Felixstowe Ferry to Bawdsey

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
KTHSullivan

Felixstowe Ferry to Bawdsey

Post by KTHSullivan »

Any one know if the Felixstowe to Bawdsey ferry still exists/runs/takes bicycles?
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
KTHSullivan

Re: Felixstowe Ferry to Bawdsey

Post by KTHSullivan »

Cheers Jonathan, I have just put the link in my little black book. It is a real shame the ferryman is not called Charon. :lol:
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

The ferry does still run, and does take bikes etc, but the last 2 times I've cycled down there in the past 6 weeks or so it's not been operating - presumably for Covid reasons. Ferry itself was tied to a mooring on the Felixstowe side, and obviously still an operational boat.
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

chris_suffolk wrote:The ferry does still run, and does take bikes etc, but the last 2 times I've cycled down there in the past 6 weeks or so it's not been operating - presumably for Covid reasons. Ferry itself was tied to a mooring on the Felixstowe side, and obviously still an operational boat.

Thanks Chris, it's many years since I have been down that way. I assuming the FBI still serves beer and has not been converted into some swish wine bar. I am trying to organise a cycling camping trip from here and around the Suffolk/Norfolk coast when we can finally get out and about again. Just working on the logistics......namely pub stops. Do you happen to know if the "Sorrel Horse" (Shottisham) still exists? There used to be a really nice campsite not far from the church in the village.

All the best

Kev.
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

KTHSullivan wrote:
Thanks Chris, it's many years since I have been down that way. I assuming the FBI still serves beer and has not been converted into some swish wine bar. I am trying to organise a cycling camping trip from here and around the Suffolk/Norfolk coast when we can finally get out and about again. Just working on the logistics......namely pub stops. Do you happen to know if the "Sorrel Horse" (Shottisham) still exists? There used to be a really nice campsite not far from the church in the village.

All the best

Kev.

There's still the Felixstowe cafe on the one side, and the Cafe at Bawdsey on the other (can't remember its' name). Both closed right now, but that's for Covid, so guess will open as soon as they can. Pub on the Felixstowe side is still there, but no idea when it's open as I've never been in it.

As to Sorrel Horse - can't help - sorry. I live in Framlingham, so it's only an 25 mile run down for me, so don't pay too much attention to places to stay.
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

chris_suffolk wrote:
KTHSullivan wrote:

All the best

Kev.

There's still the Felixstowe cafe on the one side, and the Cafe at Bawdsey on the other (can't remember its' name). Both closed right now, but that's for Covid, so guess will open as soon as they can. Pub on the Felixstowe side is still there, but no idea when it's open as I've never been in it.

As to Sorrel Horse - can't help - sorry. I live in Framlingham, so it's only an 25 mile run down for me, so don't pay too much attention to places to stay.

Again, many thanks Chris, I will put some feelers out into the Cambridge CTC. See if any of the reprobates that used to do the "Adnams" run to Southwold are still about. Most of them used to navigate using the CAMRA guide.

Thanks again.

K
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I was looking for campsites last Sept. The one near the Sorrel Horse was open then, but a bit expensive. I used it years ago and I liked it. Not sure if it is cheaper for bike and tent, but I wanted one person in small campervan. I seem to remember they had got a bit bijou. There is a website - look on G maps and you can get details from that. If weekend, then you may need to book.

The Sorrell Horse was still open when I looked in Sept. It is a community pub so maybe ongoing overheads not as bad as for some. Again, they have a website if you search.

Nice part of the world, enjoy.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

https://www.thesuffolkcoast.co.uk/four-foot-ferries-of-the-suffolk-coast

This should help, I hope.

According to the link the ferry doesn't start until Easter, and then initially only for weekends.

It was certainly running last year and I have no reason to expect it not to run when season and Covid permits.

The Felixstowe/Harwich/Shotley ferry was damaged in winter storms so I don't know when/if it is coming back.
However the current timetable (found in linked site above) seems to indicate the ferry will be running in 2021.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

KTHSullivan wrote:
Again, many thanks Chris, I will put some feelers out into the Cambridge CTC. See if any of the reprobates that used to do the "Adnams" run to Southwold are still about. Most of them used to navigate using the CAMRA guide.

Thanks again.

K

Suffolk CTC should be able to help, everywhere you've described is "rides from Ipswich" territory, so in normal times their typical Sunday runs.

Its some years since I moved from the area, so can't give information on current pubs, campsites, ferry, etc..

- Nigel
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Many thanks to all for the replies:

The first time I discovered the Sorrell Horse it was run by quite an elderly but lovely lady called Daphne who used to keep court in the bar. Beer used to be on stillages, no food other than crisps/nuts, that would have been in the very early 1980's. I called in again a few years later on the sad occasion of her funeral. I was living in Cambridge at the time and I and two or three others occasionally had a thrash to the Suffolk coast and back, Woodbridge or thereabouts being the turning point. Sometimes we would use the ferry between Bawdsey and Felixstowe to take the edge off the return trip and to get North of Ipswich through to Needham Market and Stowmarket from there it was a really good head down to Newmarket South about of Bury St Edmunds.

Happy days and young legs.

Thanks again everyone.
nez

Post by nez »

Of course you could get the other ferry from Felixstowe to Harwich then you can add another county to your tour
Will

Post by Will »

LittleGreyCat wrote: 20 Mar 2021, 6:17pm The Felixstowe/Harwich/Shotley ferry was damaged in winter storms so I don't know when/if it is coming back.
However the current timetable (found in linked site above) seems to indicate the ferry will be running in 2021.
There was a report on the BBC New website about month ago that said the ferry had been repaired: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-56525845

Will
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

KTHSullivan wrote: 20 Mar 2021, 4:32pm
chris_suffolk wrote:
KTHSullivan wrote:

All the best

Kev.

Thanks again.

K
The CAMRA guide is the best way - makes for interesting routes.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.