Parts from the UK

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
francovendee

Re: Parts from the UK

Post by francovendee »

Didn't the UK government decide to put on hold the checks and duties on imports for the time being?
I don't think the EU has any reciprocal arrangement.

Oddly,I've noticed anything coming here (France) from China arrives quickly.
There may be stock in the west they ship from.
In the past I've ordered from China and often waited 6 weeks to get them delivered.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

francovendee wrote:Didn't the UK government decide to put on hold the checks and duties on imports for the time being?
I don't think the EU has any reciprocal arrangement.

Yes. There was the transition period, then the grace periods, and now there are the extensions of the grace periods. But only bu one party.

(The new agreement hasn't been ratified by the European Parliament. But that doesn't affect its implementation.)

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Evidence presented to the UK Trade and Business Commission today:
https://www.tradeandbusiness.uk/news/sm ... sting-jobs
https://mobile.twitter.com/UKTradeBusiness

Mostly not about bike parts. Mostly saying that the problems for small businesses aren't teething pains.

Jonathan
AMMoffat

Post by AMMoffat »

Has anyone ordered anything from Bikester over the £135 customs duty limit? Their website claims that

we ship all our products from our warehouses in Germany

and also that

No, you won't have any import duty or extra taxes to pay. Regardless of whether you're in the UK mainland, Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland, Bikester covers all import fees and taxes to deliver your order.

Is this really the case?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

There's some discussion of Bikester in recent threads:
search.php?keywords=bikester

And of imports from Bikester and others in the reciprocal thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=142589&hilit=bikester

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

AMMoffat wrote: 31 May 2021, 7:43am Has anyone ordered anything from Bikester over the £135 customs duty limit? Their website claims that

and also that
No, you won't have any import duty or extra taxes to pay. Regardless of whether you're in the UK mainland, Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland, Bikester covers all import fees and taxes to deliver your order.

Is this really the case?
If you can't be bothered with all the posts in the other threads - the answer is yes.
it's a logistics solution, where they import it to themselves, before supplying you.
It works both ways, so is as relevant in this thread as any other.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

simonhill wrote: 2 Apr 2021, 3:37pm Doesn't that make it illegal?
In what way?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
AMMoffat

Post by AMMoffat »

PH wrote: 31 May 2021, 10:31am
AMMoffat wrote: 31 May 2021, 7:43am Has anyone ordered anything from Bikester over the £135 customs duty limit? Their website claims that

and also that

Is this really the case?
If you can't be bothered with all the posts in the other threads - the answer is yes.
it's a logistics solution, where they import it to themselves, before supplying you.
It works both ways, so is as relevant in this thread as any other.
Thank you, yes I had seen reference to that elsewhere, but what Bikester say on their website seemed contradictory. I didn't want to order from them and find myself with a large customs bill.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

pete75 wrote: 31 May 2021, 11:28am
simonhill wrote: 2 Apr 2021, 3:37pm Doesn't that make it illegal?
In what way?
Cripes, that's going back some (2nd April). Found it on previous page.

You wrote " In the past month I've bought some motorcycle parts and an outboard from German retailers. They didn't charge VAT because the goods were being sold outside the EU and I didn't get charged VAT here because not many imports are being checked."

In other words you didn't pay the tax due. Not sure if other people's incompetence is an excuse in (tax) law.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

The stuff had passed through UK import procedures and it's at the point of import VAT and other duties are meant to be charged. What do you expect people to do, email whichever bâtard Tory is Chancellor of the Exchequer and say excuse me sir I haven't been charged any import taxes on such and such an item so where should I send the cheque.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Letter from the UK Trade and Business Commission on the problems of UK SMEs:https://www.tradeandbusiness.uk/news/go ... t-red-tape
includes:

"SMEs do not feel that their experiences of trade or globally are being heard or taken seriously by the Government, and may make decisions to cease trade or move operations without such a channel to discuss what can be done."

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

But a very posh local shop...

Screenshot 2021-08-29 at 15.45.24.png

Any guesses?

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

That was Fortnum & Mason:

Screenshot 2021-08-31 at 10.01.50.png
https://www.fortnumandmason.com/marketi ... u-delivery

But other are being hampered too, and for some it's permanent:
viewtopic.php?p=1634543#p1634543

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 1 Sep 2021, 12:10pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Hampered. :D
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Poor expats will have to go without Marmite, pork scratchings and real biscuits this Christmas :cry: