Aldi Cycling and Camping Stuff Coming: 15 & 18 April and 19 Sept 21

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Paulatic

Re: Aldi Cycling and Camping Stuff Coming: 15 & 18 April

Post by Paulatic »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 2:28pm I'm not at all confident that a £120 pair of bib shorts bought now would last for ten years let alone 20
Can’t help you there that price is out of my league and plus I don’t use them any more.
If I did pay that much and they didn’t last 20 years I’d be a bit miffed. :lol:
Thankfully moths have never bothered me yet. Are they more of a problem if you store things perhaps. I usually only have two of things one I’m wearing and one I’m wearing when I take this one off. With merino I also wear it 52 weeks a year as you only see sheep under shade after they’ve been clipped. :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

For me, moths have only got into things stored "loose" in wardrobes. Things shut up in drawers have not been bothered. The two things they love more than a merino top are Shetland wool and a silk tie. The latter doesn't really matter cos I can't remember when I last wore a tie. :wink:
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

DevonDamo wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 3:06pm
Bmblbzzz wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 2:28pmI do have an Aldi merino top bought maybe eight years ago which I'm very pleased with; but so are the moths... I haven't seen a similar design recently. (I think it was Aldi, might have been Lidl.)
If it's the black one with the white horizontal stripe at the front, that was Lidl. My kind of clothing, i.e. very practical for the bike but not out of place in the pub. I think they still come up in their bike sales from time to time.
Dark blue with a little pocket at the back. Just checked, label is Crane brand which I think means Aldi.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Don't all rush down to Aldi on 15/04 cause you'll be too early by about a month.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/specialbuysdelays
GranvilleThomas

Post by GranvilleThomas »

The last couple years Aldi have done a small usb front light which seems to be a reasonable copy of the Lezyne Microdrive 500XL. I've got two of those, and they are robust, run for a decent time on lower settings. I've used one on a FNRttC ride and it lasted from the midnight start to the 5am sunrise easily. Although there's no cut off, the beam shape is widened by the two LEDs being side by side, and it can be used sensibly when angled correctly.

They are so close in designexternally, that I used a spare Lezyne strap to replace one I ripped (one downside of the Aldi light is the softer rubber mounting strap).

The mitts are often decent enough, my favourite cycling socks are from Aldi, and the cycle glasses can be ok. Unfortunately the clothing seems to have dropped in quality over the last few years.
Yes these are the ones I bought and I would highly recommend them. Very good lights and not as bright as my 'main beam'. The Lezyne version would cost considerably more.

The back light has been strapped to my helmet as a backup for a couple of years.

If you buy nothing else then buy these, great as a back up light if nothing else and not bright enough to blind anyone but the 'colour' of the led's make them just about visible in traffic amongst the latest over bright poorly adjusted car lights, which is what you need if you want to try and stay alive obviously.

They just about put out enough light for riding in a dark lane, but I use my 'main beam' lights for that purpose anyway :D

People who think these ALDI lights are too bright for the road are probably suffering from some kind of Light sensitivity or “photophobia” and would say the same if you had a glow worm taped to your bars :lol:

I reviewed the front light on this page:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=141234&start=15
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Redvee wrote: 9 Apr 2021, 1:03am Don't all rush down to Aldi on 15/04 cause you'll be too early by about a month.

Thanks for this, as OP I thought I'd got my dates wrong, but see from the link it's only some of the items that are going to be late. I'll still be there for a look next week when I buy my food. The curse of Suez?
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

simonhill wrote: 9 Apr 2021, 8:04am
Redvee wrote: 9 Apr 2021, 1:03am Don't all rush down to Aldi on 15/04 cause you'll be too early by about a month.

Thanks for this, as OP I thought I'd got my dates wrong, but see from the link it's only some of the items that are going to be late. I'll still be there for a look next week when I buy my food. The curse of Suez?
A mountain bike it says?
That should be interesting/perhaps horrifying.
Sweep
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

GranvilleThomas wrote: 9 Apr 2021, 7:26am
The last couple years Aldi have done a small usb front light which seems to be a reasonable copy of the Lezyne Microdrive 500XL. I've got two of those, and they are robust, run for a decent time on lower settings. I've used one on a FNRttC ride and it lasted from the midnight start to the 5am sunrise easily. Although there's no cut off, the beam shape is widened by the two LEDs being side by side, and it can be used sensibly when angled correctly.
They just about put out enough light for riding in a dark lane, but I use my 'main beam' lights for that purpose anyway :D

People who think these ALDI lights are too bright for the road are probably suffering from some kind of Light sensitivity or “photophobia” and would say the same if you had a glow worm taped to your bars :lol:
Doesn't sound like the same light - he's used it for a 5-hour night-ride through quiet country lanes. Probably brighter than a glow-worm.
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Sweep wrote: 9 Apr 2021, 10:52amA mountain bike it says?
That should be interesting/perhaps horrifying.
Google tells me Aldi were selling this e-mountain bike in Germany for 969 euros last July (and Lidl were also selling it for 1099 euros):

https://rfsp3q6ptkmv7za5rmpzza6vbe-jj2c ... nbike.html

(Apologies for the suspicious-looking link! It was the best English language version I could find, but if you want to research this bike yourself, do a search on 'Alu-MTB 650B prophete aldi.')

