated myself to a black silk pair from Extremities. I suppose the main point is that if the outer gloves have sufficient room, then a thin inner pair can me a good idea. Gloves which are too tight are unlikely to help keep hands warm.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

As someone pointed out to me elsewhere, if your fingers are too long for them any gloves will be cold.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

A friend who suffers badly from cold fingers is very happy with some Decaathlon ski gloves. They have leather palms and cost about £50.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

All else being equal mittens (and to a lesser extent lobster claws) are warmer than gloves, though they may not be compatible with your gear shifters.

Ski gloves work pretty well IME, mountaineer's double-mitts (with optional thin liner glove inside) are generally over the top, but if you suffer might be worth looking in to. You can get a simple unlined waterproof shell mitt and pull that over gloves to good effect. There's also the battery heated glove/mitt option if you have something like Reynaud's.

Not tried pogies on a bike, but in a kayak they're amazingly effective, even without any more insulation than a wind shell. Main issue, I'd guess, is getting hands in and out: not much of an issue for a lot of touring/off-road, could be a deal breaker in traffic with lots of signalling to do though.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It's belatedly occurred to me to see what type of gloves were too bulky. I presume it's these

https://www.gorewear.com/uk/en-uk/c5-go ... 00563.html