Cracked carbon frame

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Orbearacer

Cracked carbon frame

Post by Orbearacer »

Anyone knows good place to repair that in reasonable price, please let me know :roll:
London UK
Attachments
IMG_20210327_093747.jpg
IMG_20210327_093730.jpg
[XAP]Bob

Re: Cracked carbon frame

Post by [XAP]Bob »

What has caused the damage, and how confident are you that there are no other damaged sections?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Orbearacer

Post by Orbearacer »

Classic, chain stock in the derailleur wheel after the whole mechanism turned clockwise and hit the rear triangle, breaking out of the hook, of course :shock:
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

In my opinion. The nearest refuse dump. Sorry but that is what happens when the new cycling phenomenon of Carbon gets damaged.
Buy a steel bike.
Sorry, it is my opinion.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

No one worth their salt would try and repair that, it’s in a very bad position. Technically, it could be fixed, but for me, that’s scrap I’m afraid.
slowster

Post by slowster »

There are at least a couple of carbon fibre bike repairers in the UK, and I suggest you do a search of threads on carbon fibre repairs in the singletrackworld forum to see whether any of the posters there have had experience of using them (there is probably a much higher ownership of CF frames among posters on that forum than on this forum).

As for whether it is repairable, you might not be able to get the repair done by someone who is suitably competent and skilled for what you consider a reasonable price, but I am fairly confident that it is technically feasible, e.g. especially compared with a probably trickier repair like the one in the video below.

[youtube]IjwHq6h-5Fk[/youtube]

I suggest you also listen to Raoul Luescher's comments regarding estimating the cost of repairs in this video (from 3:50):

[youtube]g5U2kjg6GKQ[/youtube]
David9694

Post by David9694 »

There’s a handful of companies doing CF repair work if you Google it. Question is, and it’s the same for steel, whether what is possible is also cost-effective?
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

leftpoole wrote:In my opinion.....................Buy a steel bike.
Sorry, it is my opinion.

+1 to that!
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

JohnW wrote:
leftpoole wrote:In my opinion.....................Buy a steel bike.
Sorry, it is my opinion.

+1 to that!

Personally I would say that to repair is the ecological approach. As to whether or not is can be safely and successfully repaired is a matter for a professional repair service to comment on. BTW I've nothing against steel bikes, I own and ride several.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I think you can repair it safely.

A good rubbing of the carbon down to the fibre and rebuilding with extra cloth and resin.

What's the worst that will happen the rear wheel pulls into the chainstay and you grind to a holt?!

Cheers James
Last edited by Jamesh on 29 Mar 2021, 10:01am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Jamesh wrote:I think you can repair it safely.

A good rubbing of the carbon down to the fibre and rebuilding with extra cloth and resin.

What's the worst that will happen the rear wheel pulls into the chainstay and you gone to a holt?!

Cheers James
.........or the rear of the bike collapse onto the road, deposits you on the tarmac and a vehicle runs over you.
Certainly wouldn't be my choice.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

That would mean all 4 stays simultaneously collapsing.

Just as likely to happen to a steel or Alu bike tbh.

I have 2 carbon bikes and have no doubts as to there strength.

I do like the security of my steel bike on a wet and windy ride and there no incentive to press on just the thought of a comfy ride and full mudguards.

Cheers James
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

As far as I can see, that's a very straightforward fibreglass or carbon repair. Because of its location, you can easily sleeve the broken section, and there would be no limitation on how long you wish the sleeve to be or how thick you want to lay it up. I.e. you can choose how strong you want it to be.

Can anyone who's said that that specific job can't be done explain why they're saying that?
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

You can send photos and get a quote from these guys,

https://carbonbikerepair.co.uk/wp/

I don't have any experience of them personally but they have a good reputation. They are based in Surrey.

This is a very interesting video filmed by GCN at their workshop. They seem to be very well set up.

https://youtu.be/k7e004bfHyY

In the video filmed in 2018 the owner quoted repair for a typical chainstay fracture as about £150 plus vat.

It is a repair that can be perfectly successfully done. Maybe some types of damage or location are difficult/unwise to attempt but then that's the same for any material. It's basically a process of wrapping layers of carbon fabric and soaking with epoxy resin around the area, much as the frame was built in the first place.

This guy even did it successfully himself:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.instru ... _page=true

It's a pretty interesting read even if you don't want to try it yourself!
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

DevonDamo wrote:As far as I can see, that's a very straightforward fibreglass or carbon repair. Because of its location, you can easily sleeve the broken section, and there would be no limitation on how long you wish the sleeve to be or how thick you want to lay it up. I.e. you can choose how strong you want it to be.

That's what I'd do -- done plenty of fibre glass repairs on stuff but never worked with carbon fibre mats before -- is it the same resin ?
I am here. Where are you?