Used or New - Not sure which bike to buy?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
londoncyclist007

Used or New - Not sure which bike to buy?

Post by londoncyclist007 »

Hi everyone

I am just getting back to cycling and looking to get fit after COVID due to gaining a few pounds :-)

I will be commuting 6 miles round trip daily in London and my budget is £200-500. I prefer a hybrid and like a comfortable ride, but don't mind a road bike with drop bars. Shall i .....

1) Buy a New bike that has warranty from decathlon, Halfords etc
2) Buy a used bike from gumtree ebay etc might be better quality parts etc from a name brand

I have found the following 2 bikes online

https://www.evanscycles.com/brand/coyot ... ike-933060

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/hybr...k ... 46198.html

Can someone give me some advice? Especially if i go down the used route, how to make sure i am not buying a stolen rusty bike as i am not an expert, maybe link me to checklist of what to look form when meeting up with the gumtree seller? Any brands, quality to look for etc

Hope someone can help

Cheers
londoncylist007
hamster

Re: Used or New - Not sure which bike to buy?

Post by hamster »

It's a dilemma isn't it?

If you aren't confident buying secondhand then don't. However a third way is worth consideirng - secondhand from a bike shop. That way it will have been inspected and be fully roadworthy, and you have some comeback against the seller too.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome.

Do you intend to service it yourself?

Jonathan
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

It may well be a case of what you can get, rather than what you want.

There are 2 posts on here at the moment that may interest you. One on poor quality of Halford's workmanship and the other on shortage of new bikes due to Covid and transport problems.

Unfortunately availablity will only get worse as summer approaches.

For you, new sounds a good idea, but grab whatever quickly. I reckon a budget hybrid would be a good interim choice.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=144165

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=144576
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I saw in an email today that Decathlon are doing second hand bikes.
John
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

If its just London riding, have you considered single speed. Especially if you plan to use the bike racks in and around town, no better way to get a bent hanger/RD than a London bike rack!
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

Quick search of shops in London selling secondhand, and none of them have any stock - so that tells you something.

Find a bike you like, at a price you can afford, and buy it as they won't be there long.

I suspect that your budget of up to £500 is a particularly popular price point, and bikes at that level will get snapped up quickly.

Good luck
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I'd take the Carrera bike out of the two shown above.

Cheap steel bikes are really heavy and dead feel to them.

Argos do the cross hybrid which has an Alu frame at a cheap price.

There are some discount bike ships on eBay one in winchester and another in Halifax who might have something suitable.

Cheers James
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If you feel you need to ask this question, then s/h may not be for you unless you know somebody who will help check potential buys. S/h might be very, very good, but if it's bad it's awful.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Jupestar wrote:If its just London riding, have you considered single speed. Especially if you plan to use the bike racks in and around town, no better way to get a bent hanger/RD than a London bike rack!

Fixed is best and safest, simplest and cheapest, a low fixed gear. And hand brakes too, although one might never use them

A second-hand cycle from a shop seems a good idea, just do not let them persuade you to have lots of gears
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bullseye

Post by Bullseye »

I'd get yourself a 2nd hand bike from a bike shop if you can, I've passed a few shops with bikes for sale outside. Pedal it on Lee High road seem to have a good few bikes for sale. Buzzing around on a used bike helps you get a feel for what you really would like bike wise when the supply issues get back to normal.
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

Hope not, but could be another 'single poster' never to be seen again. Not been back since 11:00 yesterday, shortly after signing up. Hope they are back as some good advice here.
londoncyclist007

A local bike shop that sells used bikes didn't even cross my mind, i will check these out, but an issue is a lot of them don't want walk in customers due to covid

hamster wrote:It's a dilemma isn't it?

If you aren't confident buying secondhand then don't. However a third way is worth consideirng - secondhand from a bike shop. That way it will have been inspected and be fully roadworthy, and you have some comeback against the seller too.
londoncyclist007

I can probably change a tire and clean the chain that's about it, quite basic really
Jdsk wrote:Welcome.

Do you intend to service it yourself?

Jonathan
londoncyclist007

I really don't know about single speed, can they go up hills ok, and i read somewhere that you cant coast with them and have to keep peddling? that sounds tiring lol

Jupestar wrote:If its just London riding, have you considered single speed. Especially if you plan to use the bike racks in and around town, no better way to get a bent hanger/RD than a London bike rack!