Crossing the border

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
peetee

Re: Crossing the border

Post by peetee »

Mick F wrote:We don't have any problems crossing over into England and back again.
Traffic volumes almost normal.

Burn the bridges!
Kernow bys vyken!
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Mick F wrote::lol: :lol:

I rode over the border for a ride round a "foreign country", rode back again, and survived.
Sunny and bright here, and Mrs Mick F has the washing out on the line.

No white sheets I hope. They might think we have surrendered.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Oldjohnw wrote:The oldest and first such bridge in the world.

What's the category in which this was the first?

Thanks

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Jdsk wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:The oldest and first such bridge in the world.

What's the category in which this was the first?

Thanks

Jonathan

Suspension.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Bridge,_Tweed
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Even if rope bridges are excluded there were iron chain suspension bridges in the Himalayas from 1433 or earlier:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_bridge#History

Jonathan
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

mjr wrote:
cyclop wrote:Thanks for that,I need to pick a bike up from a private address in Otley.From what you,ve said ,I can,t see any issues.Straightforward drive down the M6,junc 37,A65,no stopping,already paid for.May take a spray for the bike.Cheers.

Collection of bought goods is allowed. ....

Not totally clear that would be OK given that there are reports of people being given penalties for collecting a car front bumper (or similar) which involved a significant drive. However, a careful look at the legislation in both countries could answer it. The Scottish stuff is reasonably well written, don't know about the English as I don't live there.

- Nigel
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Paulatic wrote:Car or bike?
I’m just north of the border and looking at the MWay private cars are on the road but not in any great volume. Traffic is all HGV and Vans. Certainly makes it easy for them pulling the drug runners in. A big haul the other day. :D I would expect those commuting have no problem at all the ANPR cameras will not flag them.
Surprisingly there seems to be more police presence out your way ( Dalbeattie IIRC) A friend, retired policeman, went to Loch Arthur shopping last week and they thought they would use the trip as a ride out around the coast. Police everywhere he said :lol:

I ride through Kippford and Rockcliffe,two local and popular little coastal villages/hamlets,at least twice a week through the winter and haven,t seen a police car yet.During the first lockdown last year,they seemed to be more visible in these places as well as Kirkudbright,again a popular tourist spot.Maybe the police "do the rounds" and your friend just happened to catch them on their Solway round. :?:
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

cyclop wrote:[.Maybe the police "do the rounds" and your friend just happened to catch them on their Solway round. :?:

He suspects they might have had some operation on as as you say it’s a seldom sight.
Im looking forward to the Rockcliffe - Kippford walk for my first day out.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Jdsk wrote:Even if rope bridges are excluded there were iron chain suspension bridges in the Himalayas from 1433 or earlier:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_bridge#History

Jonathan

But they didn't take vehicles, which is where the Union Bridge was first.

Dryburgh Abbey Bridge, also on the Tweed, is older but pedestrian only.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks.

So it's suspension bridges that take vehicles... chains and what they're made of aren't relevant?

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

As stated earlier, his was the longest suspension bridge at the time and he first to take vehicular transport. It has further significance as it joins two countries and is a hugely important crossing point.

To people round here it is the best bridge ever built.
John
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

You win! It isn’t really that important to me. It’s a nice old bridge being completely demolished then rebuilt.

One of your sources says this:

Captain Brown and his Welsh chain-making company Brown Lenox & Co would play vital part in the development of chain bridge design in the UK. Brown erected a test bridge in 1813, and went on to construct the country's first wrought iron cable chain suspension bridge, Union Bridge (1820), now the world's oldest surviving bridge of its type. Telford's spectacular Menai Suspension Bridge opened in Wales six years later.

You won’t get to see Jacob’s Creek bridge as it was demolished long ago. If you visit the Borderlands in September you will see Captain Brown’s bridge. On the other hand, will it be Captain Brown’s? Perhaps a case of my grandfather’s axe.
John
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Jacob's Creek Bridge Might well be the earliest chain suspension bridge to carry vehicles that can be found by a search engine.
Marks for interest score must be fairly low as it’s not something we are ever going to see or use as it’s no longer there. The Union bridge has and is an integral part of life and cycle rides in our Border lands.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

He suspects they might have had some operation on as as you say it’s a seldom sight.
Im looking forward to the Rockcliffe - Kippford walk for my first day out.[/quote]
Very nice too.