I wouldn't be surprised if this is what they're going to be selling in the UK as the same Aldi specials tend to pop up sequentially in different countries. (I've noticed this when searching online for reviews of products listed in upcoming UK Aldi sales.) It doesn't look too bad if you're into that kind of thing and you're not intending to use it as a mountain bike. The components get panned in reviews, e.g. the forks for being heavy and not having the necessary adjustability to do anything challenging off-road. However, other than being bottom-of-the-range, the components all appear to be vaguely respectable rather than 'made out of lead' and should be good enough for commuting and bike paths. My neighbour recently bought a mountain bike direct from China for around the same price, but it was truly dreadful whereas this Aldi one looks to be in a different league.
james01

Post by james01 »

mjr wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 12:01pm
Aldi have been only selling naff little "be seen" lights and worse MTB not-road-legal lights for the last few years. Lidl recently sold a road-legal 70 lux set for £13. Maybe they have some left near you.

[/quote]

I bought these 70 lux Lidl lights a couple of weeks ago. Excellent value, good beam pattern and very bright. Annoyingly these new lights are totally incompatible with the rigid bracket system on older Lidl lights, and the strap-on fitting can be a bit wobbly. And they've gone over to USB-C cables so I now need two types of cables for my various lights.
nez

Post by nez »

Paulatic wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 8:21am
Marcus Aurelius wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 10:47pm There have been issues with the pads and seams with the leggings, but they’re so cheap, I don’t care, as long as they last until the next years ‘event’ that’s fine
This is where my thinking differs to yours.
Cheap you say? If the £12 item lasts for twelve months then that’s a pound a month.
Equivalent cost of something lasting five years is £60. I reckon a £40 pair will last that easily
Ten years £120 the price of good quality which will give you 20 years easily. you see where I’m going with this. I’ve a drawer with some cycling tops in all bought in the nineties cost per month now isn’t worth working out.
Merino base layer tops, I bought a couple initially well pleased with them for the price. Twelve months later still wearing them but seemed to have very little, merino qualities, left in them. I gave up with them before three year old. How much were they? I think around £20. Compare with what I’m wearing today. A 3 yo Findra top £35 sold with a fault I can’t find. Still looks and feels like it did three years ago and I fully expect to be wearing it in another 5 years time. If I threw it out at 7 years it’s still cheaper than ALDI.
You think it’s snobbery I think it’s being wise and resisting being sucked in for a cheap quick fix of consumerism. Carry on with your annual cast off but just how sustainable is it?
According to this logic, be very mean with what you buy just before you die. As I verge on old age I've already begun to put this plan into action.
GranvilleThomas

Post by GranvilleThomas »

mattheus wrote: 9 Apr 2021, 12:18pm
GranvilleThomas wrote: 9 Apr 2021, 7:26am

Doesn't sound like the same light - he's used it for a 5-hour night-ride through quiet country lanes. Probably brighter than a glow-worm.
I apologise if my sense of humour went over your head :)

For it to last 5 hrs it would have to be on the lowest setting which is definitely not particularly bright but is better than nothing,

The light lasts for 1hr on full steady mode and 2hrs on full flashing mode which is bright enough but not bright enough to dazzle other road users.

I can only assume that ALDI must have some time in the past produced a serious off-road light, if so, that is NOT what I am talking about.

The light set I am referring to is pictured below.

The front light is about 3 inches long with the charge cover removed, so obviously the battery inside is small and so will have a small capacity.

It would be physically impossible with current technology to make a massively bright light with such a small battery, this is why more powerful lights are physically bigger ie a bigger battery, that is just physics and nothing is going to change that until battery technology changes.

I would highly recommend these lights from mine and my daughters personal experiences, sadly many have a tendency to criticize products they have no personal experience of and are merely referencing their ill informed prejudices and obsessions.

I would not use any light on the road if it dazzled other road users and i certainly would not have fitted a set to my daughters bike if that were the case.

I do not agree with using mega bright off road lights on the road, it is counter productive and dangerous.

These lights are not like that and to suggest otherwise is quite frankly ludicrous.

No body is forcing anyone to buy these lights I just think that judging from my over 50yrs of cycling experience that these light are particularly good value for money and if available locally I will probably buy another couple of sets in case the originals get damaged or stolen.
Attachments
Not very bright ALDI lights.jpg
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

DevonDamo wrote: 9 Apr 2021, 12:34pmGoogle tells me Aldi were selling this e-mountain bike in Germany....
Ignore my previous post. Just stumbled across an online version of Aldi's special buys leaflet which details what's going to be in their upcoming sale, and the mountain bike is a hardtail non-electric job for three hundred quid:

https://leaflets.aldi.co.uk/view/1010962972/4/

The only other thing that jumps out at me is a chain cleaning device which is a different design to the one we've previously seen in Lidl/Aldi, and a bike cleaning kit.

Re. lights: they're selling (1) low-power silicone-strap front/rear sets and (2) what looks to be a high-power rear-only - all USB rechargeable. I find these are worth having as 'be seen' lights on my mountain bike for when I'm on the road getting to/from the trails. (Once I'm on the trails, I use my horrific retina burners.) The fact they're rechargeable makes them a bit pointless for any of my other bikes - because I'd only want to have them as back-ups in case my main lights failed, and sod's law says you wouldn't have recharged them when you needed to use them.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

simonhill wrote: 9 Apr 2021, 8:04am

Yes, I'm guessing the pause in Suez is to blame and will be for supply chain issues for the next month or two.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Had a look at that leaflet - not much there.

Agree that not as good as it used to be.

Will be out today in the chill in my excellent £20 aldi waterproof top - my favourite for touring and general purpose - still regret not picking up another for £10.

Have always found the merino base layers pretty decent (maybe some folks on here with negative experience with them are washing them too too much) but none that I can see this time.
Sweep