Can anyone recommend me a bike please?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
agent4125

Can anyone recommend me a bike please?

Postby agent4125 » 17 Jan 2021, 11:41am

Hey all, first time poster. I cycle a few times a week for an hour at a time, usually just around town, occasionally off-road but not down the side of a mountain or anything. I currently have a 15 year old heavy "Minerva" mountain bike that I bought for around £150 I think, and I'm looking to upgrade.

I've been looking at hybrid/gravel bikes as mostly I'll be on the road, but occasionally down country paths etc.

I have a budget around £500-£1000. There seems to be a fair bit of choice and I never know who to trust with online reviews as the pessimist in me assumes some of them will have been paid/incentivised to write good reviews or promote some bikes over others.

Can anyone recommend some good/suitable bikes for me to look at?

Thanks - James.

Bonefishblues

Re: Can anyone recommend me a bike please?

Postby Bonefishblues » 17 Jan 2021, 11:52am

If more down the offroad end of the scale, top end of the Pinnacle Lithium hybrid range are very good bike. If more road, I like the Whyte range (we have a Carnaby & a Cambridge), but both bikes will do both ends of the spectrum iyswim, they just approach it differently :D

Gravel bikes I'm not so 'up' on tbh, but I'd certainly be looking at the Alpkit Sonder Camino Aluminium
Last edited by Bonefishblues on 17 Jan 2021, 2:28pm, edited 1 time in total.

TrevA

Postby TrevA » 17 Jan 2021, 2:25pm

For a hybrid, I’d recommend the Trek FX2 - hydraulic disc brakes, 700c wheels with 35mm tyres for a comfortable ride, nice upright riding position. My wife has one and loves it. I think she paid around £450 about 18 months ago, they are just over £500 now. You can fit a rack and mudguards if you want.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com

Jamesh

Postby Jamesh » 17 Jan 2021, 4:57pm

Do you prefer flat bars or drop bars?

Other than that the spec the bikes will be pretty similar except I think that you will get hydraulic brakes cheaper on a hybrid bike than on a gravel bike.

Usually the in house brands from decathlon, Halfords etc are cheapest, then the direct sales companies like canyon and Ribble etc and then the big name brands will be most expensive like specialized, trek etc. Or you will end up with a lower spec for your money. I'd be looking at 9 speed groupsets for that sort of money.

Cheers James

mumbojumbo

Postby mumbojumbo » 17 Jan 2021, 5:51pm

Easy-a usedmtb in steel from mid 90s,with variation achieved by swapping tyres.A teenager will soon outgrow a new bike.Can get mtb for £100.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 17 Jan 2021, 5:54pm

That's what he's riding already,a 15 yo MTB.

Jamesh

Postby Jamesh » 17 Jan 2021, 10:17pm

mumbojumbo wrote:Easy-a usedmtb in steel from mid 90s,with variation achieved by swapping tyres.A teenager will soon outgrow a new bike.Can get mtb for £100.

His bike is 15yo not he's a teenager!!

Cheers James

agent4125

Postby agent4125 » 18 Jan 2021, 1:57pm

Thanks all, I'll take a look at the bikes you mentioned.

I think I'd prefer flat bars. And yep it was the bike that was 15 years old, not me! :)

Jamesh

Postby Jamesh » 18 Jan 2021, 6:14pm

If look for carbon forks, hydraulic brakes and use that as your basis of choosing.

That way you know your getting a quality bike with good components.

However hydraulic brakes are a bit contentious!!

Cheers James

agent4125

Postby agent4125 » 18 Jan 2021, 9:12pm

Thanks - contentious how?

Tompsk

Postby Tompsk » 18 Jan 2021, 9:31pm

agent4125 wrote:Thanks - contentious how?

Ooer - you may have disturbed a hornets nest there! Some swear by them, some swear at them :-)

gxaustin

Postby gxaustin » 19 Jan 2021, 4:52pm

Isn't that argument only among road cyclists. I don't know any off roaders using rim brakes.
I know increasing numbers of roadies with discs too - they favour hydraulic.

Jamesh

Postby Jamesh » 19 Jan 2021, 9:53pm

gxaustin wrote:

Isn't that argument only among road cyclists. I don't know any off roaders using rim brakes.
I know increasing numbers of roadies with discs too - they favour hydraulic.

Yeap were still coming to terms with a headset stems and dual pivot brakes!!

Cheers James

Icsunonove

Postby Icsunonove » 20 Jan 2021, 3:02pm

agent4125 wrote:Hey all, first time poster. I cycle a few times a week for an hour at a time, usually just around town, occasionally off-road but not down the side of a mountain or anything. I currently have a 15 year old heavy "Minerva" mountain bike that I bought for around £150 I think, and I'm looking to upgrade.

I've been looking at hybrid/gravel bikes as mostly I'll be on the road, but occasionally down country paths etc.

I have a budget around £500-£1000. There seems to be a fair bit of choice and I never know who to trust with online reviews as the pessimist in me assumes some of them will have been paid/incentivised to write good reviews or promote some bikes over others.

Can anyone recommend some good/suitable bikes for me to look at?

Thanks - James.

Yes, there's an awful lot of choice out there. I think answering a few questions may help to narrow the search:

Do you want/need mudguards?
Would you like/need to carry luggage?
What sort of terrain (hills) do you cycle over? i.e. What sort of gear range do you need?
How rough are the trails you intend to ride? i.e. how robust bike/tyres need to be.
How fast do you want to cycle? (Weight of bike, type of tyres)
How comfortable does the bike need to be? (Suspension/tyres/rider position/geometry etc)
Do you like cleaning and tinkering/fettling bikes? (If not, perhaps worth considering hub gears?)

A good course of action might be to think about all these aspects, do a bit of research, and then visit a good bike shop for a chat and view bikes you're interested in 'in the flesh'.

chris_suffolk

Postby chris_suffolk » 20 Jan 2021, 3:58pm

Icsunonove wrote:A good course of action might be to think about all these aspects, do a bit of research, and then visit a good bike shop for a chat and view bikes you're interested in 'in the flesh'.

Assuming of course you can find a retailer with any stock - or have they managed to catchup after the run on sales last year?