Aldi Cycling and Camping Stuff Coming: 15 & 18 April and 19 Sept 21

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
simonhill

Aldi Cycling and Camping Stuff Coming: 15 & 18 April and 19 Sept 21

Post by simonhill »

As the forum's Aldi representative I thought I would draw the members' attention to these forthcoming events. No details yet (on the app anyway), but I'm sure sure some will soon be forthcoming.
Last edited by simonhill on 10 Sep 2021, 7:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marcus Aurelius

Re: Aldi Cycling and Camping Stuff Coming: 15 & 18 April

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

It’s Thursday the 15th for Cycling gear, and Sunday 18th for Camping gear. The Aldi cycling kit is always worth having in my experience, particularly the light sets, and cycling leggings.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Are people still looking at Aldi for cycling kit with the drop off in quality a few years back? You not been burnt by forever returning lights that fail yet??? Clothing that falls apart at the seams or the zips or pocket zips? I don't think I've bothered for a couple of years now because of the quality issues. If you shop around it used to be possible to get better kit for the same price anyway.

Serious question because I can't believe people still get excited by Aldi cycling sales.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Its just tat. GT85 is all I'll be buying.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Like @pvt I get my GT85 there. I’ve a couple of years in stock.
Still wearing their winter gloves from 10 yrs ago a bit shabby now but still intact. Bought some of their shorts about 8 yrs ago but threw them out a year later. Rubbish.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I’ve yet to have an issue with the lights. I’ve bought a set each year for the last three years, they’re all still going fine. There have been issues with the pads and seams with the leggings, but they’re so cheap, I don’t care, as long as they last until the next years ‘event’ that’s fine. The jerseys and base layers have been superb, I’ve still got the merino tops and base layers from years ago, with no issues. There’s always going to be issues with ‘snobbery’, but that’s just pathetic behaviour, that’s best ignored.
Rmr25

Post by Rmr25 »

Couldn't agree more, good post.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Well your experience of aldi bike kit over the last few years certainly differ from mine. It's not snobbery to call out questionable quality when you see it. I'm certainly not the only one questioning aldi bike sales on quality ground. It's right around the Internet wherever cycling matters are discussed. Other forums are more questioning than here though.

My experience is first set of cob lights copied from a well known and respected brand worked OK, still have one or two of them, some failed after a few years which wasn't bad.

Then second year I got two more sets, design was changed but it was different to the brand they originally copied, was there a legal reason for that? One set went back after one week to be replaced. Eventually both sets failed within a year.

Third set, another design, failed within weeks. Got money back. As did the year after. Stopped buying lights after that.

Clothing? Still use a few but they're not fully functional. I've learnt how to repair the zip on a couple which isn't fun when it's a cold, dark morning or evening. The rear pockets of all jackets fail within a year. Never had an aldi pocket zip on the back last.

Base layers? Merino on for cooler months but durability isn't as good as brands costing a little bit more. Synthetics are real sweaty items imho. Unusual because I've bought other brands at same or even lower prices in the same material but that were OK.

As I said It's our experience not snobbery that makes us question aldi cycling kit. Ymmv but that doesn't mean our experience makes it snobbery.

PS I didn't list everything that worked or failed but basically from when aldi first opened near me to maybe 2 years ago cycling products bought there have been getting worse IME.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Maybe both views are right, when one considers how much cheaper a**i cycling goods are compared to some other cycling products. Cheap is good, but paying more for quality is good too?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Marcus Aurelius wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 10:47pm There have been issues with the pads and seams with the leggings, but they’re so cheap, I don’t care, as long as they last until the next years ‘event’ that’s fine
This is where my thinking differs to yours.
Cheap you say? If the £12 item lasts for twelve months then that’s a pound a month.
Equivalent cost of something lasting five years is £60. I reckon a £40 pair will last that easily
Ten years £120 the price of good quality which will give you 20 years easily. you see where I’m going with this. I’ve a drawer with some cycling tops in all bought in the nineties cost per month now isn’t worth working out.
Merino base layer tops, I bought a couple initially well pleased with them for the price. Twelve months later still wearing them but seemed to have very little, merino qualities, left in them. I gave up with them before three year old. How much were they? I think around £20. Compare with what I’m wearing today. A 3 yo Findra top £35 sold with a fault I can’t find. Still looks and feels like it did three years ago and I fully expect to be wearing it in another 5 years time. If I threw it out at 7 years it’s still cheaper than ALDI.
You think it’s snobbery I think it’s being wise and resisting being sucked in for a cheap quick fix of consumerism. Carry on with your annual cast off but just how sustainable is it?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Generally you get what you pay for.
Cheap jackets come with cheap zips - a major reason why they are no longer usable after a short while.
I've bought several clothing items from aldi, none of which are in use ( some have already gone to the textile bank at the tip).
OTOH I have a Briko thermal underlayer and a Lusso thermal jacket both of which have survived for twenty five years.
I've got Briko summer underlayers that are still in use after fifteen years.
If you have the funds it's probably cheaper in the long run to pay the extra.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I have a crane jacket and tights and they have been fine.

Put them in the wash and they come up clean again.

I'm not precious about them. For commuting you might need one every year so an altura might be better value.

But for a weekend warrior like me they are fine.

Cheers James
Grumpy-Grandad

Post by Grumpy-Grandad »

philvantwo wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 10:25pm Its just tat. GT85 is all I'll be buying.
As a new cyclist I'm about to buy cleaners, lubes etc ...... so ..... is GT85 one to have?

Steve
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Grumpy-Grandad wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 9:48am
philvantwo wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 10:25pm Its just tat. GT85 is all I'll be buying.
As a new cyclist I'm about to buy cleaners, lubes etc ...... so ..... is GT85 one to have?
It's a widely used water displacer.

I wouldn't use it as a cleaner, chain cleaner, chain lubricant, bearing grease or penetrating fluid...

Jonathan
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I think it's better than wd40 as seems to have more lubricating properties. Brucey mentioned it a while back.

I use it to rinse my bikes after wet rides.

I used the Wilko version for a week whilst in holiday and it did the job of lubricating the chain each ride.

Cheers James