Safety camera for commuting, Techalogic DC-1

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
RecumbentRide

Safety camera for commuting, Techalogic DC-1

Post by RecumbentRide »

I'm looking to buy a camera I can easily mount on my cycle helmet (pls no responses about how this is potentially dangerous, I'm a big boy now and happy to take responsibility) and I came across this camera called the Techalogic DC-1.DUAL Lens Camera. Have seen some footage on YT which tbh looks a bit crap but reviews look very positive and YT doesn't always do justice.

I don't thankfully have too many close passes from drivers but enough to make me want to do something about it and since confrontation is not always the best solution I'm seriously thinking of pulling the trigger on this. I would love to hear from fellow cyclists who may have tried this model. The only drawback is it doesn't have IS but it's not going to be mounted on the handlebar so this may not be such an issue.

Love to hear your thoughts.
TrevA

Re: Safety camera for commuting, Techalogic DC-1

Post by TrevA »

I recently bought a front facing ChilliTech Bullet Cam, £44 including the mounting kit for bike and helmet and a spare battery. I’ve been surprised that the battery lasts over 4 hours on a single charge, so I’ve not needed to use the spare battery yet. Footage is ok, the handlebar bracket rattles a bit on rough roads, which affects the footage a bit, but this wouldn’t be an issue if mounted on a helmet. It comes with a sleeve that the camera fits in, which attaches by Velcro to your helmet. 2 sticky backed Velcro strips are supplied.

I previously had a Cycliq Fly 12, but these cost megabucks - £269, and are not worth it, IMO. Mine stopped working after a couple of years, disappointingly. I still have the Fly6 rear camera, which is still going strong after 3 years.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

I have a Cyclic Fly 12 and find it to be excellent. I also have Chili bullet cam and it is awful.

By the way, safety camera is a misnomer. They don't make cycling safer.
Richard M
Cardiff
RecumbentRide

Post by RecumbentRide »

Yea the cyclic seems to be the de facto camera for recording incidents when cycling but is just too expensive for me. Hence why I think the Techalogic DC-1 might be worth giving a go esp with the front & back facing cameras.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Having looked at the Techalogic, it does look quite big, being a combined front and rear camera and I’d be concerned about mounting something that large on my helmet.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
RecumbentRide

Post by RecumbentRide »

I actually think it looks very reasonable. Any helmet cam is also going to look ridicously big when they are mounted on those helmet attachments so I'd be looking for a different way of fitting it.

Techalogic.png

Interesting review here
OntheroadCyclist

Helmets and Cameras-Advice

Post by OntheroadCyclist »

Hi

I am looking at putting a Techalogic DC-1 Cycling Cycle Road Safety 'All in One' DUAL Lens Helmet Camera on my helmet...getting too many close calls, but thinking of putting at side not on top, was thinking of using velcro to keep fastened on , any tips from anyone, has anyone done this
thanks
ClappedOut

Re: Helmets and Cameras-Advice

Post by ClappedOut »

Looks expensive as sub £50 options.
Never heard of the brand
Jdsk

Re: Helmets and Cameras-Advice

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome.

Previous discussion:

"Safety camera for commuting, Techalogic DC-1"
[topics merged by moderator]
Jonathan
mjr

Post by mjr »

Only use mounts approved by your helmet's maker or stated in its manual. Better not to wear one than undermine it.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
RecumbentRide

Post by RecumbentRide »

I will be posting about my experience of the Techalogic DC-1 shortly including mounting options so keep on eye on this thread :D
StevCycles

Post by StevCycles »

How did you get on with the camera?

I'm also considering buying a Techalogic DC-1 for commuting, and thinking of mounting it to my backpack strap on my right shoulder. There seems to be gopro and other accessories for this type of mounting but no idea if it will be any good.
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

On other notes, are there any other recommended cameras?

Also, which police forces accept camera footage and which ones offer feedback?
Oorris

Post by Oorris »

I recently bought a Techalogic dual camera which gives me excellent clarity and good coverage of the road both in ahead and behind. I found that with helmet mounted cameras I needed to position them in just the right place or the extra weight on my head made my neck ache. It took a while to set up so that it captures the same view back and front but I'm happy with it now and I think it's a good deterrent.
I'm inclined to name and shame errant drivers on social media but so far have resisted the temptation.
Recently our local Police were happy to accept my b&w cctv footage of someone trying to steal from my car at night so I guess they'd accept decent colour video if necessary.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Oorris wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 7:25pm I recently bought a Techalogic dual camera which gives me excellent clarity and good coverage of the road both in ahead and behind. I found that with helmet mounted cameras I needed to position them in just the right place or the extra weight on my head made my neck ache. It took a while to set up so that it captures the same view back and front but I'm happy with it now and I think it's a good deterrent.
I'm inclined to name and shame errant drivers on social media but so far have resisted the temptation.
Recently our local Police were happy to accept my b&w cctv footage of someone trying to steal from my car at night so I guess they'd accept decent colour video if necessary.
Does it show number plates OK ?
I am here. Where are you?