Is this turbo trainer thing too easy?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
belgiangoth

Is this turbo trainer thing too easy?

Post by belgiangoth »

Using a cyclops old fathomed magnetic tt. Adjusting the resistance setting appears to do nothing and it doesn’t seem to be providing much resistance. Is there anything I can check or fix without needing to replace the unit?

[not edited for clarity, all the following posts are clearly from lunatics]
[honest guv]
Last edited by belgiangoth on 25 Jan 2021, 7:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
Bmblbzzz

Re: Is this tt thing too easy?

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Oh. I thought you meant time trials.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Oh. I thought you meant time trials.

That's the problem with people throwing abbreviations around, thinking everyone knows what they mean. :roll:
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

De Sisti wrote:

That's the problem with people throwing abbreviations around, thinking everyone knows what they mean. :roll:
Nah. It means top tube.
further

Post by further »

Tourist Trophy shirley
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

We all know time trials are too easy.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
seph

Re: Is this turbo trainer thing too easy?

Post by seph »

... and resistance is futile..
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

belgiangoth wrote:Using a cyclops old fathomed magnetic tt. Adjusting the resistance setting appears to do nothing and it doesn’t seem to be providing much resistance. Is there anything I can check or fix without needing to replace the unit?]

I've no idea how a mag' trainer works but initially I would check that the cable adjuster is working as it should.
Follow the cable down to the unit to see where / what it is connected too.
Probably some cover that can be removed to where the cable connects and see if anything is moving as you operate the lever.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Last time I used a non-smart turbo (can’t recall how it developed resistance) I set the unit once then simply changed gears on the bike to alter it. May be worth a go at that.
Bowedw

Post by Bowedw »

I bought a second hand cross trainer. Ready dismantled which was convenient but concealed the fact that the resistance adjustment did nothing.
I opened it up and moved the magnet closer to the flywheel and it's fine now. Your turbo trainer will have a similar arrangement which you may be able to access. I did have one but cannot remember any details if it could be opened up.
Si

Post by Si »

The resistance lever makes little difference to my mag TT. I change resistance by changing gear.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Syd wrote:Last time I used a non-smart turbo (can’t recall how it developed resistance) I set the unit once then simply changed gears on the bike to alter it. May be worth a go at that.

I would echo this. I keep mine on its lowest mag setting for the most part and use the bike's higher gears. A plus point is that there's less resistance - and hopefully therefore less wear - on the tyre. I don't get the black tyre marks on the roller that I've seen some complain of, so maybe there's a connection.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !