Getting your bike resprayed

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
puffin

Re: Getting your bike resprayed

Post by puffin »

Brucey wrote:you are right, there is not a lot to see. However it may not be a bad idea to take photos anyway; this way in a few months time you will be able to compare and contrast, and this may tell you if (say) the paint is lifting around any given damaged area or not...?

cheers

Will do! To get it into the hole behind the crank I used a syringe supplied by the vet to measure doses of metacam for one of my dogs. The dog seems fine with it.
puffin

Post by puffin »

Doesn't look very different...
Attachments
20210218_104044.jpg
20210218_104031.jpg
20210218_104054.jpg
20210218_104247.jpg
Paul Smith SRCC

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

Steel frames can also rust internally which can go relatively unnoticed; it's not unusual for an older frame to fail not long after a respray from the 'inside out'.

I have a couple of thirty five year old 531 frames, now a bit battered and I have touched up the scratches to protect. During their life I have had both resprayed, although that was driven by removing Cantilever braze on mounts more than it was to freshen the appearance. Being so old I would not respray either again, when I give them a proper service, BB out kind of service, rust tumbles out of it from inside, quite a bit of it to be honest. I still use them for day rides, if they fail then I've ruined a day out but I have replaced them with a newer bike for holidays; mind you even that is fourteen years old now :lol:

My recommendation would be to ride yours and see how you feel after Lejog (that I did on my steel frame that I now use a fixie). You may decide that you have grown attached to your two wheeled loyal friend as it's taken you on that adventure; or you may decide you'd actually prefer something else. If the former then if sure why not treat yourself to a respray; although if it is an older frame referencing my first sentence perhaps not risking investing in one by some of the more expensive painters. Arguably you get what you pay for, with the cheaper painters don't expect perfection, the odd run maybe and more basic designs but perfectly serviceable on bikes that don't enjoy a precious life as far as I'm concerned; I just wanted plain simple colours that hid their scars well and easy to touch up!

In no particular order here are just a few that I know of:

Vaz Cycle Finishes:
25 Mallet Rd,
Hither Green,
London
SE13 6SP
Inexpensive and good value.
Phone number: 020 8852 0711.

Colour Tech:
Industrial Unit at rear at
165 Heath Lane
Dartford
Kent
DA1 2TW
Phone number: 01322 555549
Email: David@Colour-Tech.co.uk
Probably slightly better than Vaz at the more intricate finishes; although I have not used Vaz for a few years, he may be as good now; an example My Bike, a good balance of quality versus pricing.

Dave Yates - 01526 343322 (During office hours only please!)
Ivy House Farm
Hawthorn Hill
Coningsby
Lincolnshire
LN4 4UW.
Email: enquiries@daveyatesframes.co.uk
Not seen their work since Dave left 'M Steel', not sure if he does them in house or if he outsources paintwork, but if you need some work done to the frame then he will probably be able to offer and organise a respray.

Argos
Address: Unit 12 Riverside Business Park, St. Annes Road,
St. Annes, Bristol BS4 4ED
Phone number: 0117 9724730
Fax: 0117 9724730
Email: sales@argoscycles.com
Very respected and established, good quality and not as much as an investment as some.

Mercian
Pontefract Street
Ascot Drive
Derby
England
DE24 8JD
Phone number: 01332 752468
Email: (click for form)
Like Argos, Mercian have a respected reputation for producing quality good value finishes.

Enigma Paintworks
13 Apex Park
Diplocks Way
Hailsham
East Sussex
BN27 3JU.
Phone: 01323 845849
Email:info@enigmabikes.com
I used to work there, (sales, bike fitting and custom made to measure geometry designs). Very high quality finishes, their facility is well worth a visit; they have become very impressive on every level. The quality of their frame building and paint shop has evolved to rival the very best in the world; first class.

Fatcreations
38, St Johns Close,
Aldingbourne,
Chichester,
West Sussex,
PO20 3TH
Phone number:07798 733202
Email: fatcreations@hotmail.com
Very high quality finishes
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
puffin

Post by puffin »

Paul Smith SRCC wrote:Steel frames can also rust internally which can go relatively unnoticed; it's not unusual for an older frame to fail not long after a respray from the 'inside out'.

I have a couple of thirty five year old 531 frames, now a bit battered and I have touched up the scratches to protect. During their life I have had both resprayed, although that was driven by removing Cantilever braze on mounts more than it was to freshen the appearance. Being so old I would not respray either again, when I give them a proper service, BB out kind of service, rust tumbles out of it from inside, quite a bit of it to be honest. I still use them for day rides, if they fail then I've ruined a day out but I have replaced them with a newer bike for holidays; mind you even that is fourteen years old now :lol:

My recommendation would be to ride yours and see how you feel after Lejog (that I did on my steel frame that I now use a fixie). You may decide that you have grown attached to your two wheeled loyal friend as it's taken you on that adventure; or you may decide you'd actually prefer something else. If the former then if sure why not treat yourself to a respray; although if it is an older frame referencing my first sentence perhaps not risking investing in one by some of the more expensive painters. Arguably you get what you pay for, with the cheaper painters don't expect perfection, the odd run maybe and more basic designs but perfectly serviceable on bikes that don't enjoy a precious life as far as I'm concerned; I just wanted plain simple colours that hid their scars well and easy to touch up!

In no particular order here are just a few that I know of:

Vaz Cycle Finishes:
25 Mallet Rd,
Hither Green,
London
SE13 6SP
Inexpensive and good value.
Phone number: 020 8852 0711.

Colour Tech:
Industrial Unit at rear at
165 Heath Lane
Dartford
Kent
DA1 2TW
Phone number: 01322 555549
Email: David@Colour-Tech.co.uk
Probably slightly better than Vaz at the more intricate finishes; although I have not used Vaz for a few years, he may be as good now; an example My Bike, a good balance of quality versus pricing.

Dave Yates - 01526 343322 (During office hours only please!)
Ivy House Farm
Hawthorn Hill
Coningsby
Lincolnshire
LN4 4UW.
Email: enquiries@daveyatesframes.co.uk
Not seen their work since Dave left 'M Steel', not sure if he does them in house or if he outsources paintwork, but if you need some work done to the frame then he will probably be able to offer and organise a respray.

Argos
Address: Unit 12 Riverside Business Park, St. Annes Road,
St. Annes, Bristol BS4 4ED
Phone number: 0117 9724730
Fax: 0117 9724730
Email: sales@argoscycles.com
Very respected and established, good quality and not as much as an investment as some.

Mercian
Pontefract Street
Ascot Drive
Derby
England
DE24 8JD
Phone number: 01332 752468
Email: (click for form)
Like Argos, Mercian have a respected reputation for producing quality good value finishes.

Enigma Paintworks
13 Apex Park
Diplocks Way
Hailsham
East Sussex
BN27 3JU.
Phone: 01323 845849
Email:info@enigmabikes.com
I used to work there, (sales, bike fitting and custom made to measure geometry designs). Very high quality finishes, their facility is well worth a visit; they have become very impressive on every level. The quality of their frame building and paint shop has evolved to rival the very best in the world; first class.

Fatcreations
38, St Johns Close,
Aldingbourne,
Chichester,
West Sussex,
PO20 3TH
Phone number:07798 733202
Email: fatcreations@hotmail.com
Very high quality finishes

Paul, huge thanks for the advice and the effort you have made to list companies I could use, many thanks.