First adult bike advice

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
531colin

Re: First adult bike advice

Post by 531colin »

David9694 wrote:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dawes-Gents-Hybrid-Road-Bike-700c-Chrome-Moly-Frame-Shimano-Spec-PR6-Lancs/133700275932?hash=item1f21284edc:g:8DIAAOSwmWhgRo19

If you were looking for a specific, here’s one possible. A fair few more fish in the sea if you poke around a bit in your locality.

Thats decent for the money, hardly been ridden....probably over 20 years old. The brakes need setting up properly https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=57410
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

531colin wrote:
Adjunct Satyr wrote:I’ve just done the same... bought bikes for the family last month. Completely new to cycling and didn’t want to spend a lot incase we didn’t take to it etc.

I bought this for £275: https://www.halfords.com/bikes/hybrid-b ... 46142.html

So far, so good.

That bike is best avoided; the rear cogs go from 14T up, which means its a cheap screw-on block, not a cassette.

Bit harsh? Same on this bike (saved from the tip) which works fine given some tlc and new tyres. I'm well aware of the limitations, but for local trips with the family...
Pioneer.jpg
"42"
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

sihollies wrote:Thanks
I am based in the North. (Blackpool)
As stated previously, I am absolutely clueless in regards to bikes.
Would you reccommend a Mountain bike style for general use, or another style/design??

Again, Thanks
Simon

As you are in Blackpool, why not try these folk? They fix up & restore old bikes. If my experience of the folk at similar recycling charities holds, the folk there will be happy to talk you through the key points of bike ownership.
https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/P ... 648847951/
geomannie
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Squeaker's Raleigh is probably a good 20 years old, and I have worked on crowds of them. Edit...no, its lugged/brazed; its older than that!
So I know that the cycle parts are OK. Nothing wonderful, but OK. (and the brakes need setting up)
EDIT....are they the plastic brake levers where the (MTB pattern) nipple has to pivot in the lever blade? I replaced more cables in those than in all the others put together....unless the nipple pivots smoothly, the cable flexes and fails right at the nipple)
The cycle parts on that Raleigh are better than the absolute rock-bottom made down to a price cycle parts on the cheapest-of-the-cheap current stuff.
Back when that Raleigh was current, you could get a Townsend or Universal bike much cheaper. But even then, a secondhand Raleigh was a better bet than a new Universal.
Go back far enough, and everything was a screw on block...Campag, Chater lea, Harden hubs...
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

531colin wrote:Squeaker's Raleigh is probably a good 20 years old, and I have worked on crowds of them. Edit...no, its lugged/brazed; its older than that!
So I know that the cycle parts are OK. Nothing wonderful, but OK. (and the brakes need setting up)
EDIT....are they the plastic brake levers where the (MTB pattern) nipple has to pivot in the lever blade? I replaced more cables in those than in all the others put together....unless the nipple pivots smoothly, the cable flexes and fails right at the nipple)

Re: 'and the brakes need setting up' - was that a generic comment, or specific to my bike? They certainly work much better now the shoes contact the rim fully, rather than 50% thin air :lol:
Thanks for the tip re: brake nipples - they are indeed the original levers 8)
"42"
531colin

Post by 531colin »

squeaker wrote:
531colin wrote:Squeaker's Raleigh is probably a good 20 years old, and I have worked on crowds of them. Edit...no, its lugged/brazed; its older than that!

Re: 'and the brakes need setting up' - was that a generic comment, or specific to my bike? They certainly work much better now the shoes contact the rim fully, rather than 50% thin air :lol:
Thanks for the tip re: brake nipples - they are indeed the original levers 8)

The straddle bridges are too high; get it so that the straddle bridges are brushing the mudguard and the brake arms are about 45 degrees to horizontal; this is "mid-profile" like this one

Image003 by 531colin, on Flickr

That gives the best compromise between rim/pad clearance and brake power, although the power reduces if you take up pad wear with the cable adjuster in the main cable (because the straddle rises!), which is why I put an adjuster in the straddle cable. Its all explained here, with the maths!https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=57410

Are those the fairly short-arm cantis. made from sheet metal? They were OK.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

531colin wrote:The straddle bridges are too high; get it so that the straddle bridges are brushing the mudguard and the brake arms are about 45 degrees to horizontal;...

Are those the fairly short-arm cantis. made from sheet metal? They were OK.

Ah, gotcha: thanks :)

Yes, pressed steel 8)
RearBrake.jpg
"42"
531colin

Post by 531colin »

KoolStop salmon pink brake pads will also make a big difference!
sihollies

Post by sihollies »

Many thanks to you all for the overwhelming amount of advise.

