Eco Clothing

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Paulatic

Re: Eco Clothing

Post by Paulatic »

Oldjohnw wrote:We use these for what man made stuff we have:

https://andkeep.com/products/earthkind- ... aundry-bag

How do you then deal with the microfibres caught in the bag?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
PH

Post by PH »

Paulatic wrote:
PH wrote:they didn't mention any flooding!

That’s it though The current filter has to allow water through fairly freely as whilst it’s not under pressure it is a significant delivery.
A filter that would stop all sure would also be restrictive to water flow. Maybe more could be done at the the sewage farm?

I don't have the expertise to discuss this further, your unattributed quote says
a sizeable proportion of the microfibres were still eluding the filtration systems

I don't know what a sizable proportion is? I know they catch and retain some plastics that would otherwise go into the waste water system, I've seen that. My suggestion was that the OP might consider one, it's a shame they're not perfect, I don't know anything that is.
CathM

Post by CathM »

I've never found mothballs or other objects placed with woollens to be effective; unfortunately (for me, at least, a lazy housekeeper if ever there was one) "good housekeeping" is the main weapon against clothes moths. They like to be undisturbed, which is why your "kept for best" jumpers tend to go first, and prefer soiled clothes to clean:

https://www.buildingconservation.com/ar ... -moths.htm

I've several Icebreaker merino tops, bought from sale-rails over the years, and while expensive they've lasted for many years (a couple that I bought in 2004 and have worn regularly are still wearable). I cut up the shabbiest to patch the others when they develop holes, usually at the back where they're tucked into shorts, and have prolonged their life that way - they're not for show, but as underneath layers they've years of wear left in them. I learned about mulseing relatively recently, and will be doing my best to avoid it in future - although like others here I'm trying to avoid buying anything new at all.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Paulatic wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:We use these for what man made stuff we have:

https://andkeep.com/products/earthkind- ... aundry-bag

How do you then deal with the microfibres caught in the bag?

They go out with the bins. At least they don’t go directly through the water system. Unsatisfactory, I know, but we only do this a couple of times a year.
John
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Oldjohnw wrote:[

They go out with the bins. At least they don’t go directly through the water system. Unsatisfactory, I know, but we only do this a couple of times a year.

Twice a year so when you empty does it look similar to dust when dry or a wet sludge in the bag? Stops the fish eating it. :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Reduce -- only buy what you really need.
Repair -- stitch, darn, replace broken zips, etc.
Reuse -- for the same purpose or another.
Recycle -- last resort but the end of all items.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

And of course support reuse: buy secondhand, ideally from charity shops.
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

roberts8 wrote:Interesting post as I was thinking of moving to natural fibres. I did have had a couple of merino jumpers and socks which were munched by moth. Do you keep merino in the freezer or use plastic bags and moth balls?
Also, is bamboo another option?

I've never had a moth problem with any of my wool or merino clothing and I don't take any precautions, maybe I've just been lucky. I do use some wooden balls and acorns I got years ago (in Germany I think), when they stop smelling I buy some essential oils and soak them in it, then just scatter them around the wardrobe.
I do have some bamboo clothing, mainly for running but that is an equally sweaty sport, and wear them cycling. My bamboo legging are quite heavy, I do like them and wear them in winter but bamboo tends to soak up moisture and is equally as bad as cotton in that way, which is why I wear it in winter (warmer, sweat less). Bamboo isn't supposed to smell as much and be antibacterial, and I do wear my leggings a few times before I put them in the washing, but this is also because husband (who is in charge of the washing) hates them as they take so long to dry and need to be treated carefully. However, it is very nice to wear, very soft.
Tencel is good, and it's being added to sportswear now, Hemp is more linen like and doesn't have any stretch.
As far as I can see the disadvantages of most 'eco' fabrics is that they soak up sweat like cotton. And, of course there are always issues with processing of raw materials into fabric and how damaging these are.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Clothing that had minimal environmental impact would be made from natural plant fibres which have been grown and processed at least within the same country to minimise transport.
I am not sure that there is much that fits this bill yet, hemp and flax could be contenders for the future
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Linen (ie flax fibre) was traditionally used for things like underwear, wasn't it? I don't suppose any of us remember the pre-nylon era but the very youngest of us may well live into the post-synthetics era (due to ending of petroleum supplies*). Would a mixture of linen and merino be a good replacement for the merino-polyester mixes currently used, with the linen adding strength and moth-resistance? I'm not familiar with the properties of linen but by and large it seems that plant fibres are tougher than animal fibres.

