Crossing the border

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
cyclop

Crossing the border

Post by cyclop »

Anybody crossing the England-Scotland border in their daily commute,if so,are there any problems,police presence etc?
Paulatic

Re: Crossing the border

Post by Paulatic »

Car or bike?
I’m just north of the border and looking at the MWay private cars are on the road but not in any great volume. Traffic is all HGV and Vans. Certainly makes it easy for them pulling the drug runners in. A big haul the other day. :D I would expect those commuting have no problem at all the ANPR cameras will not flag them.
Surprisingly there seems to be more police presence out your way ( Dalbeattie IIRC) A friend, retired policeman, went to Loch Arthur shopping last week and they thought they would use the trip as a ride out around the coast. Police everywhere he said :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

The cross border routes such as the A697 / A68 are wonderfully quiet to cycle on (although traffic numbers are increasing) , I'm yet to see a policeman anywhere - do we still have police in Scotland ?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We don't have any problems crossing over into England and back again.
Traffic volumes almost normal.
Mick F. Cornwall
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Thanks for that,I need to pick a bike up from a private address in Otley.From what you,ve said ,I can,t see any issues.Straightforward drive down the M6,junc 37,A65,no stopping,already paid for.May take a spray for the bike.Cheers.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Once you negotiate the barriers and tank traps it is fine....
mjr

Post by mjr »

cyclop wrote:Thanks for that,I need to pick a bike up from a private address in Otley.From what you,ve said ,I can,t see any issues.Straightforward drive down the M6,junc 37,A65,no stopping,already paid for.May take a spray for the bike.Cheers.

Collection of bought goods is allowed. Some argue bicycle rescue/recovery is too, but that's not clear.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Mick F wrote:We don't have any problems crossing over into England and back again.
Traffic volumes almost normal.

Went across the bridge to Yorkshire yesterday afternoon on my tourer. Took a flat hat and a couple of whippets in the panniers so I would blend in.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol:

I rode over the border for a ride round a "foreign country", rode back again, and survived.
Sunny and bright here, and Mrs Mick F has the washing out on the line.

I hadn't been two miles into England and the clouds came over, there were dark clouds and it started to drizzle. I hadn't taken any rain protection but I pressed on bravely. By the time I came back over the border, the sun was still shining.

I'm not going over there again. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

No problems crossing from Northumberland. There were some difficulties last year including some anti-English graffiti on the sign posts.

I just don’t do it (except to get my car serviced last week). This morning I met a Scottish friend in English Tesco. She had travelled a couple of miles.
John
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

One border OldJohn, or anyone else for that matter, won’t be crossing is the Union Chain bridge. Closed and not even any decking to sneak over on. A feature o& any Audax ride over there.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

IMG_20210119_180730_098.jpg
IMG_20210119_180730_253.jpg
IMG_20210119_180730_096.jpg
Paulatic wrote:One border OldJohn, or anyone else for that matter, won’t be crossing is the Union Chain bridge. Closed and not even any decking to sneak over on. A feature o& any Audax ride over there.

True. Almost completely demolished. The oldest and first such bridge in the world.

Norham Bridge (Route 68)is a good crossing place. And there is a route to Foulden (Route 76) where you cross but no country sign.
John
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Oldjohnw wrote:IMG_20210119_180730_098.jpgIMG_20210119_180730_253.jpgIMG_20210119_180730_096.jpg
Paulatic wrote:One border OldJohn, or anyone else for that matter, won’t be crossing is the Union Chain bridge. Closed and not even any decking to sneak over on. A feature o& any Audax ride over there.

True. Almost completely demolished. The oldest and first such bridge in the world.

Norham Bridge (Route 68)is a good crossing place. And there is a route to Foulden (Route 76) where you cross but no country sign.

I ignored the road closed signs and went down there some time ago thinking I will probably get over as a pedestrian, I was quite shocked when half of the road surface had been rmoved, I see now it is all gone.

Hope they get it repaired, crossig there and then back over the Norham bridge is one of my routes.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Thought I would pop up to one of the major border crossings today and see if there was any check-point-charlie like security, there wasnt. The place was wonerfully quiet along with the roads that lead to it, hardly seen any vehicles

Had a look over into Engerland, think they need to get that flag sorted out, get your Boris told you need a new flag.

Had one moment of great amusement, the wonderful silence and distant calling Curlew was rudely interrupted with the arrival of a little car with a stupidly oversized stupidly noisy exhaust, the two numpties emerged leaving their doors wide open presumably so they didn't miss a beat of whatever horrendous wrap music they were listening to. They climbed up on top of the picnic table, done some selfies, deposited some litter, climbed back into their car and in much screeching of tyres and blue smoke they headed back into Scotland. Shocking really, they were within 5 yards of England and they left their litter in Scotland!
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Pebble wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:IMG_20210119_180730_098.jpgIMG_20210119_180730_253.jpgIMG_20210119_180730_096.jpg

I ignored the road closed signs and went down there some time ago thinking I will probably get over as a pedestrian, I was quite shocked when half of the road surface had been rmoved, I see now it is all gone.

Hope they get it repaired, crossig there and then back over the Norham bridge is one of my routes.

It is closed for 57 weeks (from October 2020).
John