Vintage bike help

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
SomeBen

Vintage bike help

Post by SomeBen »

I was gifted a mid-late 70's Falcon Mirage from a very kind friend but have no knowledge of the tech from the day. I'm hoping to service or replace the bottom bracket and headset but need some help identifying them and the right tools for the job. Would anyone be kind enough to guide me through it?

I'd also like to change the wheels, cassette and chainring. Any advice regarding what might prevent me from doing so?

I've taken some pictures for everyone to enjoy!
Attachments
PXL_20210324_081909065~2.jpg
PXL_20210324_082726444~3.jpg
PXL_20210324_081832069~2.jpg
PXL_20210324_081354770~3.jpg
PXL_20210324_081807778._exported_33_1616579850614.jpg
peetee

Re: Vintage bike help

Post by peetee »

A photo of the bike from the other side will help with a more accurate ID of the crankset and advice on a suitable bracket.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

I don't wish to be unkind, but what do you want to achieve? It will never be a classic bike.
To service headset and BB, see Sheldon Brown's website. Its an inch threaded headset and a loose cup and ball BB.
Measure the distance between the rear dropouts. The narrowest modern rear hubs are 130mm; you can "spring" then into 126mm frames.
700c wheels will need the brake pads dropping by about 4mm as I remember.
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

531colin wrote:I don't wish to be unkind, but what do you want to achieve? It will never be a classic bike.
To service headset and BB, see Sheldon Brown's website. Its an inch threaded headset and a loose cup and ball BB.
Measure the distance between the rear dropouts. The narrowest modern rear hubs are 130mm; you can "spring" then into 126mm frames.
700c wheels will need the brake pads dropping by about 4mm as I remember.

I would second that question, What do you want to achieve?". It would be quite possible & quite simple to refurbish but cost could start to mount quite quickly. New wheels, tyres & tubes could easily cost you north of £150-200+ and then there is cabling, cassette, chain (assuming they are worn) and brake blocks. If/when all that is done, the bike will just be what it was, a fairly ordinary 1970's bike.

If it were mine and I wanted it just for riding I would really try to keep costs down by going to a local bike recycling charity and scrounging/buying appropriate second hand bits. They could also help with advice.

Alternatively, it might be with the headset, BB & hubs lubed, a good clean and possibly new tyres/cables, the bike is a goer as is? It just depends how much it was previously ridden. That would be where I would start.
geomannie
SomeBen

Post by SomeBen »

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. The previous owner was an elderly gent but not sure how often he used it. I was probably a little too vague in giving details about it's intended use. I'd like to get it up and running and go from there. Think my first job is servicing the bottom bracket and headset (hopefully some pictures from the other side might help). I haven't checked the rear spacing yet but was hoping to squeeze a 700c size wheel in there and add a cassette while keeping the downtube shifters. It's a bit up in the air at the moment but only reason for doing so is trying to find replacement parts later on.
Attachments
PXL_20210324_081955612~2.jpg
PXL_20210324_082430960~2.jpg
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'd suggest that the main thing to understand is that the bike was made just before some fundamental changes to almost every area of a bike. Once you start replacing things, each change is likely to trigger more. Parts that fit as it is, if available, will either be cheapo or arm-and-a-leg hard-to-find new old stock. If you are unclear about how to do things then there are sources of advice like asking on here, youtube, or Sheldon Brown already recommended. If you have to go to a bike shop, they are likely to advise you not to bother or labour will add to your bill.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

The BB service will need the cranks removing of course, undo the lockring and possibly a pin spanner to undo the adjustable cup, leave the rh cup in situ. clean components, regrease and reassemble - looking at the rest of the bike i doubt it really needs it but it won't hurt.

For the headset, remove the stem (undo the ak bolt at the top, you might need to tap the bolt to release the wedge). Once that's done you can disassemble the bearings and drop the fork out - make sure you note the order of any spacers. Like the BB, the bike looks in fair fettle so clean and regrease should be all you need before reassembly.

For both jobs there are how to vids on you tube or go old school with the Haynes manual. Neither job is difficult - these were the first jobs i learnt to do as a '70's teen.

