where to find some Shimano PD A600 pedals?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
nomm

where to find some Shimano PD A600 pedals?

Post by nomm »

I used to own a pair of these on a former bike and they were great. For some reason I think I sold them with the bike sale, thinking I would buy the Shimano ES600, which I never got round to doing, as they were getting a bit of a slating due to the changes made over the a600s.

So, needing some new pedals I did the usual search online and can't find a single pair available? I can find the ES600s for as cheap as £50 but the A600s seem to not exist. Someone on Ebay wants £75 for a well used pair (the only pair on there)
The utility cyclist

Re: where to find some Shimano PD A600 pedals?

Post by The utility cyclist »

nomm wrote:I used to own a pair of these on a former bike and they were great. For some reason I think I sold them with the bike sale, thinking I would buy the Shimano ES600, which I never got round to doing, as they were getting a bit of a slating due to the changes made over the a600s.

So, needing some new pedals I did the usual search online and can't find a single pair available? I can find the ES600s for as cheap as £50 but the A600s seem to not exist. Someone on Ebay wants £75 for a well used pair (the only pair on there)

They're showing as in stock here https://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/shop/index. ... ct_id=4487 and here https://www.alfjonescycles.co.uk/produc ... ls-pda600/ or you could try the A520s for a fair bit less
nomm

Post by nomm »

The utility cyclist wrote:
nomm wrote:I used to own a pair of these on a former bike and they were great. For some reason I think I sold them with the bike sale, thinking I would buy the Shimano ES600, which I never got round to doing, as they were getting a bit of a slating due to the changes made over the a600s.

They're showing as in stock here https://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/shop/index. ... ct_id=4487 and here https://www.alfjonescycles.co.uk/produc ... ls-pda600/ or you could try the A520s for a fair bit less

Thanks for that - I agree, I will not be spending £90 on a600s. I think my old pair cost me less than £50 when the es600 came out. I've never tried the a520s before, but have a pair of es600 being delivered for £45, so will wait on those.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

PD-A520 were a bit of a bargain, being slightly heavier and slightly narrower (to the outside of the cleat position) than PD-A600, but appreciably cheaper. IMHO you mainly need the extra width if you can't get the cleat centred under your foot, and your feet don't need to be that wide before you will struggle to do this with many SPD pedals.

The current ES series pedals are as wide as PD-A600 but are less well balanced, so tend hang at an awkward angle, once the bearings and seals run in that is; prior to that they will hang at any angle they feel like, more or less. If you have ever used PD-7410, PD-6500, PD-A515, PD-A525 SPD pedals then it'll be a familiar sensation, I'd imagine; they all hang 'toe down' too. Not as easy to clip into as most other SPD pedals.

there is a pretty fair review of these pedals here

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/02/shimano-pd-es600-ultegra-spd-pedal-review/

to which I'd add that in the clarty UK weather, shiny pedal spindles look pretty to start with, but soon go rusty and allen-key only pedal spindles are not a good idea if the pedals might get seized in the cranks.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The utility cyclist

Honestly never had any issues with clipping into one sided SPD, like most things you just get used to flipping round which you still need to do with double sided and like straps and clips before you just punt it round and in your foot goes. Had the Dura Ace and Ultegra, sold them both as seemed to be attracting high prices, then went to Wellgo magnesium's which were a tripped down lightweight singe sided out and out road pedal (I still wasn't keen on SPD-R or LOOK variants, also used Wellgo R713 which were a PD-7410 copy and had very nice bearings.

these days I'm happier with double sided, use M530s on the gravel bike (£27 2 years ago through Halfords so bought three pairs) and XT8000 XC on the touring/audax bike, will only ever use single sided for out and out 'race' bike riding.
Brucey wrote:to which I'd add that in the clarty UK weather, shiny pedal spindles look pretty to start with, but soon go rusty and allen-key only pedal spindles are not a good idea if the pedals might get seized in the cranks.

How much do stainless steel spindles rust with no intervention? But who even cares except those that will wipe their spindles or use preventative measures in any case. AK only pedals are ok if one applies anti seize compound of your favoured flavour, and these days many people are just sending their bikes to the bike shop.
Personally I won't take a pedal spanner with me when touring as a 6mm AK is more than enough.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

How much do stainless steel spindles rust with no intervention?.

IME shimano pedal spindles are plated, not stainless, and they go rusty.

If you push hard on the pedals, a week's touring can cause them to precess (self tighten) so that you can only just get them off with a tool about 12" long. YMMV of course.

FWIW I used to ride clips and straps whilst doing all kinds of technical stuff offroad; double-sided SPDs are a lot easier, and anything which (quite unnecessarily) makes it more awkward than it needs to be to clip in is a step backwards not a step forwards. As I mentioned I thought the review I linked to was fair and they also mention this.

cheers
The utility cyclist

Brucey wrote:
How much do stainless steel spindles rust with no intervention?.

