Used or New - Not sure which bike to buy?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
londoncyclist007

Re: Used or New - Not sure which bike to buy?

Post by londoncyclist007 »

Before i posted this thread i did search and a lot of them are out of stock, so am unsure what to do

chris_suffolk wrote:Quick search of shops in London selling secondhand, and none of them have any stock - so that tells you something.

Find a bike you like, at a price you can afford, and buy it as they won't be there long.

I suspect that your budget of up to £500 is a particularly popular price point, and bikes at that level will get snapped up quickly.

Good luck
londoncyclist007

Thanks i will check our ebay for used bikes from independent bike shops

Jamesh wrote:I'd take the Carrera bike out of the two shown above.

Cheap steel bikes are really heavy and dead feel to them.

Argos do the cross hybrid which has an Alu frame at a cheap price.

There are some discount bike ships on eBay one in winchester and another in Halifax who might have something suitable.

Cheers James
londoncyclist007

I have not considered fixies as i thought you cant coast with them

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Jupestar wrote:If its just London riding, have you considered single speed. Especially if you plan to use the bike racks in and around town, no better way to get a bent hanger/RD than a London bike rack!

Fixed is best and safest, simplest and cheapest, a low fixed gear. And hand brakes too, although one might never use them

A second-hand cycle from a shop seems a good idea, just do not let them persuade you to have lots of gears
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jupestar wrote:If its just London riding, have you considered single speed. Especially if you plan to use the bike racks in and around town, no better way to get a bent hanger/RD than a London bike rack!

londoncyclist007 wrote:I really don't know about single speed, can they go up hills ok, and i read somewhere that you cant coast with them and have to keep peddling? that sounds tiring lol

There's fixed where you have to keep pedalling and there's single speed with freewheel where you don't.

Jonathan
londoncyclist007

Sorry was at work, just responding now
chris_suffolk wrote:Hope not, but could be another 'single poster' never to be seen again. Not been back since 11:00 yesterday, shortly after signing up. Hope they are back as some good advice here.
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

londoncyclist007 wrote:I really don't know about single speed, can they go up hills ok, and i read somewhere that you cant coast with them and have to keep peddling? that sounds tiring lol

Single speed is different to fixed. They both only have one gear, but on a single speed you can freewheel, and don't have to keep peddaling. If there aren't many, and not steep, hills, then they can be a good choice. Little to go wrong or get damaged, and often built a little stronger too.
londoncyclist007

i found this bike shop local to me that deliver but no sure if these are suitable for daily london commuting?

https://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/ready- ... geNumber=1

chris_suffolk wrote:

Single speed is different to fixed. They both only have one gear, but on a single speed you can freewheel, and don't have to keep peddaling. If there aren't many, and not steep, hills, then they can be a good choice. Little to go wrong or get damaged, and often built a little stronger too.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Please could you add your comments below the quoted text to which you're replying... it's a bit hard to follow the discussion with them above.

Thanks

Jonathan
londoncyclist007

Jdsk wrote:Please could you add your comments below the quoted text to which you're replying... it's a bit hard to follow the discussion with them above.

Thanks

Jonathan

ok
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

londoncyclist007 wrote:i found this bike shop local to me that deliver but no sure if these are suitable for daily london commuting?

In my opinion I'd say it would be ok. But single speed is only really suitable if you have a pretty flat ride. If that's the case, then try and arrange a test ride. May be tricky in current climate, but ask and see what they say.
londoncyclist007

chris_suffolk wrote:
londoncyclist007 wrote:i found this bike shop local to me that deliver but no sure if these are suitable for daily london commuting?

In my opinion I'd say it would be ok. But single speed is only really suitable if you have a pretty flat ride. If that's the case, then try and arrange a test ride. May be tricky in current climate, but ask and see what they say.

there are plenty of hills on my commute so i think i will forget about single speed, but not sure if a road bike or hybrid will be better as i sometimes find road bikes hard to control?
londoncyclist007

chris_suffolk wrote:

I have also seen the following used bike websites

https://www.bikesoup.com/marketplace

https://secondhandbikes.co.uk/mens-bikes/

They seem to be much better quality and descriptions than gumtree....

Has anyone bought from these 2 websites?

Thanks
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

Have you checked the for sale part of this Forum for used bikes? .

I’ve seen some really good quality bikes come up on there.
londoncyclist007

Jupestar wrote:Have you checked the for sale part of this Forum for used bikes? .

I’ve seen some really good quality bikes come up on there.

I will check it now
hamster

Post by hamster »

Depends on whether it's singlespeed or fixed. A fixed bike nas no freewheel, a singlespeed does and can coast downhill.