Anti-seize grease

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Syd

Re: Anti-seize grease

Post by Syd »

danfoto wrote:Well chaps this is all very interesting but not exactly helpful. As I said in my OP ...

danfoto wrote:My tube of Copaslip grease has now finally expired, and it occurs to me to replace it with the white equivalent that seems to be always used nowadays to prevent seizing of ally seatposts in steel frames and suchlike.

Can anyone please recommend a readily-available brand of just such a grease?

weldtite tf2 lithium grease
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

Syd wrote:weldtite tf2 lithium grease

Hurrah! Thank you, sir :)
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

danfoto wrote:

That's grease, not anti seize, and it's red! Park, Shimano and others all sell white anti seizes, e.g. https://fawkes-cycles.co.uk/park-tool-anti-seize-p15303
Last edited by alexnharvey on 1 Apr 2021, 8:43am, edited 1 time in total.
Syd

Post by Syd »

alexnharvey wrote:
danfoto wrote:

That's grease, anti seize. Park, Shimano and others all sell one, e.g. https://fawkes-cycles.co.uk/park-tool-anti-seize-p15303

danfoto asked for recommendations for a grease in the post I replied to.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

danfoto wrote:My tube of Copaslip grease has now finally expired, and it occurs to me to replace it with the white equivalent that seems to be always used nowadays to prevent seizing of ally seatposts in steel frames and suchlike.

Are you sure it is me that is not reading carefully enough? :roll: The white equivalents are likely to be the park and shmano anti-seizes.

People often refer to anti-seize as 'grease' or copper grease for obvious reasons. Greasy paste would be a good description of most antiseizes given the solid content although there are some that are smooth.

If you are a regular maintainer of your bike, grease will often do the job for several years. If you happen to use one of the greases whose thickeners have their own antiseize properties even better. If there is a chance that the part will be installed and left for 5-10 years without removal (cartridge BBs being the classic cycling example) it is better to use the right stuff than to hope that the grease will be adequate.

I think your fluorinated grease happens to have better antiseize properties BTW.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Lithium grease should not be used on the interface between aluminium and steel - this has been widely known in the car trade for a long time.
I think the effect over time is to cold weld the two together.
I'd suggest either silicon grease or teflon grease.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

I have always used whatever grease I have to hand on my bikes, doesn't seem to make much difference.
I think Copaslip was designed to be anti slip in high temperature applications, like moving car brake parts.
Most important as someone said, make sure everything is greased!
profpointy

Post by profpointy »

I've fairly casually used coppaslip as a general purpose anti-seize (bottom bracket threads and such), and general purpose actual grease for things like bearings. Now if I'd run out of coppaslip I'd go to the their website to check the proper stuff for steel-on-steel, or alloy-on-steel etc. No doubt a tube to last the next 20 years is only a fiver so could push the boat out and get a tube of each type that you might need
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Any brand of lithium grease
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

leftpoole wrote:Any brand of lithium grease

No.
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

If you'd bought a tub not a tube you'd have never had this issue.................
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

I'd recommend the Shimano or Park anti seize. They're both aluminum solid additive and are silver in color. A tube will last a long time and is convenient for application. The 'brand surcharge' is offset by the fact that I trust the product to be good in this case.

As other people have said TF2 is a normal lithium grease. Normal lithium greases will of course have anti seize action to some extent but they don't have the solid elements added to them specifically for purpose. They don't work as well as dedicated anti seize.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

gregoryoftours wrote:I'd recommend the Shimano or Park anti seize. They're both aluminum solid additive and are silver in color. A tube will last a long time and is convenient for application. The 'brand surcharge' is offset by the fact that I trust the product to be good in this case.

As other people have said TF2 is a normal lithium grease. Normal lithium greases will of course have anti seize action to some extent but they don't have the solid elements added to them specifically for purpose. They don't work as well as dedicated anti seize.

The shimano anti-seize is white, my father-in-law uses it. It has an aluminium thickener (soap) but the additives are mostly calcium carbonate, a bit of zinc oxide (both white) and a pinch of silica.

Never used the park one myself but it looks silver in the adverts.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Permatex by all accounts is meant to be excellent, although the pricing on Amazon is wonky - 8 oz. @ £25.98 costing only twice as much as 1 oz. so it pays to buy in bulk!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Permatex-81343 ... UEOLO?th=1

Park Tool anti-seize, on the other hand, costs £9.99 for 4 oz. so for once it's good value - better than Permatex whichever way you buy it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Park-Tool-ASC- ... S7X75D12E4