Replacement wheels, whilst not strictly neccessary from what i can see, would be a sound idea on performance grounds, better braking, lighter and more tyre choice - i'd change the tyres at the very least as they are starting to perish, mid range 700c wheels will set you back @ a hundred notes new plus consumables. There is plenty of drop on your calipers to work with and the skinny rear triangle should spring to 130 quite readily - i used to switch between 27" and 700c sprints pretty much weekly in my youth. If the d/t levers are friction you should be able to run whatever you like on the back but i'd stick to 7 or 8 speed which the rd should manage okay.

good luck with it
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The tyre size is clear in one pic = 27 x 1¼ so 700C means new wheels and so on. (Just making that clear to the OP)
Chris56

Post by Chris56 »

Thats a really tidy looking bike - looks like its been well-cared for so id be surprised if the BB and headset need more than a strip, clean and regrease.

RE the drivetrain and wheels only you can decide whether it will be worth the expense. There is suprisingly good availability of 27" tyres on ebay, including Schwalbe Marathons, so id be tempted to give it a service, change the tyres and enjoy it for what it is
SomeBen

Post by SomeBen »

Some really helpful stuff thanks everyone. I'm hoping to do some research later in the morning to understand how to service the headset and bottom bracket and order any tools that might be needed. Hopefully be able to make a start on it next week. It's nice to think only wheels need replacing to get out riding. Surely worth a few hours and quid spent to make it happen!
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I would grease the headset and BB, check tyres for splits and brake blocks to see if they work and leave it. Ride it for a bit then decide what to do. Nice enough but realistcally if you spend a 100 quid on it you have a bike worth that. I would be making any modicfications only when I have the parts for peanuts. Work o the idea that you just keeep an eye open for wheels and if you find a pair for 25 quid in a charity out let then it's worth while. I have scrounged several sets of wheels from the scrap man as he does his rounds. A fiver in his hand is more than they weigh in at.
martin biggs

Post by martin biggs »

After servicing the headset and bottom bracket the next best up grade would be to replace the steel rims with some alloy one's along with brake pads , cables oh and don't forget to give the wheel bearings a service as well
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm not clear why you feel the headset and BB need servicing. What are the symptoms you want to tackle? As has been pointed out, the bike looks quite tidy, as though the previous owner looked after it. The perishing of the tyres is simply the effect of long-term storage.

If you do decide to press on with them, the bottom bracket would mean a crank extractor to suit those cranks and then some form of lock ring spanner a fixed cup spanner and adjustable cup spanner to fit what you are removing, then the equivalent tools to fit whatever you use as a replacement which might be a complete unit rather than what's in now. (If searching on line, it might be wrench instead of spanner and puller for extractor.)

The point is that these are workshop tools which tend to be very specific to the manufacturer of what you are removing and fitting. Replacing the headset would be the same but with more workshop tools

I'm trying to say you would be tackling the bigger jobs first which might well be unnecessary,. Unless you know for sure that something doesn't work, then I'd say you need some new rear brake shoes and tyres size 27 x 1¼. No longer a universal size but still available. Almost certainly a pair of innertubes. Then, ride it and see what's what. I presume that's 5 or 6 speed and if there are problems like the chain jumping, you would have to replace the chain and freewheel. Both possible without spending silly money.

The frame looks tidy for its type but it's not worth spending big money on modernising everything. If you did get it running ok, then the wheels might be candidates for replacing with 700C, but the width of the rear end - OLN is the search term - could be the issue.

Non of these things is unsurmountable if money is available, but the fact that you have to ask suggests you don't really get what's involved.
Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

I'd say it's an interesting project.
I service bottom brackets with a hammer, drift and adjustable spanner. Difficulty is getting the crank arms off but these tools are inexpensive off eBay.
That bike will last for years with good maintenance.
If you do one upgrade alloy rims would be what I'd do. Lighter, better braking etc. 27" rims tyres etc all still available, my pal uses them on his touring bike.
SomeBen

Post by SomeBen »

Thanks for the advice. I hadn't considered costs before but have been thinking it over as suggested. Servicing would only be done to offer a piece of mind. I've checked the rear spacing and it is 120mm with 5 speed gears. Think you're right so going to have a look for some wheels and brake shoes before making any significant changes.