Bike shop stock levels UK?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Tangled Metal

Bike shop stock levels UK?

Post by Tangled Metal »

What are UK bike shop stock levels like? Are some things plentiful and others still rarer than hens teeth?

I've been looking at folding bikes and whilst last night a few non electric versions turned up in stock on their website it's been a rare thing. However spa cycles website implies there's stock of airnimal bikes. Doubtful imho

So anyone know what's available in bike shops near them assuming they're even open?

PS not all shops have sales outlets online with live stock levels. Some only have a brief website telling people where they are and what brands are stocked. Not possible to fully gauge stock levels just from online sources I reckon.
rotavator

Re: Bike shop stock levels UK?

Post by rotavator »

Two branches of Halfords had plenty of bikes in stock when I visited recently, unlike a few months ago when I was amazed to see completely empty shop floors.
PH

Post by PH »

I've seen/heard of a couple of people with new Joey's this year, one direct from Airnimal and the other I think from Cycle Heaven in York. best way to check Spa stock is to ring them. In these days of online shopping, it isn't always clear what "In stock" means, it many cases it just means available to them rather than physically in their location.
More generally, though still online, I helped a friend choose and source a C2W commuter this month. From a shortlist of six, three were in stock from eligible suppliers in a medium size, I'm pretty certain some of them were referring to the same stock. They chose a Kona Dew, from Wiggle, I don't know what stock levels of this common bike would normally be like, it wasn't hard to find them a bike, but probably a bit more so than normally.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Have you read the covid message on the spa website? They've added a comment about not accepting the C2W schemes.

We do not accept Cyclescheme Vouchers due the 12% commission. There is no charge/commission if the employer payroll does the admin and pays the shop directly, as HMRC orginally intended.

That made me chuckle.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Worth reading this:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 8&t=423399

I know the shop owner writing it.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Very interesting. Thanks.

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

Tangled Metal wrote:Have you read the covid message on the spa website? They've added a comment about not accepting the C2W schemes.

We do not accept Cyclescheme Vouchers due the 12% commission. There is no charge/commission if the employer payroll does the admin and pays the shop directly, as HMRC orginally intended.

That made me chuckle.

Yes, made me chuckle as well, though maybe for different reasons, I don't know if they envisage people telling their payroll dept's what to do, it isn't a conversation that would have gone well with any employer I've had.
The whole C2W thing is a bit of a con and disadvantages the smaller retailers, I doubt the likes of Wiggle are paying a 12% commission. Halfords got in on the act, they run a scheme where they're paying themselves the commission! Spa used to take the vouchers and charge an admin fee (£100?) I don't know why they stopped, I wondered if it was within the rules.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

My LBS, a true independent LBS, normally has plenty of bikes on their floor - maybe 25 - 30 including a couple of Bromptons. At one time during the height of the bike craze I saw only 2 or 3 in there. Last time I glanced in as I cycled past they had quite a few on display. No idea what sort, but a decent level of stock.

I suspect stock levels all over are rising and will do until weather picks up - then who knows.
oldtimer99

Post by oldtimer99 »

Pot luck innit.
Ordered an Islabike Janis from Islabikes (!) last Sunday. Had a call from Isla on Tuesday, saying bike was being despatched, and it arrived Wednesday.
Beautiful bike for Mrs Oldtimer and top notch service.
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

I had a look at the Go Outdoors site a few days ago, the range was very small and of that many were out of stock. Contrast that to pre-pandemic stock which must have been 3 or 4 times as many models with most in stock.

Prices going up considerably too. I bought a couple of chainrings from Amazon for about £4 each, before they were delivered Amazon's price had gone up to £10 each so maybe they have decided because stocks are running low they will maximise revenue on their last chainrings.
nomm

Post by nomm »

I have noticed a lot of the big retailers not having normal things in stock, and my local bike shop is also reporting difficulty sourcing parts at all levels of expense.
brumster

Post by brumster »

Can't move for bikes @ Wheelbase in Staveley - a fair few are still in boxes awaiting assembly.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

PH wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Have you read the covid message on the spa website? They've added a comment about not accepting the C2W schemes.

That made me chuckle.

Yes, made me chuckle as well, though maybe for different reasons, I don't know if they envisage people telling their payroll dept's what to do, it isn't a conversation that would have gone well with any employer I've had.
The whole C2W thing is a bit of a con and disadvantages the smaller retailers, I doubt the likes of Wiggle are paying a 12% commission. Halfords got in on the act, they run a scheme where they're paying themselves the commission! Spa used to take the vouchers and charge an admin fee (£100?) I don't know why they stopped, I wondered if it was within the rules.

Some employers would listen, some wouldn't. Some might have bought into C2W schemes without realising how much vanished in commission.

Small employers might well do it directly - I'm a small employer, and if any of our employees want a bike, then they just have to ask, discuss how it comes out of salary sacrifice, and I'll put it through our payroll, and pay the shop directly. Should get a much better deal for employee, employer and bike shop. But a finance company doesn't earn any commission.

- Nigel
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

brumster wrote:Can't move for bikes @ Wheelbase in Staveley - a fair few are still in boxes awaiting assembly.

I was up there last year in the times it was allowed. One trip nothing but bikes in boxes backing up waiting to be made up straight for customer orders. Nothing much in the shop you could buy in the way of bikes. Then I visited a bit later and it had quite a few Riese and Muller bikes, cargo, bikes, etc. They were great for filling up a slightly under used space. More bikes but compared to past years it's possibly half empty. They're usually crammed in and in the other room upstairs too . That room is stores now possibly bikes to fulfill customer orders. Bike in, settled and it too customer I guess is their business right now.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

My employers would not even accept C2W schemes. Previous employer left the leaflet from HMRC around to see if anyone was interested. If I said yes and asked for him to do it direct without a scheme he'd have said yes. However him and the accountant would look into how to do it then decide it's too hard. Seriously, there was an accountant who didn't like accounting forms or anything new he had to do.