*As distinct from reserves.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

VinceLedge wrote:Clothing that had minimal environmental impact would be made from natural plant fibres which have been grown and processed at least within the same country to minimise transport.
I am not sure that there is much that fits this bill yet, hemp and flax could be contenders for the future

Whilst I wouldn't argue with the above I would describe myself as a pragmatic ecologist :D What I mean by that is I try to live a lifestyle that minimizes my environmental impact whilst at the same time allowing me to enjoy healthy practices. For example I enjoy food, including meat, but I'm aware of the environmental impact of meat production so we are eating less meat now and regularly buy from local farm shops where the beef for example is grass fed. We also cycle to and from the shops. Getting back to the subject of clothes and in particular for cycling, I have found the use of wicking base layers of great benefit since I started wearing them over 30 years ago. So I wouldn't want to abandon them for cotton for example but merino wool is a much better alternative for all the reasons in my original post. And on the advice given here I looked at Dilling and I am very impressed with their ecological approach to their clothing production and I would happily pay more to buy a product from them knowing that it has ethically and sustainably produced than from someone who can't guarantee the same. Of course I totally agree with many of the comments above re repair, reuse etc (I have cycling clothing in regular use that is over 30 years old).
LuckyLuke

Post by LuckyLuke »

Hi, I'm a big fan of merino, my favorite clothing material. I've brought from the following companies over the years:

Uniglo: ?Japanese chain store. I brought about 6 long sleeve crew neck and V neck T shirts from them 5-6 yrs ago. They're not cycling specific but I've worn them on casual day rides, tours and for my office job. I used to have a 60-70 min commute with no changing facilities and they were perfect except on hot sunny days. Really good value too, £25-30 each IIRC. Still going strong, one or two needed repair for wear and tear.

Howies: I had 3 of their Merino polo shirts. Used to live in them in the summer, great for my summer work commute. Or I'd layer with a Uniglo V neck on top. Great fit, I loved these! My local market tailor patched them up a few times but they finally died after ?10 yrs. Relatively expensive I recall, but they sometimes have sales.
I have 4 of their Merino T shirts, some are 10-15 years old, all are a bit worse for wear and have needed repairs, restitching under the armpits, holes patched or sewn up. Still going though.
I tried their Merino boxers and long John's. Comfy but expensive and short lived. The merino was thin and wore holes quickly. They attracted moths like, er, moths to a flame.

Vulpine: I have a cycling specific long sleeved merino top. It's well cut and comfortable. But the merino is thin and mine tore easily a couple of times. I find it too thin and chilly for a spring / autumn outer layer. I wear it under a very breat athable Gore Tex jacket in the winter.
I also have one of their polo shirts. Looks nice but again, thin merino that was torn easily.

Icebreaker: I've a couple of baselayers brought last year. Their website has a dizzyingly range. The two I brought are both closer fitting than usual for me so I don't wear them for work. One is actually too warm for cycling but the other is a joy. Supremely comfortable and a great fit. Buying online is a bit of a gamble eh.
They were expensive I recall, but Icebreaker had a 20% discount for first time customers.

Best wishes,

Luke
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

On the broader consideration regarding woollen products: I still have my father's WW2 demob wool blanket. It is now over 75 years old and I still regularly use it when car camping.
John
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Merino base layers, I have some from Icebreaker, Alpkit, Endura, Trekmates, and another brand I can't remember. Hmm, that's quite a lot of merino. :roll: My favourite are the Icebreaker and Alpkit, I like the fit (for me) and they are well made. Endura is also good, perhaps not quite as well made as Alpkit or Icebreaker. Trekmates is much thicker, too warm for cycling but good for keeping warm on camping nights for instance or as general winter wear.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Paulatic wrote:I started making the move, with similar concerns, to merino a few years ago.

I may be wrong, but I've got the idea that you are in the sheep business, in some way, yes? As my father was, in fact, for a while.

I've heard some rather unpleasant things about Merino sheep treatment, "mulesing", is it called?

Do you know if:

1. It's as cruel as it is portrayed.

2. There is any mulesing-free merino cycle clothing available.