I have done a bit of searching online, but its like a minefield when you are completely new to this, but I will endeavour.

A work colleague of mine, coincidentally decided to do the same with is family and has just bought an 'Apollo Evade' which on first impressions he likes. He is as clueless as me though :D

Could anyone please advise if the following product is an OK bit of kit for a beginner, and if not, then what parts of it are inferior.?
This will hopefully give me a bit of insight as to what to look for?

[url]
https://www.halfords.com/bikes/mountain ... 60216.html[/url]

Many thanks in advance
Simon
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Will you ever want to fit mudguards, a rack or a child seat?

And if so would it let you? Mudguards and a rack are easy if the fittings are there on the frame. But usually possible otherwise.

Jonathan
sihollies

Post by sihollies »

Thanks Jonathan

I would ideally want to install mudguards, but probably not a rack or child seat.
Would you say, the spec of the bike is ok, and if so, what makes it ok? (or otherwise)

Thanks
Simon
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Sorry, I don't know anything about this type of bike.

I hope someone who does is along soon.

Jonathan
David9694

Post by David9694 »

Looks generally ok to me.

With any new bike buy, make sure they can actually provide it in a reasonable time scale. Don’t die of fright if you pay the £10 build fee and they get something wrong. I couldn’t see if referenced anywhere, but up its usual to have a check after a month or so as it’s usual for new bikes to settle in a bit after a few rides - typically the gear and brake cables will stretch a bit and some random bolt will undo itself.

This one won’t run full mudguards, but you can get a plastic clip-on ass-saver to keep the worst of the wet from puddles streaking up your back. I don’t favour the suspension on the forks myself - expense, weight and a thing to potentially go wrong in the future is my view of that, but I’m not an MTB’er.

With those fat knobbly tyres, it will happily eat up the trails with the family - when I had a bike similar to this, I changed the tyres for a thinner, smoother tyre.

A decent range of gears is offered and disc brakes that will stop you on a sixpence - we argue long into the night on this forum about disc brakes vs rim brakes as discs have got more widespread in road cycling. (Weight, expense, complexity - but let’s not get into all that now.)

Budget wise, leave yourself some spare for a pump, spare inner tubes; most of us carry a cycling multi tool and pliers if going any distance. You should be able to use a car foot pump on this one at home. Halfords will sell you own brand or Muc Off cleaning and lubricating products - keep those in mind as most people enjoy a bike more if it’s clean, lubed and the tyres pumped up. Being from down south, I don’t have ready access to Wilkinson’s, but they do a range of this stuff. (Don’t use WD 40 as a chain lube.)

You don’t need any cycle specific clothing if you’re just pottering around with the family, but you might find the limitations of “civilian” clothing after 60-90 minutes of riding. Avoid denim jeans - chafey, moisture/water-absorbing, massive thick seams in all the wrong places. Gloves of a type that will allow you to operate the twist grip gear controls. Check out the middle aisles of Lidl and Aldi, they some times have cycle clothing that many people swear by.

Welcome to the fellowship. There are bits of tribalism and snobbishness, but it’s all good-natured and fun. A couple of things to get you started - extend your off-side fingers outwards when you meet other cyclists and/ or give “the nod.” Triathletes, should you meet any, like if you do any reservoir trails, aren’t proper cyclists. E-bikers, well, great to see them out on two wheels, let’s hope they eventually become cyclists as well.

Detail about suspension forks https://www.diymountainbike.com/lockout ... tain-bike/
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

sihollies wrote:Thanks Jonathan

I would ideally want to install mudguards, but probably not a rack or child seat.
Would you say, the spec of the bike is ok, and if so, what makes it ok? (or otherwise)

Thanks
Simon

Its horrible. Avoid.
what makes it horrible?
cheap nasty "suspension" ...at this price, immeasurably worse than rigid forks
Screw-on block starts at 14T ....means the cheapest, nastiest cycle parts which money can buy
straight seatpost with horrible bent tin saddle clamp

So the designer has done his job well....he has snared somebody who (by your own admission) knows nowt about bikes while spending the minimum of his employers money.

As earlier in this thread, you would be better off with a better quality secondhand bike.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

As others have said it's cheap has a screw on rather than cassette rear hub - weaker.

Suspension forks are heavy, rust and don't do much.

I'd look at something like a little more expensive like Carrera or Boardman or a little cheaper like the Argos cross hybrid for £150. Same level but without the sus forks.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/6145251

Cheers James