Cycling gear

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
BURROO67

Cycling gear

Post by BURROO67 »

Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help? I'm 5' 6" tall and have real trouble getting cycling tights/trousers to fit me as they all seem to be made for 6 footers!! Does anyone have any idea of any clothing manufacturer who make such items to help me get through winter cycling?

Thanks
eileithyia

Re: Cycling gear

Post by eileithyia »

https://www.tudorsports.co.uk/ I think tudor sport will tailor to fit, my other half is well under 6ft and none of his stuff looks like it was made for 6ft plus.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Maybe just as important is what is your waist?
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I am only 5'7" and to be honest most kit is too long. That's a 30" leg on a 31" waist. Endura, Santini, Polaris off the top of my head.
kangaroo

Post by kangaroo »

I've taken to wearing running tights with cycling shorts underneath- the extra layer's very useful in the cold and you'll get a bit more use from those shorts too tatty to wear otherwise. The current tights were from Decathlon, only identifiable as Kalenji and have useful ankle zips for easier removal. I guess I bought the S or XS size. Regardless of the leg length given on their website, the actual inside leg measures 27" unstretched, to a massive 37" when fully extended (obviously, the girth of the legs plays a part too). There's usually a range of fabrics so it's obviously better if you can see and try before you buy but they're not so expensive (compared with cycling gear) that you might be prepared to take a chance.
BURROO67

Post by BURROO67 »

Many thanks to all of you who took time to respond to my post. Much appreciated.
BURROO67

Post by BURROO67 »

simonhill wrote:Maybe just as important is what is your waist?

waist still around 39" but coming down. Diet and exercise working and have lost a stone in the last 5 weeks.
BURROO67

Post by BURROO67 »

kangaroo wrote:I've taken to wearing running tights with cycling shorts underneath- the extra layer's very useful in the cold and you'll get a bit more use from those shorts too tatty to wear otherwise. The current tights were from Decathlon, only identifiable as Kalenji and have useful ankle zips for easier removal. I guess I bought the S or XS size. Regardless of the leg length given on their website, the actual inside leg measures 27" unstretched, to a massive 37" when fully extended (obviously, the girth of the legs plays a part too). There's usually a range of fabrics so it's obviously better if you can see and try before you buy but they're not so expensive (compared with cycling gear) that you might be prepared to take a chance.

Do you wear padded shorts as well, underneath?
kangaroo

Post by kangaroo »

My previous response didn't take into account your waist size. You would clearly need a bigger size. Nonetheless, searching for cycling specific tights will reduce your options. Shortening the leg length of tights complicated by ankle zips, stirrups or grippers isn't something I'm prepared to do and the padded insert isn't always satisfactory. Not only cyclists wear Lycra these days and there's lots of other sports out there.

What you wear underneath (or on top, for that matter) will surely depend on the amount and type of cycling you do, not to mention how well you get on with your saddle.
BURROO67

Post by BURROO67 »

BURROO67 wrote:
kangaroo wrote:I've taken to wearing running tights with cycling shorts underneath- the extra layer's very useful in the cold and you'll get a bit more use from those shorts too tatty to wear otherwise. The current tights were from Decathlon, only identifiable as Kalenji and have useful ankle zips for easier removal. I guess I bought the S or XS size. Regardless of the leg length given on their website, the actual inside leg measures 27" unstretched, to a massive 37" when fully extended (obviously, the girth of the legs plays a part too). There's usually a range of fabrics so it's obviously better if you can see and try before you buy but they're not so expensive (compared with cycling gear) that you might be prepared to take a chance.

Do you wear padded shorts as well, underneath?

I've got a few pairs of padded shorts for underneath shorts and I could always wear them under running tights if need be, thanks for the advice.
BURROO67

Post by BURROO67 »

Thanks again for the responses guys. I've decided to chance some Decathlon gear to see how I get on size wise.
BURROO67

Post by BURROO67 »

Update on the rain jacket......

I finally got the Decathlon jacket but have to say the sizing is on the small size and I'm not sure if going a size up is the answer. The jacket itself is really good for the money with taped seams, but it is very basic. Think I might need to loosen the old purse strings and splash ot on a more expensive one.

Back to reviews and surfing the web.....but thanks again to those that responded to my question.