Royal Imperial Bikes

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Oldjohnw

Royal Imperial Bikes

Post by Oldjohnw »

This came across my radar the other day. Anyone know about them? The modest price for a steel frame with SA gears

https://www.royal-imperial.co.uk/
John
hamster

Re: Royal Imperial Bikes

Post by hamster »

Lots of chat about being traditional etc. No claims to make in the UK, just a warm fuzzy feeling of cricket and scones.
The frame is mild steel, even basic £99 Tesco bikes have high-tensile steel (still gaspipe but better, if below CroMo). Note that weight is never mentioned - I fear a 45lb-plus monstrosity. The saddle looks like a Brooks, but is artfully photographed to hide the label - but the last letters aren't 'KS' but 'BIRD' and there is no badge on the back.

The prices suggest that they are made in China...or maybe India?
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

One of the customer testimonials on their website says they are made in India.
hamster

Post by hamster »

backnotes wrote:One of the customer testimonials on their website says they are made in India.

Good spot. I kind of lost the will to live.
RobC

Post by RobC »

I think you're being a little unfair. £329 is a very keen price for a practical three speed, even if it is gas pipe.

The target market are not interested in being weight weenies - they want a practical bike that isn't as ugly as what you'd get from halfords and are happy to pay a little more as a premium for something that looks nice.

If they were priced £500+ it would be ludicrous of course, but I think it's a good idea and best of luck to them.
RobC

Post by RobC »

PS the weight is described as 15kg, which is 33lb in old money and a good deal less than a "45lb monstrosity".

Hardly hillclimb bike territory but that's not the purpose - twin hub brakes, 3 speed, and a dynamo: nice and practical.
slowster

Post by slowster »

The returns policy states no retail customers, only business customers, which is a ploy to avoid giving the normal levels of consumer protection that apply to online purchases, despite the website clearly being aimed at retail customers.

No posts on the Twitter and Facebook pages since 2017. It looks like all of the models and sizes are out of stock.

My guess is that the business is dormant, and that if they re-stocked the prices would now be much higher.

If the products were a known quantity (not just the SA hubs, but the frame and complete bike), then it might be worth taking a gamble, but as the saying goes, "There is hardly anything in the world that someone cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price alone are that man's lawful prey".
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

According to this site https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/the-r ... -9.160847/, there was once a "Made in England" Royal Imperial bike.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

When I had a quick look earlier, I thought they were made in England.

A closer look at the top line of the Products page says this:

However you describe our range of traditional classic vintage bicycles, there is something very genuine about riding a hand built, classic English bikes that are crafted to perfection.

Misleading?
pwa

Post by pwa »

For that style of bike, if it said Made in India loud and proud I would respect it and not be put off. Even so, I'd like to pay a bit more and get nicer steel. Basic chromo would float my boat. Mild steel, no.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

It's mentioned they could be made in India. India is full of bikes like this, sold as Hero, Hercules, Atlas, Philips, BSA, but all coming out of one or two factories and identical apart from paint. Even there, they are cycles for the poor; urban dayworkers and small farmers - while the main market has moved to far more modern styling, MTBs, hybrids and road bikes. A new Hercules roadster costs about 4500 rupees and up - call it £45 (though that might be before VAT). https://hercules.in/hercules-roadsters/

Having had a bike with rod brakes when I was about 15 (given me by an elderly neighbour who'd owned since new), I would be reluctant to try one again unless I lived somewhere pan flat.
Sid Aluminium

Post by Sid Aluminium »

"As British as curry."
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I see a lot of cynicism here. I have no interest in this bike but it does seem odd that so much of the cynicism is based on where it might be made. Who here has a bike whose frame is made in the UK?

Having said I have no interest it doesn’t seem to bad to get sturmey archer gears and hub dynamo all for £300. All you might want is a trip to the shops or through the local park on a bike that recalls your youth. What’s so bad about that? You’re not planning a world tour.
John
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Who here has a bike whose frame is made in the UK?
Since you ask, all mine were. :-)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

simonineaston wrote:
Who here has a bike whose frame is made in the UK?
Since you ask, all mine were. :-)

Excellent.

People get what they can afford. Some say, "you should pay more and get better. " Others can get he best money can buy.

Not always possible for many. It is a pity to belittle choices. I have been told "I wouldn't be seen dead on that". I choose for myself, not to please others. Which is not to deny the benefit of asking for advice on pages such as these, or to ignore reviews or the wisdom of experience and expertise.
John