Crossing the border

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jdsk

Re: Crossing the border

Post by Jdsk »

Oldjohnw wrote:Captain Brown and his Welsh chain-making company Brown Lenox & Co would play vital part in the development of chain bridge design in the UK. Brown erected a test bridge in 1813, and went on to construct the country's first wrought iron cable chain suspension bridge, Union Bridge (1820), now the world's oldest surviving bridge of its type. Telford's spectacular Menai Suspension Bridge opened in Wales six years later.

It's a very unusual route for technology transfer... eastern Asia to Pennsylvania to Britain. I can't think of anything else like that before the era of electronics.

Jonathan

PS: Do you know the story of Wren putting the chain around the base of the dome of St Paul's? One version of the story has this resulting from him wanting to solve the problem in masonry but losing confidence.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Oldjohnw wrote: 16 Mar 2021, 5:33pm IMG_20210119_180730_098.jpgIMG_20210119_180730_253.jpgIMG_20210119_180730_096.jpg
Paulatic wrote:One border OldJohn, or anyone else for that matter, won’t be crossing is the Union Chain bridge. Closed and not even any decking to sneak over on. A feature o& any Audax ride over there.
True. Almost completely demolished. The oldest and first such bridge in the world.

Norham Bridge (Route 68)is a good crossing place. And there is a route to Foulden (Route 76) where you cross but no country sign.
Just over a year since they closed the union bridge and the diversion signs for cyclists have just appeared - Local Council putting cyclists first as usual. Up until now anyone heading south on NCN1 was having to venture onto a horror road for the final few miles into Berwick.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Union Bridge It’s now fully open again
https://www.itv.com/news/border/2023-04 ... estoration
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Paulatic wrote: 17 Apr 2023, 3:13pm Union Bridge It’s now fully open again
I have been wondering where todays ride should take me - so thats it decided, its years since I have been over that, I will see if they have done a good job.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We drove over the border today.
We drove up to the bottom of Pork Hill onto Dartmoor, to chat with the people at the kennels to see if we could leave our problem Border Collie, Sailor for the day, mid week next week, as we have to go Up North for a wedding at the end of May.

Providing Sailor will be fine there, and they can accommodate him at the end of May, we'll be driving from Cornwall through England to Up North.

How many borders?

Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Avon, Gloucester, Warwickshire, Shropshire, Cheshire, and into North Wales .......... Denbighshire? Flintshire? to Mold.

How many borders crossed?

I was born up there in N Wales, but moved to Wigan, Lancashire when I was two or three.
Mick F. Cornwall
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

Paulatic wrote: 17 Apr 2023, 3:13pm Union Bridge It’s now fully open again
Fantastic! I look forward to going over it this summer.
geomannie
hercule

Post by hercule »

On the BBC footage is it a Peer Gynt LWB recumbent in the last clip?
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Its all very new and shiny, not sure how the wooden kerb will last, be a bit slippy when it turns green

and someone has went into competition with a new red roof