Eco Clothing

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
iandusud

Eco Clothing

Post by iandusud »

My wife and I have been making efforts over the years to be more eco friendly. I'm currently thinking about our clothing, in particular cycling wear. On a day to day basis I wear natural fibres next to my skin (mainly cotton) which resist odours and don't deposit micro-plastics when washed. However for cycling I generally wear synthetic clothes, usually a base layer plus extra layers depending on the season. I wish to move away from this as they need very frequent washing with all that implies for the environment. I do have a couple of merino wool base layers, one short sleeve, one long, which I bought from Aldi last year and they are excellent. They resist odours so don't need such frequent washing and look smart as off the bike wear too. I also use merino wool socks which are also excellent. I would therefore be interested in other's experience of merino wool clothing including underwear, and in particular what brands you are using. I am very cost conscious and am aware that some brands are very expensive so am interested in good value for money, which I appreciate isn't always the cheapest. I've been looking at some of the merino clothing on Sportpursuit.com which seems reasonably priced. They have both 100% wool and mixed fibre products. Anyone have experience of their stuff?

Cheers, Ian
Paulatic

Re: Eco Clothing

Post by Paulatic »

I started making the move, with similar concerns, to merino a few years ago. I sleep in it and live through the day in it.
I like my Dilling stuff and I’ve also some Findra, bought as seconds, which are good.
Have been wearing for cycling charity shop bought John Lewis and M&S merino jumpers for £4:50 they’ve been excellent value. Mrs P has nicked them recently so will replace with a Dilling 1/4 zip top.
I still have some man made fibre cycling tops, they’re hard to wear out, but only consider wearing one if I needed rear pockets.
I’ve also not worn padded cycle shorts for a couple of years and seek out seamless short style underwear. Last year I bought two pairs of merino and after around 6 months two holes, corresponding to my bones on the saddle, appeared. I’m back to a breathable polyester/ lycra type underwear.
On recommendation from my local outdoor shop I bought a merino/ mix top with all it’s supposed qualities. It is my least favourite and now least worn top. It’s not as warm and smells within days.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

weeelll - whats wrong with "normal" clothing?

For cycling and walking I wear normal M & S or Craghoppers Kiwi cotton clothing which lasts a loooong time (I'm wearing Kiwi shirts that have had weekly use for 5 years and more)

The only exceptions are waterproofs which I make last a looong time, and in winter microfibre under the waterproofs (as these wear out they will be replaced by cotton/linen tops). With the inner layers they don't need washing very frequently, this is further reduced by mudguards so my gear doesn't need cleaning every time I go out.

All these items are available in various sales
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
slowster

Post by slowster »

rmurphy195 wrote:weeelll - whats wrong with "normal" clothing?

For cycling and walking I wear normal M & S or Craghoppers Kiwi cotton clothing

Craghoppers Kiwi fabrics are typically 65% polyester.

As for whether merino/synthetic fibre mixes are good/suitable, I think the answer is 'it depends'. I think most good quality wool socks contain a large percentage of nylon, which is necessary to strengthen the fabric, and without which I think they would not last as long. Similarly some manufacturers, e.g. Brynje, use merino wool with a small percentage of nylon in their baselayers to increase the durability of the fabric.

There is also 'Sportwool', a brand of merino/synthetic mix fabric containing comparatively only a very small percentage of wool, which is used by a number of manufacturers of cycling/outdoor clothing, and which is supposed to provide the best of both worlds. I bought a Howies baselayer made of Sportwool many years ago on the basis of very positive reviews in an MTB magazine, and my experience was that it was a very poor baselayer. The fabric had very little stretch and so did not hug the body and stay touching the skin. Consequently it was poor at wicking and insulating. It itched slightly, unlike any other merino garment I've had, and it felt cold/damp when it had absorbed sweat, again unlike any other merino garment I've had.

As regards the issue of pollution from plastic micro particles, I have not seen any expert comment on whether all synthetics are equally bad in this respect. Realistically I doubt whether it would be practical to eliminate the use of nylon in wool socks for example. If complete elimination at source is impossible (i.e. there will always be a significant use of synthetic clothing for the foreseeable future) it might be that the focus needs to be on a better technological solution rather than hoping that everyone will stop wearing synthetic clothing, or buying new synthetic garments.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

rmurphy195 wrote:weeelll - whats wrong with "normal" clothing?

For cycling and walking I wear normal M & S or Craghoppers Kiwi cotton clothing which lasts a loooong time (I'm wearing Kiwi shirts that have had weekly use for 5 years and more)

For me I wear cotton for everyday use including my cycling commute which is 15-20 mins each way, where I don't have time to work up a big sweat. However for my longer rides cotton will soon get soaked with sweat going up the hills with the consequent chilling going down the other side (most of my cycling is in the Yorkshire Dales so it's very up and down).
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Paulatic wrote:I started making the move, with similar concerns, to merino a few years ago. I sleep in it and live through the day in it.
I like my Dilling stuff and I’ve also some Findra, bought as seconds, which are good.
Have been wearing for cycling charity shop bought John Lewis and M&S merino jumpers for £4:50 they’ve been excellent value. Mrs P has nicked them recently so will replace with a Dilling 1/4 zip top.
I still have some man made fibre cycling tops, they’re hard to wear out, but only consider wearing one if I needed rear pockets.
I’ve also not worn padded cycle shorts for a couple of years and seek out seamless short style underwear. Last year I bought two pairs of merino and after around 6 months two holes, corresponding to my bones on the saddle, appeared. I’m back to a breathable polyester/ lycra type underwear.
On recommendation from my local outdoor shop I bought a merino/ mix top with all it’s supposed qualities. It is my least favourite and now least worn top. It’s not as warm and smells within days.

