Bike shop stock levels UK?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Tangled Metal

Re: Bike shop stock levels UK?

Post by Tangled Metal »

Leisure lakes in Lancaster has bikes in the window but nothing I want. All bright blue with bright orange lettering in hardtail or fs mtb. They used to have loads of bromptons not anymore
Dave R

Post by Dave R »

Enquired at my LBS about waiting time for the bike that I wanted. October 21 was earliest availability with no guarantees of it arriving by then. Fortunately they had an agreeable alternative so bought that one ( the only one in stock my size) right there and then. Pleased that I did because they increased in price by £100-00 the next week.
Shop told me that they were concerned about stock levels for the spring time. I walked by the other evening and did notice some 'new arrivals' in boxes so something is getting through for them.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

There is a blockage at the container ports apparently. Loads of containers waiting to be moved - this means stuff awaiting delivery, plus a shortage of empties being returned to Asia.

Plenty of loaded big ships still coming and going on the Thames, presumably faster than the cargoes can be handled.

I heard that the military could be used to move some of the containers. It only made a couple of news bulletins, then went quiet.

Anybody got an HGV licence and a few days to spare?
Paul Smith SRCC

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

Bikes wise many of the popular brands are presold for much of the year, we will get what we have on order but not much will arrive in respect of orders placed now. Last week I had a customer want a Medium Trek Slash 8, we had just sold the one we had ordered back in the summer and I quoted "June" for the replacement, before I had a chance to finish he said "Oh no, five months"; I then finished what I had started and said "not June 2021, June 2022!"

At first glance when a customer walks into a store they may see a shop full of bikes and often a few in boxes that have been delivered, just as they would normally expect to see; but that does not paint the entire picture as these bikes have often been ordered months ago. In reality the way we supply bikes at the moment has therefore changed, where as normally a store may show case a a model range and order in from that, the customer choosing the model, colour and size of their choice, the latter often after a sizing 'bike fit' and something that many find of value that sadly we can't offer at the moment. The current situation is it's far more a case of we can supply something that would be a relevant choice, it may not be your first, second or third choice, but it is a viable consideration. The other thing that has changed is a more traditional LBS is having customers travel from further a field should they happen to have the very bike the customer wants; a bike that their own LBS has just quoted a very long ETA for.

The availability of parts is not much better, last Saturday I tried to quote for a custom build using the customer's existing frame and updating to Shimano GRX810, nearly all of that had late summer and into the winter lead times. Many stores did OK during the Pandemic, cycling boomed, demand increased but supply often decreased as manufacturing was not seen as essential and many closed for a time. I know that many in the industry are very nervous about the next few months; I am personally part time Furlough, I am bike fitter and salesman, I can not do the former and am very limited to what I can offer regarding the latter.

Brexit has taken everyone by surprise as well, imports are slower and far more expensive, expect to see significant price increases to bikes especially.
Last edited by Paul Smith SRCC on 1 Feb 2021, 2:12pm, edited 5 times in total.
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Has the vast range (theoretically) on offer nowadays also made availablity worse.

Nuances of bike type; of size; of colour; of spec; etc; etc.
PH

Post by PH »

Thanks Paul, for the picture from the other side of the fence.
Paul Smith SRCC

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

simonhill wrote:Has the vast range (theoretically) on offer nowadays also made availability worse. Nuances of bike type; of size; of colour; of spec; etc; etc.

Yes definitely, when I started thirty odd years ago the ranges were smaller and stores stocked more as a result, these days it is more about showcasing a range, the distributor holds stock and the dealer in comparison to what we did years ago far less. We still ordered a percentage in for customers but these days that percentage is far greater.

The exception to that will be the larger multi outlet online stores, their business model is far more 'click and collect' and they use their stores far more as that, a collection point to distribute their large stock holding. That business model can work to an extent, although it has to be said it's these chains that often get into financial difficulty, but for me it's works far more on a business level than it does for what I would personally look for. I'm not just talking about the cycle trade, I'd much rather buy something from someone that offers a superior service than I would give my business to someone just because they can supply what the item I want. In the case of a quality LBS they may offer a 'sizing' and then 'collection fit', the former not only helping with size choice but often what is the most suitable model as well; far more danger of ordering the wrong size or model when it's 'click and buy/collect'.
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
nomm

Post by nomm »

My LBC has a sign in the window stating ...if you need a new bike or parts, but now... when I am out of stock anything new will be 25% plus due to demand/brexit/covid...
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Tangled Metal wrote:Leisure lakes in Lancaster has bikes in the window but nothing I want. All bright blue with bright orange lettering in hardtail or fs mtb. They used to have loads of bromptons not anymore

Smart move away from commuting to leisure cycling.

Commuting from the kitchen to the study!!!

Cheers James
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

nomm wrote:My LBC has a sign in the window stating ...if you need a new bike or parts, but now... when I am out of stock anything new will be 25% plus due to demand/brexit/covid...

The price of the bike I ordered back in October has risen by £500.
The shop owner being a decent chap, is selling all pre ordered bikes at the original price.
Beauty will save the world.
nomm

Post by nomm »

Vetus Ossa wrote:
nomm wrote:My LBC has a sign in the window stating ...if you need a new bike or parts, but now... when I am out of stock anything new will be 25% plus due to demand/brexit/covid...

The price of the bike I ordered back in October has risen by £500.
The shop owner being a decent chap, is selling all pre ordered bikes at the original price.

Similar to a few friends looking at 2021 stock, sending me link asking for advice. I usually state ...that's very over priced for the spec... Before looking around and realising that is now the new going rate