Anti-seize grease

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
danfoto

Anti-seize grease

Post by danfoto »

My tube of Copaslip grease has now finally expired, and it occurs to me to replace it with the white equivalent that seems to be always used nowadays to prevent seizing of ally seatposts in steel frames and suchlike.

Can anyone please recommend a readily-available brand of just such a grease?
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
richardfm

Re: Anti-seize grease

Post by richardfm »

I've used Coppaslip since I was an apprentice 40 years ago. It would never occur to me to use anything else as an anti-seize grease.
Richard M
Cardiff
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

richardfm wrote:I've used Coppaslip since I was an apprentice 40 years ago.

So have I, onlyin my case that was 50 years ago. But I don't want Copaslip now. I want the white stuff :)
Last edited by danfoto on 31 Mar 2021, 7:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Loads of really detailed threads on grease/ anti seize already - Brucey started an outstanding one previously.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

I’ve used Shimano LokNot for about 20 years on bikes. Think they now just call it anti seize grease. I bought it because I believed Coppaslip was designed for steel against steel and was unsure whether using copper between alloy and steel was wise. I’ve no idea if that is true or an issue, but the Shimano stuff certainly works well. Quite expensive but lasts decades. And it is white. :D
Last edited by TheBomber on 31 Mar 2021, 8:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

danfoto wrote:

So have I, but in my case 50 years ago. But I don't want Copaslip now. I want the white stuff :)

the 'white stuff' is just lithium grease, Weldtite, Morgan Blue, Park - well pretty much everyone offers it in varying quantities and prices.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
robc02

Post by robc02 »

I've been using Shimano Anti Seize for the last 15 years or so.

Never had anything seize while using it.... maybe it's doing its job .... or maybe nothing would have seized anyway!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Grease is grease.
The best thing to do, is to not forget to remove stuff and put more grease on the threads.

Copper grease is good for "almost fit and forget" but as I said, the best thing is not to forget to remove stuff and put more grease on the threads. More often, the better.
Mick F. Cornwall
robc02

Post by robc02 »

Mick F wrote:Grease is grease.
The best thing to do, is to not forget to remove stuff and put more grease on the threads.

Copper grease is good for "almost fit and forget" but as I said, the best thing is not to forget to remove stuff and put more grease on the threads. More often, the better.

That's fair enough, but around where I live one winter's commuting is enough to begin to seize bottom bracket cups. ...Or it was before I used anti seize :lol:

I discovered this because my Campag Chorus bottom bracket bearings would just about last a winter, and on a couple of occasions I had to cut the cups out to remove the BB. That is about the time I started to experiment with different lubrication methods and Token BBs, since when I have had no seizures.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

White anti seize is usually either aluminium or ceramic based.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I just use waxoyl on my seatpins - rarely ride in the rain and have mudguards anyway, which makes a difference.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

foxyrider wrote:
danfoto wrote:

So have I, but in my case 50 years ago. But I don't want Copaslip now. I want the white stuff :)

the 'white stuff' is just lithium grease, Weldtite, Morgan Blue, Park - well pretty much everyone offers it in varying quantities and prices.

Is it just lithium grease? White lithium grease is white. White anti seize is white. Toothpaste is white too. Are they all the same?

In fact, Shimano anti seize paste doesn't use a lithium soap but an aluminium one. (It shares some ingredients with toothpaste btw.)

Many anti seizes have grease bases (ie oil plus soap) but in contrast to lubricating greases they will typically have much pronounced higher solid contents, e.g. fine copper in copaslip or other metallic compounds, molybdenum disulfide, various other stuff that will have the aim of preventing seizing and galling. Regular grease is ok in a pinch, anti seize is better if you've got it.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

I have been experimenting with 'red rubber grease' for several years now - for instance when I have had the pedals off, red rubber one side, copper slip the other. And so far red rubber has performed as well.
Syd

Anti-seize grease

Post by Syd »

We use fluorinated grease frequently at work (primarily as it is oxygen safe) and it’s non-reactive nature interested me.

I used it on my commuter and, over a winter, it seemed to outperform the grease I had been using till then.
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

Well chaps this is all very interesting but not exactly helpful. As I said in my OP ...

danfoto wrote:My tube of Copaslip grease has now finally expired, and it occurs to me to replace it with the white equivalent that seems to be always used nowadays to prevent seizing of ally seatposts in steel frames and suchlike.

Can anyone please recommend a readily-available brand of just such a grease?