Touring shoes

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
rjb

Re: Touring shoes

Post by rjb »

My lake SPD shoes came with spikes that you could screw in to similarly positioned holes near the toe end. You had to be careful you didn't stand on your tyre. :lol:
I never used the spikes but could be useful if off roading in muddy conditions. The shoes are long gone but I must have the spikes residing somewhere in a draw.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks guys!
Question answered. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Wot they said :) Although I wouldn't think of using them for serious off-road riding. They look and feel like a road shoe.
Richard of York

Post by Richard of York »

I endorse the views of others on here about the Exostar shoes from Spa. Had a pair as main shoes for 3 years, excellent, robust and vfm.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

NUKe wrote: 6 Apr 2021, 9:40am I don't like walking in cleated shoes. So for touring if I want to walk about once the Destination is reached I would either ride on flat pedals and walking shoes, or take a light weight pair of shoes in my luggage to wear off the bike, that way the shoes can remain cycling orientated.

That said Shimano touring sandals can be a great option for Summer touring.
Ive found the Shimano shoes are perfect to walk around in. Not a penguin in sight!!!

Cheers James
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

Thanks for your responses. Taking the point about the velcro strap i have ordered shimano mt5 and looking forward to using them in the warm spring sunshine next week.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

I have a pair of PlanetX own brand mountain bike shoes which have recessed SPDs that don't hit the floor.

They do scream cyclist though, and they aren't the world's most breathable things. Those Giro's look smart.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

The mt5 shoes i ordered were too small so back they go and as they don't have my size I am ordering stelvio from spa. I wear 43 so will order that but do stelvio come up a bit small? Also not sure about laces and wondered if a toggle would work. Faffing a out a bit but I like my kit to last a long time so like to get it right. Thanks
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

roberts8 wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 10:20amThe mt5 shoes i ordered were too small so back they go and as they don't have my size I am ordering stelvio from spa
Had you already allowed for the systematic difference between Shimano sizes and usual sizes?

Jonathan
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Shoes are about personal fit. Feet are a complex 3d shape and "shoe size" is a pretty vague way to approximate that, so try on alternatives if possible (even if that means ordering a few pairs and sending a load back).

I tend to tour in Shimano SD5 sandals in summer, but I can only get away with those as the lack of upper means the relative narrowness of Shimano footwear isn't a problem. I find their shoes far too narrow for me and I have to go two sizes up to get wide enough, and then they're too long. So they're a "no" from me... but my wife gets on fine with them.

I'm currently using some Specialized BG SPuD compatible ones which I quite like... though a quick trawl suggests the bargain price I paid was because they were end of line.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...