I've not come across Dilling so will look them up. Totally agree about charity shops but they haven't been open for some time sadly (I've got a lovely M&S merino wool jumper that I picked up in Alnwick a couple of summers ago whilst tandeming around Northumberland). Out of interest what shorts do yo cycle in and what underwear are you using?
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

slowster wrote:
As regards the issue of pollution from plastic micro particles, I have not seen any expert comment on whether all synthetics are equally bad in this respect. Realistically I doubt whether it would be practical to eliminate the use of nylon in wool socks for example. If complete elimination at source is impossible (i.e. there will always be a significant use of synthetic clothing for the foreseeable future) it might be that the focus needs to be on a better technological solution rather than hoping that everyone will stop wearing synthetic clothing, or buying new synthetic garments.

There's an interesting article here: https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/202 ... bullet-yet

Personally I would like to move away from synthetics as much as possible. I'm happy to accept a certain amount of synthetic in socks for example if it means that they last longer. I believe this a pragmatic approach. But on the whole if natural fibres are available that do the job well then I think this is preferable.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

iandusud wrote:Out of interest what shorts do yo cycle in and what underwear are you using?

For cycling I’ve been wearing these since last year. Under Decathalon running tights or their running shorts.
They are all so much smaller/ lighter to tour with than bulky padded cycling shorts.

E2E info
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

With merino, do check that garments haven't been produced using a practice called 'mulesing', I suggest. It's the antithesis of 'eco-friendly', involving animal cruelty IMHO.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Bonefishblues wrote:With merino, do check that garments haven't been produced using a practice called 'mulesing', I suggest. It's the antithesis of 'eco-friendly', involving animal cruelty IMHO.

I'm aware of this but thank you for pointing it out. I've been looking at Dilling's offerings and am very impressed with their eco credentials, including non-mulesing
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

iandusud wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:With merino, do check that garments haven't been produced using a practice called 'mulesing', I suggest. It's the antithesis of 'eco-friendly', involving animal cruelty IMHO.

I'm aware of this but thank you for pointing it out. I've been looking at Dilling's offerings and am very impressed with their eco credentials, including non-mulesing

You're welcome - it strikes me as deeply inhumane to intensively breed an animal in the way that merino sheep have been and then claim that their subsequent mutilation because of the effects of said breeding is an act of compassion.
bongo

Post by bongo »

Interesting thread, I wear a real mixture of clothing, nothing fancy. I'd like to wear more natural stuff, both for eco reasons but also my skin is sensitive. Decathlon has a whole range of eco design/fabric stuff, though not sure how eco they are. I generally like their clothing and it is reasonably priced. Merino based socks are definitely the way though for me. Findra is fairly near me, I'm just waiting for them to re-open and have a sale on (don't generally buy expensive kit). I can get away with cotton top base layer in summer (Scotland) as I don't sweat terribly and it never gets tropical up here. I have an M&S 'outlet' shop nearby, the thin merino 1/4 zip tops are nice and not too expensive, I wear mine snug fit.
I've always struggled with the underwear issue, chafing and pinching etc (I find Separatec undies the best, but not perfect, man-made though) paulatic - those running shorts link you giveb- never tried anything like that - do they actually support and keep the privates in place/out of the way in addition to being non-chafing if worn as riding underwear?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

iandusud wrote:I've been looking at Dilling's offerings and am very impressed with their eco credentials, including non-mulesing

Sizing is good and delivery has always been good. You’ll get the new customer discount and they have occasional 20% off days. Also watch out for discontinued lines/ colours I’ve had some great bargains in that.

bongo wrote:do they actually support and keep the privates in place/out of the way in addition to being non-chafing if worn as riding underwear?

I only wear them for cycling they certainly hold you in place and I like the broad high waistband. No chafing at all but only tested in up to 50 ml rides last year. No big rides due to lack of cafes :|

E2E info
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

I suspect that how long clothes last may well have more of an influence on overall environmental impact than the production.

We also know that cotton and wool have very significant environmental impacts.

So it may well be that synthetic cycling gear, which IMO is incredibly hard wearing, is actually a rather good environmental option.

Would be interested if anyone is aware of definitive research in the area.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

+1 I was thinking this as I read all the above posts. It needs a full cost benefit analysis to support or blow the concept.

I am always sceptical when I see the 'eco' tag on anything. In the tourist world it has become a standard add on - eco tour; eco hotel; eco etc. They rarely are.

I am a fan of the charity shop. We have a lot round our way and no full price men's shops (only need to travel 5 miles for larger town centre if needed). I am a smallish medium and find lots of stuff in good condition that fits me, some of it appears new. I suspect a lot of believed mediums buy and then find they are large.

Interestingly, I just read that 10% of the micro plastics in the sea are from 'rubber' tyres - let he who is without sin cast the first stone.