Snakebite puncture

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jdsk

Re: Snakebite puncture

Post by Jdsk »

brianleach wrote: 6 Apr 2021, 9:13am Does a snake bite have to be two slits??
No. Discussed in Jobst Brandt's article, linked above.

Jonathan
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

Thanks. I should have checked before posting. Still not sure how to make the bike rideable though!!
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Tubeless tyres are a good solution to this problem, because you can’t get a snakebite if you have no tube to pinch.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

brianleach wrote: 6 Apr 2021, 11:22am Thanks. I should have checked before posting. Still not sure how to make the bike rideable though!!
It makes me wonder if you definitely had a snakebite puncture caused by bottoming out the tyre/tube the first time if you don't remember hitting anything particularly bad, and you had 98psi in your tyres. Unless you're a heavy rider and sit unaware like a sack of potatoes on the bike. It might've had some other cause, for example a tube weakened due to pinching during installation etc.
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

c
It makes me wonder if you definitely had a snakebite puncture caused by bottoming out the tyre/tube the first time if you don't remember hitting anything particularly bad, and you had 98psi in your tyres. Unless you're a heavy rider and sit unaware like a sack of potatoes on the bike. It might've had some other cause, for example a tube weakened due to pinching during installation etc
I'm certainly no light weight but I definitely try to take the weight off the rear tyre as much as possible. The Hampshire roads are appalling hence my riding my gravel bike over the winter but the two punctures last weekend were on marginally better roads. The strange thing is they were both identical slits in the same place relatively on the tube. I took extra care replacing the second tube at home so took the tyre off and checked the rim tape meticulously and also checked inside the tyre very carefully. I have bought some Schwalbe tubes this time although I would have thought Continentals would be OK.