MTB in primary school

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mattsccm

MTB in primary school

Postby mattsccm » 8 Jan 2021, 11:39am

Any one have any experience of cycling within schools? Not road safety stuff but low level MTB on the playing field. We have an acre of rough grass land as well as much the same of playing field and currently 7 kids that are in school and looking for something different to do.
BC website isn't offering much and communication with them isn't working well at the moment but I will persevere with them as well.
Just wondering if anyone has done anything like this before. We can't go to the climbing wall like we did last year and fancy something that we can do on site.
Cheers

gaz

Re: MTB in primary school

Postby gaz » 8 Jan 2021, 12:38pm

Not sure whether you've found this particular corner of the BC site, which would be applicable if you're seeking funding to develop a dirt track of some kind.

If it's more a case of skills coaching or supervision you might try your local authority's 'Sports' team to see if they can offer support or further pointers.
There'll be tarmac over, the white cliffs of Dover ...

DevonDamo

Postby DevonDamo » 8 Jan 2021, 1:05pm

mattsccm wrote:..and currently 7 kids that are in school and looking for something different to do.

Can't answer your question, but if the kids are enthusiastic about mountain biking, there's an awful lot you can do on a flat surface - grass or tarmac. Since the start of the first lockdown, I've been trying to upskill myself so I can tackle the trails safely as I don't bounce as well as I did when I was younger. The sort of things I've been learning are how to corner (which involves MTB-specific concepts such as 'bike body separation'), how to lift my front/back wheels, nose pivots, wheelies, manuals, bunny-hops and the list goes on. You can even start learning the basics of jumping with the assistance of a drop-kerb or a makeshift (tiny) ramp. There are loads of really good instructors putting out YouTube videos - e.g. look for Rich Drew, Fluidride, Roxy's Ride and Inspire.

Obviously it all depends on the kids and whether they're interested in doing skill development - when I was younger, I guess I'd have been after something a bit more full-on.

Oggi

Postby Oggi » 8 Jan 2021, 2:17pm

Many outdoor education centres use cycling as an activity and with primary age children it is usually done on a purpose made track within the grounds. I know of several that have constructed such tracks and there is guidance on how to do it. Staff are also required to be competent in delivering such activities usually by gaining a cycling leadership award of some sort. I also know of one centre that has constructed a bmx pump track.
The benefits are manifold and sometimes results in children gaining cycle awards themselves as well as increasing self esteem and perhaps increasing cycle safety.

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 8 Jan 2021, 2:45pm

No specific advice - but be prepared to come up against a ton of mind-numbing bureaucracy, including but not limited to, insurance & liability, gdpr, child protection, yadda yadda yadda. Much will depend on the personality of the head teacher / governers. Your ability to get started with all this will be aided if you are a parent of a kid/s at the school and therefore have an exisiting relationship with key agents. And that's all before you consider Covid arrangements... Good Luck!!
byyeee,
SiE

Oggi

Postby Oggi » 8 Jan 2021, 4:02pm

This is entirely possible and could be a real winner if you have support of the Head and governors. PM me if you want.

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 8 Jan 2021, 4:18pm

You haven't said what your relationship with the school is, but developing that relationship is likely to be important, if this will be successful. Running it as an after school club is likely to be the most feasible. It will require risk assessment, parental signatures, and whatever else the school require. As above, there may be resources at the local authority (cycling officer?) as well as BC. Sustrans used to have some materials for cycling activities with schools. You might look there, as well.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

TrevA

Postby TrevA » 8 Jan 2021, 4:46pm

You could set up a school Go-ride club, under the auspices of British Cycling, though it may not be allowed under current lockdown guidelines. I’m not sure if the CUK do something similar.

Building a proper track would be a longer term project, but you could do coached sessions for the children using the current facilities. If you could get in touch with your local BC Go-ride coach, they could help you set this up. I’ve been involved in Go-ride in the past and some of the sessions just involve setting up various activities on a flat grass area. You could set up obstacle courses, have a circular race track and hold various mock races on it, have them ride in and out of cones, etc.
Last edited by TrevA on 8 Jan 2021, 4:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com

mattsccm

Postby mattsccm » 8 Jan 2021, 4:53pm

Relation ship with school not an issue,my Headteacher asked me to look into it and all the other concerns about insurance, liability can be dealt with. I'll be the person running things during PE lessons. More interested in what people have done and activities offered etc.,
Many thanks so far. Local club can't help as the youth/Go ride side has died through lack of interest. I should know, I am chairman :D
I guess if it was a football lesson I wouldn't need to be asking but but muddy cycling isn't common in schools.
" You could set up obstacle courses, have a circular race track and hold various mock races on it, have them ride in and out of cones, etc." This sort of thing I guess.

TrevA

Postby TrevA » 8 Jan 2021, 5:04pm

I’d advise getting yourself registered for a Go-ride coaching course. Hopefully the school will help pay for it. It’s partly done online, but you’d have to attend a practical workshop to learn and then demonstrate your coaching capabilities.

Again, not sure if this is possible under lockdown, but you could make a start on the online part.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com

iandriver

Postby iandriver » 8 Jan 2021, 5:33pm

Can't help with how to organise it, but last across the line is good fun. 100 meter course, must stay in a straight line, if a foot goes down, you're disqualified.
Last over the line wins. Good for learning low speed control, if we must have an educational aspect :D
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....

Jamesh

Postby Jamesh » 8 Jan 2021, 7:18pm

Are there not bikeability or independent bike instructors who could help out.

They will have the training and insurance to carry out the activity.

Cheers James

LittleGreyCat

Postby LittleGreyCat » 8 Jan 2021, 9:58pm

What age range? Not sure this has been mentioned.

mattsccm

Postby mattsccm » 9 Jan 2021, 1:11pm

Primary.
Sadly our local providers can't help at the moment because of Covid. Which is why we have the opportunity to try this. We'll get there.

mumbojumbo

Postby mumbojumbo » 9 Jan 2021, 5:41pm

Two things would concern me
1.surface for riding-grass far better than tarmac etc
2. condition of bikes
I have taken kids 12-14 on road rides but bikes almost unfailingly needed attention -| did loads of repairs etc.I feel it is risky with kids under 9.