IME shimano pedal spindles are plated, not stainless, and they go rusty.

If you push hard on the pedals, a week's touring can cause them to precess (self tighten) so that you can only just get them off with a tool about 12" long. YMMV of course.

FWIW I used to ride clips and straps whilst doing all kinds of technical stuff offroad; double-sided SPDs are a lot easier, and anything which (quite unnecessarily) makes it more awkward than it needs to be to clip in is a step backwards not a step forwards. As I mentioned I thought the review I linked to was fair and they also mention this.

cheers

My mileage varies massively to what you're stating, not even close and I can easily knock out a 1000 watts in an effort, no problem removing pedals with an AK, helps if you have proper tools mind. Pedals like most things you get used to the nuances of where to tap to rotate or place your foot to slide in or clip in, it's not that big a deal after a short running in period.
As for rust, it's not really an issue for those that aren't bothered about cleaning and no rust on 25 year old XT SPD axles so maybe it's really not that big a deal to 99.9% of people.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

like I said, YMMV. For example on the return trip from touring trips or training camps, folk often find that their pedals are mysteriously much tighter than when they were installed, and if the bikes are packed at the airport it is not at all unusual to see folks wrestling with inadequate tools trying desperately to get their pedals off; if a 6mm allen key works for you, great, but it certainly doesn't work for everyone. Nor does an 8mm key either, if the threads are not kept well greased and corrosion sets in.

When it comes to clipping in, same story. Folk aren't stupid, so if you ask the question 'less easy to clip in or more easy to clip in?' of the ES600 pedal vs the A600 pedal, the answer is 'less easy with the ES600 model' and after that you can make your mind up yourself.

Every single set of well-used shimano pedals with the long exposed axle, shiny or not, (eg PD-M540 etc, various XT and XTR models, A600 etc) I've seen or had myself has started to corrode after a while. Some of the posh models have 'shimano' marked on the shiny part of the spindle and that is where they usually start to corrode first. If you know it is likely to happen you can do something about it (like clean the bike after every wet/winter ride). However if you believe that they are somehow 'stainless' you are probably in for a nasty surprise instead.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I had a pair of XTR pedals that had rusted spindles. I was surprised how quickly a top end pedal rusted.

I also had a pair of Shimano pedals that seized in the cranks. I did use anti-seize on installation but failed to re-apply each year (note to self) and I could only get one of the pair out. I ended up scrapping the cranks as well, which fortunately were cheap and had done a lot of miles, but I think I would have got both pedals out if they had had spanner flats as well as the allen key socket. The socket rounded. If I had pedals without spanner flats I would now re-apply anti-seize a couple of times over winter.

I did wonder if those newer single sided pedal would hang the wrong way, and it seems they do. Best avoided, I think. I am currently using A520)s and when they eventually give up I suppose a double sided model will be preferable to pedals that hangs the wrong way when your foot searches for them. I am sure Shimano took the rear weight off to get a lower claimed weight as a selling point, but the weight they have taken off was doing a useful job.
Last edited by pwa on 27 Jan 2021, 3:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

pwa wrote:…. I am currently using A%")s....

you may have the same keyboard layout as me, in which case A%") translates as A520...? :wink:

FWIW when an 8mm hexagon socket type spindle is overloaded, a common outcome is that the spindle socket splits lengthwise at one of the six hexagon corners.

cheers
pwa

Post by pwa »

Brucey wrote:
pwa wrote:…. I am currently using A%")s....

you may have the same keyboard layout as me, in which case A%") translates as A520...? :wink:

Correctly worked out. I am tempted to submit other posts in code. :lol:
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

This thread prompted me to go check my A600's. They have been on a bike at least 3 years but the bikes not been ridden for about 15 months. Once I got it into my head which way to turn they required some force to remove. They were quite tight and you begin to wonder if your undoing them in the right direction. At least they did come off but would prefer it if they had spanner flats. I have the A520s on my other bikes and save the A600s for best and touring.

P.S there are a couple or so ad's on Ebay and some new ones but from America.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
The utility cyclist

cycleruk wrote:This thread prompted me to go check my A600's. They have been on a bike at least 3 years but the bikes not been ridden for about 15 months. Once I got it into my head which way to turn they required some force to remove. They were quite tight and you begin to wonder if your undoing them in the right direction. At least they did come off but would prefer it if they had spanner flats. I have the A520s on my other bikes and save the A600s for best and touring.

P.S there are a couple or so ad's on Ebay and some new ones but from America.

which means +20%VAt including on the postage +£9 RM handling fee, so that gets it down to about £69 for a new pair, might as well buy all three (postage is only $3 more) and then sell the other two.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHIMANO-TIAG ... GTR=1#shId
nomm

Post by nomm »

My ES600s turned up today. I will give them a go, unless some good nick a600s turn up second hand
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

How much weight would one have to add to the back of an es600 to get it to sit right?