Aldi Cycling and Camping Stuff Coming: 15 & 18 April and 19 Sept 21

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jdsk

Re: Aldi Cycling and Camping Stuff Coming: 15 & 18 April

Post by Jdsk »

Brucey on GT85:
viewtopic.php?p=1036723#p1036723

Jonathan
GranvilleThomas

Post by GranvilleThomas »

I have been using GT85 for more years than I can remember on my chains and just about everything else on my bike apart from bearings and so will grab a couple of cans in ALDI as usual.

It has proven very successful for me, some like to pay loads of money for little bottles of 'special' lubricant but I chose to use GT85 and have had no problems over the years regardless of what the doom merchants will tell you :)

I have bought a couple of the rechargeable light sets and they have been very good in all weather for a few years on mine and my daughters bikes, they do not have a beam cut off but they are not bright enough to cause other road users any problems and less of a worry if one gets stolen given the cost.

I also like the cordless computers for the big digit display, but had to modify them to make them waterproof and to take a bigger battery (CR2032) and the spoke magnet is a bit of a challenge, shall we say!

Like others I haven't bought any ALDI clothing for a few years now but I still have an ALDI jacket I bought over 10yrs ago still going strong and a few pairs of very old tights that may be around the same age - they don't make them like they used to :)

I will probably pop in ALDI on the day to have a look around but may well come home with a chainsaw or a pint of milk instead of any bike stuff.
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

I recently purchased approx 5 years supply of GT 85 on Amazon for £2.50 per can.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

We only have the brother here Lidl -- they do a very good " 4 man " tent made by Crivit for only £35. I use it as a one man tent but you could comfortably sleep two in it.
I am here. Where are you?
bongo

Post by bongo »

Thanks for heads up. Is this for Scotland too? Need to be quick around here as they sell out quickly. Hope they have a good front light which I need.
Have bought cycling/outdoor stuff which has been excellent and long-lasting. Lidl too, their Crivit Ski thermals are brilliant, use for winter cycling and hillwalking.
Cheers
mjr

Post by mjr »

bongo wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 11:58am Thanks for heads up. Is this for Scotland too? Need to be quick around here as they sell out quickly. Hope they have a good front light which I need.
Aldi have been only selling naff little "be seen" lights and worse MTB not-road-legal lights for the last few years. Lidl recently sold a road-legal 70 lux set for £13. Maybe they have some left near you.

I agree with earlier comments that Aldi bike special quality nosedived a few years ago. It's rarely better than wilkinson's quality now but only available part year.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

leftpoole wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 10:39am I recently purchased approx 5 years supply of GT 85 on Amazon for £2.50 per can.
Is that ALDI price now as well?
Always been £1.99
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mjr

Post by mjr »

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=145155 is a duplicate topic about the camping offer.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Details of what is available not yet published. I've got the app and noticed so I thought I would post. Info also available on their website. Thanks for those who posted appreciation and no thanks to those who roll out the same negative waves each time.

I normally use the app to see what vegetables are on offer that week. I rarely even visit middle area. I like their veg, the booze is OK and other stuff especially tinned tomatoes.

Some of their cycling stuff is tacky nic nacs, other good value basic stuff.

I like their mitts. Have a rain jacket I use as heavy duty windproof, good for fifteen quid. Got a track pump four years ago, still going strong but I only use it fortnightly for 55psi. Presumably it will fall to pieces soon.
mcshroom

Post by mcshroom »

The last couple years Aldi have done a small usb front light which seems to be a reasonable copy of the Lezyne Microdrive 500XL. I've got two of those, and they are robust, run for a decent time on lower settings. I've used one on a FNRttC ride and it lasted from the midnight start to the 5am sunrise easily. Although there's no cut off, the beam shape is widened by the two LEDs being side by side, and it can be used sensibly when angled correctly.

They are so close in designexternally, that I used a spare Lezyne strap to replace one I ripped (one downside of the Aldi light is the softer rubber mounting strap).

The mitts are often decent enough, my favourite cycling socks are from Aldi, and the cycle glasses can be ok. Unfortunately the clothing seems to have dropped in quality over the last few years.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

mcshroom wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 1:50pm Although there's no cut off, the beam shape is widened by the two LEDs being side by side, and it can be used sensibly when angled correctly.
Sadly no-one does angle those lights down enough. Not in the real world (i.e. cyclists that actually ride towards me in the dark.)

Conical beams are evil - just say no!
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

This is where my thinking differs to yours.
Cheap you say? If the £12 item lasts for twelve months then that’s a pound a month.
Equivalent cost of something lasting five years is £60. I reckon a £40 pair will last that easily
Ten years £120 the price of good quality which will give you 20 years easily. you see where I’m going with this. I’ve a drawer with some cycling tops in all bought in the nineties cost per month now isn’t worth working out.
I'm not at all confident that a £120 pair of bib shorts bought now would last for ten years let alone 20.

I do have an Aldi merino top bought maybe eight years ago which I'm very pleased with; but so are the moths... I haven't seen a similar design recently. (I think it was Aldi, might have been Lidl.)
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

mattheus wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 2:09pmSadly no-one does angle those lights down enough. Not in the real world (i.e. cyclists that actually ride towards me in the dark.)

Conical beams are evil - just say no!
I agree with you, but I am the exception that breaks that rule. I occasionally get pedestrians thanking me because I angle my retina-burning conical-beamed monstrosities right down at the floor until I've passed them. On my road bikes, I keep them switched off except for when I'm retaliating against the many clowns who ride round with these things pointing at eye level. Childish, I know, but I'm pretty sure people need to experience the problem they're causing others in order to develop a level of self-consciousness about it.
Bmblbzzz wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 2:28pmI do have an Aldi merino top bought maybe eight years ago which I'm very pleased with; but so are the moths... I haven't seen a similar design recently. (I think it was Aldi, might have been Lidl.)
If it's the black one with the white horizontal stripe at the front, that was Lidl. My kind of clothing, i.e. very practical for the bike but not out of place in the pub. I think they still come up in their bike sales from time to time.
mjr

Post by mjr »

DevonDamo wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 3:06pm I agree with you, but I am the exception that breaks that rule. I occasionally get pedestrians thanking me because I angle my retina-burning conical-beamed monstrosities right down at the floor until I've passed them.
Even that indicates how exceptional it is. Maybe labelling laws can be improved to require torches to be labelled as "not designed for road vehicle lighting" or similar.

Anyway, hopefully Aldi might have some decent bike lights this time instead! Wait and see...
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

DevonDamo wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 3:06pmI agree with you, but I am the exception that breaks that rule. I occasionally get pedestrians thanking me because I angle my retina-burning conical-beamed monstrosities right down at the floor until I've passed them.
You're not alone in trying to avoid dazzling. How nice to be thanked.

DevonDamo wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 3:06pmOn my road bikes, I keep them switched off except for when I'm retaliating against the many clowns who ride round with these things pointing at eye level. Childish, I know, but I'm pretty sure people need to experience the problem they're causing others in order to develop a level of self-consciousness about it.
Please don't. It might be dangerous. As are they.

Jonathan