Help with brake pads.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
MIB2020

Help with brake pads.

Post by MIB2020 »

I have Shimano 105 R7000 series hydraulic brakes on my gravel bike. I need new pads with fins, would like to try something like EBC and so far it seems I also need a degree in engineering !
All LO3A Resin, front marked R SSC09, L SSD27. Rear marked R SRI24, L SRJ15. No idea why each pad has a different reference. Looking on the inter web it either directs me to Shimano pads or can’t find confirmation that compatible pads fit.
Can anyone simplify the issue please.
gregoryoftours

Re: Help with brake pads.

Post by gregoryoftours »

I don't think that many other manufacturers are making finned road pads yet, but if you're prepared to use finless versions those pads are a very common pattern.

Fins are used on road disc brakes to help with heat dissipation because 140mm rotors don't dissipate as well as larger sizes. Also road descents can be very prolonged and brake use pattern is different to MTB. But they aren't the be all and end all. They might help a bit in the event of conditions likely to overheat the pads (and are a lot more expensive). Road disc brakes of other brands eg SRAM don't offer finned pads, but are not being crushed by lawsuits through heat related road disc brake malfunction.

I'd look for compatibility with the product code on your actual disc brake caliper rather than looking for r7000 compatibility. I think that yours are BR-R7070. The finless version pattern of your pads is K03S/2S. Any other brands' models based on this pattern will also work, you just have to make sure the compound is compatible with your rotors.

Shimano themselves show cross-compatibility on their charts between the finned and finless versions of their pad designs. The finned pads are side specific because the fins aren't symmetrical.
Screenshot_2021-04-09-12-57-58-221_com.android.chrome.png
Screenshot_2021-04-09-13-04-38-118_com.foxit.mobile.pdf.lite.png
Last edited by gregoryoftours on 10 Apr 2021, 1:03pm, edited 6 times in total.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

If you definitely want finned Swissstop is a third party option:

https://www.swissstop.com/brakepads/dis ... exotherm2/

There are also a couple of finless models that are compatible. They have a caliper model search function on their website that actually works!
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

I wanted finned pads too and went with Swissstop 34s but they aren't cheap. When the original pads were ruined by fluid I went cheap finless Shimano K03S Resin pads from the LBS for £10.
chrisjordan

Post by chrisjordan »

I wanted finned pads as well, and settled on Swissstop 34s, which aren't inexpensive. I bought cheap finless Shimano K03S Resin pads from the LBS for £10 when the original pads were destroyed by fluid.
MIB2020

Post by MIB2020 »

Thanks all, most helpful, I don’t think I need finned pads as I shouldn’t be doing anything too severe but until I read the comments I didn’t know I could fit something else.
Will have a look now and get something on order.

Cheers